Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need ordinary level in irish for collage?

• 11-02-2003 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I'm thinking about dropping to lower level Irish, it’s by far my worst subject and I HATE going in every morning to this teacher.

My subjects are:
    Maths (O)
    English (H)
    Business Organisation (H)
    Engineering (H)
    Physics (H)
    Geography (H)
    LCVP

I’m currently doing Ordinary Level in Irish and I’ve heard that you need at least a pass in Irish for the Leaving Cert do get into 90% of all collages.
    Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

you need a language .. i think foregin to get into most universities.

the sunject isn't worth any points when you fail it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

yes , you need a pass in a language to get into most college's

I never did any foreign langauges (french/german etc) and I could only get into college by doing irish

I couldn't get into UCD as I didn't have french/german etc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I failed honours Irish in the Lc (It really screwed me up, didn't get my first 4 choices and I had the points for them) nearly had to repeat the feckin Lc.. anyway I settled for DIT comp sci cos I only needed a pass in irish or english.. anyway it was the biggest mistake I ever made doing higher level irish.. you can still get max points with your 6 other higher level subjects (and dropping your worst) and if you fail higher irish you won't be able to get into most colleges.. so I'd say doing ordinary would be your best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

you need a passing grade in ordinary level / higher irish to go to any of the NUI colleges (UCD, NUI, UCC etc)

you need a passing grade in ordinary / higher french OR irish to go to trinity, it counts irish as a foreign language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

to get into college in ireland you must have Irish as a language, it doesn't matter if its foundation, ordinary or higher. there are exemptions for ppl who've never learned irish, but for the rest of us who have been "studying" the language since we were five, a pass in foundation level will suffice(as far as i know cos i did it! :p). it might be different for some colleges or universities so ask your careers/student councillor or your irish teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

in the institute at the start of this year we were told foundation wouldnt get us into college? can anyone clear this up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by woolymammoth
    to get into college in ireland you must have Irish as a language, it doesn't matter if its foundation, ordinary or higher.

Wrong and wrong =)

SOME colleges require Irish.. but definetly NOT all

richindub it depends on the college, look at the entry requirements for the course you want but you'll find that most of the bigger colleges (UCD, NUI's, DIT, DCU) require at least a pass in ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I've looked up a couple of courses I want to do when I finish school which include computers and engineering. Most of them say you need X passes and x pass on 2 higher level subjects then it says "These subjects should include Maths & English OR Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Originally posted by woolymammoth
    to get into college in ireland you must have Irish as a language, it doesn't matter if its foundation, ordinary or higher.

i stand corrected Repli. sorry if my ignorance confussed anybody :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just the unis: NUI colleges (UCC/UCD/UCG) require a pass in English AND Irish. TCD is a bit different as mentioned above (English AND (Irish or foreign language). UL and DCU require Irish OR English. Nice and simple.

No idea for the ITs/other colleges. Hopefully they're a little more progressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Best thing is to check out the requirements yokie in the CAO handbook, or anything else you can find. I think sceptre has it right, but if you want to go to any 'strange' :p colleges, best thing is to ring them or get your hands on a prospectus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Originally posted by sceptre
    Just the unis: NUI colleges (UCC/UCD/UCG) require a pass in English AND Irish. .

NUI - Maynotth too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You need Irish or a foreign lanuage to get into College.

You need Irish and another lanuage for all the NUI's so since you don't do another lanuage you can have to rule these colleges out. I did the same. (I am not too bad at Irish but I couldn't take another 2 years of french).

All the IT's, DCU and Trinity take Irish as a foreign lanuage. (I know people who failed Irish but had a foreign launage and got into these colleges.)

Learn off all the stories and write them out in summary form and when you get into the exam just write out those summaries no matter what. My sister is an Irish Teacher and she killed her pass students last year after telling them this before the mocks. Basically they give you marks for writing something about the story. Most of her students had pasted the first paper, listening and oral but failed because they failed the second paper, because they wrote nothing.

My advice is talk to your teacher. And just do the exam, you might as well. And you've being doing Irish for the last 15 year something is there your doing 5 honours subject you can easily do pass Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Do you needat least a C3 in ordinarl irish to get into NUI colleges?
    Or will anything above a fail will do?

Advertisement