Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

im waiting for the ps2 version cause the min specs will be to much for my pc and i say many many others i here its min memory is like 256 or even above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

As far as i know, the min memory is 64. You wont see 256 mb's on a minimum requirements list for a couple of years yet methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Swifty-:
    As far as i know, the min memory is 64. You wont see 256 mb's on a minimum requirements list for a couple of years yet methinks.</font>

Windows won't even run in 64MB, so I doubt the game will either

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Absolutely amazing looking. I'm going to be playing that non-stop as soon as one of the cafe's (Netshop or DnC) get copies in... Nyomnyom...

The only thing I don't like is the way Payne is always smiling in that gayish way. frown.gif

-Dark-Angel-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Windows won't even run in 64MB, so I doubt the game will either</font>

Depends on which version of Windows you're talking about, Hobbes. I've often seen 95 running (somewhat unhappily I'd admit) on as little as 12/16MB in the past.

K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

I got it (!)
    It runs sweetly actually. Loads of Detail, smooth frame rate , bullet cases bouncing around in slow-motion ...
    Its very Linear and perhaps a tad repetitive though(?)
    Great story, Guns , and slow motion ...
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:
    Depends on which version of Windows you're talking about, Hobbes. I've often seen 95 running (somewhat unhappily I'd admit) on as little as 12/16MB in the past.

K

</font>

I used to run windows95 on a 485dx4-100 with 8 megs of RAM. Upgraded to 16megs which made the world of difference. Ran win98 on my p200-mmx with 32megs and it ran fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Just finished it a few minutes ago.
    My opinoin hasn't changed much, it's utterly impossible to kill the tougher enemies without your trusty Bullet-Time.

Like Kaz, I doubt it's replayability.

Some jokes thrown in for good measure, one in particular had me in stiches biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fidelis:
    Just finished it a few minutes ago.
    My opinoin hasn't changed much, it's utterly impossible to kill the tougher enemies without your trusty Bullet-Time.
    </font>
    Naaa, I wouldn't say it's impossible to kill the tougher bosses. Bullet time makes them easier to deal with but you can outsmart the AI. The hit and hide tactic works well against most baddies. I remember the guy at the end of the car park was tough. When he first appears he'll throw grenades at you and then use dual Ingram. So just run up to him and unload a full magazine of jackhammer ammo into him as soon as you see him (only tried that cause he kept on killing me smile.gif)

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 01-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

I'd say I must be at the end pretty soon.
    But its a really great game, its a pity that you cant reload the scenarios...
    You know like the way you can go back and play the comic book bits,well you should be able to play on from there,cos there are some pretty cool fights...
    I liked the trippy valkyr bit too, "I'm in a graphic novel...I'm in a computer game..."
    That was cool smile.gif
    reminds me of the time I took Valkyr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I really should get the demo sooner or later.
    One thing thats annoying me, The Matrix did not invent 'bullet time'. Time Slice (to give it its 'industy' name , man) has been around for years, i first saw it in a commercial in 91 i think. Remember the Stones video for 'Like a rolling stone'? Matrix me granny smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:

K

</font>

Depends very much on what you define as "running". Waiting 10 minutes for windows to load and have it disk trash for 1 minute every time a program does something is "running" then yes it does.

Is it true it's coming out for the PS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

icon40.gif <-- is this icon MaxPayne or is it Tanner from Driver?

adnans

"I'd rather be rich than stupid"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

It's the same image as is on the actual MaxPayne CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

its a remarkable incident that the icon which was used on bulletin boards all around the world would be adopted by a game company as their main character, and that the game is absolutely fantastic.

same goes with this little fella icon33.gif (duke nukem 3d) and this one too icon35.gif (some game called quake?!?). the conspiracy theory is born smile.gif (or am i just bored out of my títs?)

adnans

"I'd rather be rich than stupid"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adnans:

(or am i just bored out of my títs?)
    </font>

Is that a rhetorical question? tongue.gif
    wink.gif

Actually, that Icon ( icon40.gif ) was taken from the Comic book. Check out the top left hand corner, some of the issues had that picture. biggrin.gif

-Dark-Angel-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Demo dammit when do I get my demo!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Good game.

Not perfect, but good.

The voice-acting in the graphic novel scenes is del;iberately hammy - kinda giving it that "Mike Hammer" feel. Reminds me a bit of the voice-acting from Gabriel Knight actually. The idea of a graphic novel is well cool, although I was disappointed that at some points this was forgone for "game-engine cut-scenes".

Bullet-time is wicked, but has anyone else noticed that when moving from bullet time back to normal time (most notably after doing a shootdodge move) your guns either stay firing slowly for a fraction of a second, or stop altogether. Minor niggle, but there you go.

Third person perspective cuts down the redraw requirements while pulling a dive manouver. I have to say it is the best TPS implementation I've seen - the camera is very smart about its positioning.

I think the "self-modifying difficulty" is a great idea, and seems to work pretty well. You do crap for a while, and you notice that the guys are constantly missing with the first bullet or two. THen run off a couple of headshots and all of a sudden you are facing much tougher opposition.

As for the game being short....well....I'm only managing to spend 30-60 minutes on it each night, so I'm hoping it will last me several weeks before I even get to play it on Hard Boiled. Hell, I havent gotten anything larger than twin Ingrams yet.

Weapon variety is ok, but not great. However, each weapon is very distinct in its behaviour, and I've found myself switching between Deagle, single and dual Berettas, both shotguns, single and twin ingrams a lot, as well as having fun with molotovs and grens. I like this - a game where there are (so far) no completely pointless weapons. Neato.

With the level-editor included (which is a neat editor) and a deluxe editor on the way, I think we can expect a lot of custom maps and mods in short order....which will partially make up for the lack of multiplayer.

On that issue - realistically - you couldnt do bullet-time in a multiplayer game which is one of the main reasons it was dropped.

Overall....good game. Possibly a great game, but apparently a bit short. Some minor graphic glitches, but otherwise damn sweet.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bonkey:
    Bullet-time is wicked, but has anyone else noticed that when moving from bullet time back to normal time (most notably after doing a shootdodge move) your guns either stay firing slowly for a fraction of a second, or stop altogether. Minor niggle, but there you go.</font>
    Didn't notice that but you do stop shooting while Max is getting back up. This could be what you're noticing. Or maybe there really is a bug though I understand this is one of the most bug free game around.

As for length of the game. It's not that short. I think people are just comparing it to the length of time they can waste playing an online game. For a single player game, the length is about right.

Waiting for someone to use the level editor to recreate those scenes from Hard Boiled smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Speaking of bugs and all, there's already a patch out for Max Payne. Its about 6 megabytes and is available from fileplanet and I presume a load of other sites.

- Munch

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chubby:
    Didn't notice that but you do stop shooting while Max is getting back up. This could be what you're noticing. Or maybe there really is a bug though I understand this is one of the most bug free game around.
    </font>
    It could well be simply that. Of course - how can you fire a gun while leveraging yourself off the ground. Smart bastahds.

I didnt notice it cause I rarely dive except in bullet-time "shootdodge" moves, so getting up always coincided with a return to realtime.

As for being one of the most bug-free games...I have to agree. So far, this and Clive Barker's Undying take my top honours in "pretty darn bugfree" games.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Max payne is nice 2 look and and a joy 2 play. A very nicly rounded and enjoyable game..... HOWEVER let be honest here. The game as a whole was completely linear with notthing but level after level of straight out shooting with no secrects or extra whats so ever. Ill agree thats it was nice enjoyable game but way 2 easy and 2 short 2 complete!!! Also this game is only the tip of the ice berg as far as next generation of games is concerned. I believe that there are many more games 2 come out in the next year that will change the way we think about avergae computer games both graphicly and game play wise. Planet side for 1 will be a game that will change the way we think of multiplay games for ever (if not planet side one of its conter parts). Simple matter of the fact is that when we look back at MAx Payne in a years time we will see it as a good game but not realy anything all the special, granted it the first of what i see as the next generation but not the best by any means of whats 2 come biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Hmm have to disagree with you there wolf, the game has set a new standard for those that have to follow it...which dose make it special indeed

Insanity is spreading like wildfire.......and Im at its center :p

www.scifi-meshes.com

Im not saying its not good what im saying is that just cuz its the first released doesnt mean it the best nxt month something better might come out its not down 2 who gets the game out first is it???

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf:
    The game as a whole was completely linear with notthing but level after level of straight out shooting with no secrects or extra whats so ever. </font>

The problem here is that non-linear shoot-em-ups tend to either become missionless blast-fests, or games which are so large and sprawling that people are wondering where to go next, what to do, and so on.

I'm sure someone with more varied gaming experience can fill me in, but I cant think of a single non-linear fps or tps game which was playable, and had a storyline.

OK, it doesnt have much in the way of puzzles to solve, but lets face it, its a tribute to John Woo movies....how complex do you want it to be?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Also this game is only the tip of the ice berg as far as next generation of games is concerned. I believe that there are many more games 2 come out in the next year that will change the way we think about avergae computer games both graphicly and game play wise.
    </font>
    I'm not sure I agree with you, but either way, this is a moot point. What you are saying is aking to saying that the current top-end, state-of-the-art, uber-pc is nothing special, because technology is coming out in the next year which will make it look positively ordinary.

So what?

Max Payne is out today. Today, it is (IMHO) the coolest-looking TPS game I've ever seen. It has introduced some excellent new features into gaming (and brought back some old ones), and is pretty solid all round.

As the state of play stands today, it is a good game by any standard. If you think its too easy, I assume you've finished it on all difficulty levels? As to its length, how can you complain that its a linear shoot-fest and then complain about it being too short. If its just a linear shoot-fest then there's no difference in restarting, loading a saved game from the middle, or having a few extra levels.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Simple matter of the fact is that when we look back at MAx Payne in a years time we will see it as a good game but not realy anything all the special, granted it the first of what i see as the next generation but not the best by any means of whats 2 come biggrin.gif
    </font>
    I remember hearing something similar said about a little game a few years back which enjoyed a bit of popularity at the time. What was it called? Oh yeah - Halflife.

Vaporware does not have any effect on the gaming industry. I have lost track of the number of games which were hyped up as changing the way we think about gaming. To date, I've seen very few which delivered. For every Max Payne, there are a dozen (or a hundred) Daikatana's.

As for being the first of a new generation....Wolfenstein and Halflife were also classed as the same. They have been surpassed in their respective fields, but you ask someone for the big names in FPS games, you will get :

Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, HalfLife. Perhaps Unreal.

Each of these, in their own way, raised the bar and set the standard. You will not hear of the clones of each which may have been slightly prettier, or cleverer but which offered nothing new.

By current standards Max Payne is one of the best shooters to come out to date. You may disagree with that, but you cannot deny that it has a superb game engine, great mechanics, and supplies a new bar visually for other games to match. It has introduced new features such as bullet time, and (I think they are the first here) intelligent difficulty adaption.

Will it be a classic? I dont know. But whether or not it becomes one does not affect how good it is by todays standards.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

pld bonkey

most of what he said is the same as how i feel.

but i have a feeling next year or the year after there will be 2 or 3 games out that WILL change the way we feel and act with online gaming.

ie. Project frontier 4 (elite 4) / star wars: galaxies / ?uo 2.0? (made by uo creator but not for E.A.)

OK OK what i said was ill explained and perhaps abiot brief but many ppl would say the half-life was over rated in the first place (im not one of them however) but the point im trying 2 make is just because max payne is out first doesnt neccessaryly mean that it is the finest thing since sliced bread. I strongly believe that we will see games simalar 2 max payme but surpassing max payne and easy example is the new duke nukem which looks amazing. An easy example i can give u is the when duke nukem 3d came out it was fantastic but a few other companies weren't rushed into throwing some thing out 2 compete instead they took there time and produced games the like of half-life and unreal!!!!! which are the real deffining games!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! yes? no? well reguardless i just believe any game that take but a few days 2 somplete with no hidden extras is all it could be and there are games coming that will match and surpass max payne. ALSO I LOVED PLAYING MAX PAYNE im not dissing it im just saying lets be realistic smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

There are secrets, you just didn't find them. And as for extras, 3 new game modes isn't bad going.

Advertisement