Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

3 extra games modes WHAT??!!??!! A timer and 2 difficulty settings that add notthing comon dav u can do better than that and i found lot of the secrects but they werent very secrect or interesting for that matter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Bullet time is a great effect, but it's really just a gimick.
    As for the graphics in general they're not great, about on par with SOF I think, just a bit more colourful - with the exception of Max's coat, that FPS killing wonderfully lit bit of leather. All that effort for one model.
    I think the game is decent and will play it to the end, but it's not anything new. A simple, linear shoot em up.
    The story and the whole way it's told is very amateurish imho.
    But then from the mood/graphic style I keep comparing it to Deus-Ex, so it has way too much to live up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

_Creed_, don't mean to be rude but you have no idea what you are talking about. Bullet time is not just a gimick but a great way to give you more control over a chaotic gunfight. Some of the fights are close to impossible without the accuracy bullet time allows and I'd hate to see what it's like at the harder levels.

As for graphics, it's easily one of the better looking games around and saying it's on par with SOF is just insulting. Models have a decent polygon count but on top of that they have the best use of textures ever seen in a game. Plus no other game have special effects at the moment that can match the explosions, fire and bullet time effect.

And it's nothing like Deus-Ex, you are comparing very different games. Deus-Ex is a fps and rpg hybrid set in the future and uses cut scenes to tell the story. Graphically, Deus-Ex is quite ugly in places like the first level, animation is horrible, models are ok, the lighting is all artificial and makes locations look unrealistic though arguably futuristic. Max Payne is just a shooter, set in what could easily be present day New York and tells the story using really well made graphics novel slides. Graphically, Max Payne is much superior with better, 3d models, special effects, textures, good lighting, realistic environments, and amazing structure and level designs.

Anywya, rant over.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HornedGod

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bonkey:
    It has introduced new features such as bullet time, and (I think they are the first here) intelligent difficulty adaption.

jc
    </font>

The earliest game that I can think of that adjusted the difficulty of the game on the fly was Gods by the Bitmap Brothers, which was released in March '91.
    http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/Gods.htm
    So as with most things in life, while it mightn't be original, it all depends on how it's implemented.

HG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Eh..Chubby, I posted an oppinion, therefore regardless of what I said I do 'know what I'm talking about'.

Bullet time is handy but not necessary, and be honest, it is the main draw of the game. It looks great, like I said a nice effect, but take away that novelty and MP is just another linear Shooter (with bad voice overs and a weak plot imho). Graphically the facial texures and max himself are noticably Hi-res, thats all. The rest of the graphics to me look mediocre.

Also, I did say the Graphic Style and mood reminded me of DeusEx, not the game play. I do know they are different...honest... smile.gif.

If I was to mark it myself it'd get ~75%. Playable, fun, but not the classic I expected it to be.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 12-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf:
    HOWEVER let be honest here. The game as a whole was completely linear with notthing but level after level of straight out shooting with no secrects or extra whats so ever.</font>

I have the game on max everything settings. It is breathtaking. It makes everything else look like doom.

The game however is very linear and you can't beat it without bullet time. :/

Secrets? Yes there are quite a few. For example, at one point you can jump out onto a ledge and you come to boarded up window. Shoot out the boards and there is a dead guy laying face down with a stake in his back and a the word Buff scrawled in blood.

Or one of the elevators there is musak playing. If you blow out the speaker he says thank you. smile.gif

Also a ****take of lethel weapon. There are a few others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There is a patch out.

http://www.remedy.fi/games/maxpaynefaq.shtml

Mine wouldn't even play without the patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

It's already patched and the sonofa***** still doesn't work. I've got a p3 500 elsa gladiac geforce2mx and 192mb of ram, if anyone cares.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Best single player game I've played since Half Life. Graphics are brilliant, bullet time is sheer class, so what if it's linear. Some of the in jokes are good, like references to John Woo and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

click on the microphone in the nightclub biggrin.gif

and if you shoot the alarm in the bank he also thanks you

• Advertisement

Bugless my **** . I take it home, install it, but as soon as I get on to the main menu screen, it freezes up. I got into the tutorial once, which worked fine, but crashed as soon as I got on to the title screen afterwards. I also managed to click on new game once, but it crashed after the first part of the intro. Can anyone help, I don't want to have to return it.

Is there a patch to be released soon, does anyone know, or will I just return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i take it you tried lowering your graphic detail settings...also try reinstalling directx 8.0 it just might work. the rest im not so sure about since i dont know squat about geforce cards. voodoo you say, now there's a graphics card!

adnans
    (his rants may not be the same as others, all rights reserved)

kent brockman: "... and while we're speaking of well educated manner they tend to use low brow expressions like 'oh Yeah' and 'come here a minute'.
    homer: "oh yeah!, they think they're better then us. bart, come here a minute!"
    bart: "you come here a minute"
    homer "oh yeahhh!"

I got it to work, I think by changing the desktop to 16bit. NOw it just crashes every 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    Bullet time is handy but not necessary, and be honest, it is the main draw of the game. It looks great, like I said a nice effect, but take away that novelty and MP is just another linear Shooter (with bad voice overs and a weak plot imho). </font>
    Not meaning to be picky, but I cant think of a single fps/tps game which had a new feature that was any better than "handy bu not necessary", and which could not be dismissed as a gimick. By this standard, we have progressed nowhere since Wolfenstein.

Multi-level maps, curved architecture, reactive scenery, cut-scenes, zoomeable weapons, interactive characters, etc. etc. etc. can all be dismissed as gimicks and non-necessary.

I find it strange to dismiss the new features a game offers as "gimicks" when they offer an entirely new dimension.

Voiceovers were deliberately hammy. Its "Mike Hammer" style stuff.

Plot - ummm - has a pure shoot-em-up EVER had a good plot? Anachronox and Deus Ex and the like have moved away from fps/tps and introduced heavy elements of rpg in there, in order to have a non-linear plot. Max is a pure tps. I mean, come on - the manual basically says "we're not even going to try and explain why Max can enter bullet-time, he just can".
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Graphically the facial texures and max himself are noticably Hi-res, thats all. The rest of the graphics to me look mediocre.</font>

I cant think of anything which looks better. I would fault the lack of bullet-holes appearing when you shoot people, and some strange clipping when diving at/thru doors, but I dont think I've seen a nicer-looking game.

As a matter of interest, has anyone played this with a GeForce3? Theres supposed to be some DX8 features in the game which are only supported by full DX8 cards, and if memory serves me correct, only the GF3 meets that spec at the moment?

As to it not being a classic....is there any game in the genre which is a classic?

jc

Advertisement