Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane Announces Retirement

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Discrepancy fest.:)

I think Man U got a bit scared about their supporters in Ireland deserting the club. And with good reason a bloke I know in work sent back his season ticket and threw out all his Man U gear yesterday.

Mad bastard.

But still there must be a few about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

/me laughs at that press release. Load of bull****. :)

o well, wont stop supporting my club just cos they wanted roy to play for his club. (and blatently lying in a press release)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Dont think people should stop supporting man utd over this...I mean in all fairness they are paying Keano a hefty salary....they have to be selfish in some respects.

He will be a loss for the irish team of course but Kerr will do us all proud and even if he doesnt... IT WONT NOT ROY KEANES FAULT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Keane is scum and a coward and I'm glad we're rid of him for good now. I never wanted him to play Ireland again after Saipan so my only dissapointment is that he didn't make this announcement 8months ago and close the book on it.

He didn't have the guts to admit he just doesn't want to play for us so yet again he let someone else be the fall guy (this time 'medical advise'). In contrast just this week it was reported that Halaand is being let go by ManCity and that as such his career is effectively over. You can thank Mr. Keane (and his sense of justice) for the ending the career of a decent player.

Likewise I hope Keane suffers a career ending injury ASAP (12.16 today would do nicely) and then Fergusons brigade of doctors might REALLY have something to worry about.

//

BTW it's amusing to note the clear majority condemnation of Keane on this thread when before (ie when there was still chance of him returning) Keane opinion here was split about 50:50. Keane isn't the only turncoat in our presence IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ok, before he announced his retirement I did want him to come back. I don't think he was wrong in saipan, I wish that he could have grinned and bore the sub-standard conditions, but he's not scum for doing what he did. I believed he was going to come back to Ireland in good faith, with the change in manager. Yes it would be a little awkward integrating into the team, but its stupid to say that it definitely wouldn't work. So now yes, I've turned coat, since this is how he has repaid my trust in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

Had Saipan not occurred, Keane's retirement would have been accepted in a dignified way. he would have been congratulated for his 14 years of service to ireland.
    saipan has tainted everybody's minds. nobody is certain of the truth now. did keane betray the country? i don't think so. is he merely guaranteeing himself another year of football and is he entitled to be selfish for once? i am veering towards yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Pigman II

Likewise I hope Keane suffers a career ending injury ASAP (12.16 today would do nicely) and then Fergusons brigade of doctors might REALLY have something to worry about....

BTW it's amusing to note the clear majority condemnation of Keane on this thread when before (ie when there was still chance of him returning) Keane opinion here was split about 50:50. Keane isn't the only turncoat in our presence IMHO.

Ha ha ha!. Actually, no, you are a bitter twisted ****er. You really hope that the man receives an injury which ruins his career? Then you are more of a thug than he ever will be.

There is a huge difference between what happened in Saipan, and what has happened this week. Linked yes, but they cannot be compared as one and the same. Keane had his reasons for his behaviour in Saipan, and remember there was more than one character involved in that. The situations couldn't be different this time. the Irish side in the affair appear to have acted with dignity and professionalism, unlike those at Man U.

That being the case, I think your turncoat accusations are misplaced.

i'm not sure if you were replying to me or another, but i wasn't equating saipan with this week's events. I'm just saying that it's the reason for the furore about keane's retirement. had it not occurred he would have had a retired in a more dignified way and received the plaudits due to him for his career in the irish shirt.

btw, exclusive roy keane interview with david walsh in tomorrow's times.

Sorry revelate, that wasn't aimed at you. I was a little peeved with pigman for wishing harm on Keane in today's game, and also the statement made that there was a lot of turncoats on this board, my point being that pre Tuesdays announcement, public opinion was on Keanes side because of the farce that was Saipan, and McCarthy's handling of it. What pigman can't seem to understand is that people are entitled to change their opinions, particularly given the extraodinary change in circumstances that Tuesday gave us.

I expect the interview to be interesting, but he'll have a hard job winning back friends after this week.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Ha ha ha!. Actually, no, you are a bitter twisted ****er. You really hope that the man receives an injury which ruins his career? Then you are more of a thug than he ever will be.
    Wait! I only wish for this player to recieve a slice of what he has inflicted on others and now I am suddenly worse than the guy himself who (let us not forget!) has already deliberately ended the playing career of another player? I don't care whether you're Irish or not, ManU supporter or not, pro Keane or not but you cannot tell me you have any respect for a guy who has not only ended the career of a fellow professional but also in his own words admitted that his actions were premeditated. If someone like Vinnie Jones or Julian Dicks had done the same we'd have wanted him thrown out of the game but because he's 'one of our own' and our one-time interational messiah we're supposed to look the other way on this sullen, self-serving coward?
    There is a huge difference between what happened in Saipan, and what has happened this week. Linked yes, but they cannot be compared as one and the same.
    [/B]
    There's no difference IMHO. Keane didn't want to play for us in June 2002 and he doesn't now. On both occasions hes used any excuse he can find to get out of it just because he's too chicken to say 'listen I just don't want to play for Ireland any more'. If he even said that I'd still have an ounce of respect for the guy but he coudln't even do that much. When I watched honest pros like Dave Langan, John Byrne, John Sheridan, David Kelly, Gerry Peyton (and loads others) turn up time and time again to Ireland squads even tho they knew they probably wouldn't be picked it makes me sick to think of Keane turning his back just because his heart isn't in it anymore (yet won't just come out and admit what we all can clearly see.).

So the only difference between the two instances is how the public have reacted to it, it's the same Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

i thought Haaland had said the injury from Keane wasn't related to the one that ended his career???

anyway, i'd never question the patriot in keane and i think if he was playing for any other club he'd have stayed on longer but he's tied with Man Utd and there was obviously no compromise for him. And i hate the club for being that big that they keep their best player exclusively to themselves. Everton are my #1 but I always supported Utd in Europe over the years cause Keane/Irwin. They may not loose many of their irish fans but for the first time i'll be hoping to see them finish with nothing this season. Good start to my first day as an A.B.U. today with the arsenal win.

That said, i can't focus that hate on Keane and it would be a shame if irish fans did. he gave us so much over the last 10 years and it hurts to have it taken away but fuk it, fuk him :rolleyes: , fuk utd :mad: , i'm lookin forward to the new era. The next 3 years should be exciting. "No regrets" roy

Originally posted by Pigman II
    Wait! I only wish for this player to recieve a slice of what he has inflicted on others and now I am suddenly worse than the guy himself who...

There's no difference IMHO. Keane didn't want to play for us in June 2002 and he doesn't now. On both occasions hes used any excuse he can find to get out of it just because he's too chicken to say 'listen I just don't want to play for Ireland any more'.

Eh, it may be a cliche, but two wrongs don't make a right. You have every right to condemn the guy for what he has done on the pitch. As for his comments after it, he was an idiot to say it, but lets not forget his aul friend Eammo's part in the whole affair, that is his editorial stance when it came to writing the book. However, nothing excuses you wishing serious injury on the guy, in fact it drags you down to his level. Comfortable there?

Difference between Saipan and now? I think I've already made my case. In Saipan years of mismanagement blew up in McCarthy and the FAI's face. Do you honestly think that Roy Keane didn't want to be part of the World Cup? Why fecking bother play the qualifiers then, sometimes when less than 100% fit (and he was still better than the muppets McCarthy surrounded himself with)? FFS, cop on. There was more than one person involved in the Saipan farce, and blame can be apportioned to both sides, but more to the official side.

The situation this week sees Brian Kerr and the FAI completely faultless. Either Keane or Ferguson, or a mixture of the two, have let Ireland down badly. End of.

As a result, those people who defended Keane pre-Tuesday night are more than entitled to criticise him post-Tuesday night, and if you could drop your hatred for Keane for just one second you might accept that. Might.

Read the interview in the times.

Roy describes 17 months of injections, not training and struggle with fitness as a result of his hip injury. He says that it was a case of heart ruling head while talking to Kerr-he wanted to play for Ireland. Then Ferguson brought him back to earth and forced him to think sensibly. Sensibly for himself as a player and as a man. Apparently, he's facing a hip-replacement op before he's 45.

We should just accept Roy's decision and look to the future. He gave his all to ireland each and every time he pulled on the green jersey and steered us to the world cup. nobody should forget that.

we should remember that footballers aren't machines. they're people and as such can't go on forever. The bitterness and vitriol of the past week are entirely misplaced and serve only to alienate probably the best Irish player ever. Accept the decision for what it was and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

If a player who has given his all for his country wants to quit international football so they can prolong their career, well thats pretty understandable I think.

I dont like keane at all, but I am guessing he is just trying to keep playing the game he loves for the club he loves as long as possible.

Originally posted by revelate
    Accept the decision for what it was and move on.

Maybe we will if Keane doesn't join Utd's lucrative tour of the US in the Summer. Or the numerous trips to Asia and Australia that are inevitable in Man Utd plc's drive for greater market share.

thing is hes earning a living from man u and their lucrative trips.
    Also those trips are at the end/beginning of the season where there aint a load of fixtures piled up to be played.

If he plays for ireland he wouldnt geta rest mid season in the middle of the hectic patches that is the closing of the league, champions league and errr worthington cup.

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    and errr worthington cup.

Yeah, that cup thats so important to Utd they plaed the third string team evry year bar this one:D

Any Man U fans want to call it the Mickey Mouse Cup now???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

And The Saga Continues......

Taken from www.aertel.ie

Roy Keane has suggested that he may yet return to play for the Republic of Ireland. The Manchester United captain announced his retirement from Republic of Ireland duty last week, blaming a string of major injuries in recent years. However, in an interview to the Sunday Times, the Manchester United skipper said there was a possibility he could return to play for Brian Kerr's side: "Speaking to Brian was good, and as we were finishing our conversation, he said `You never know what could happen down the road'. I believe that, still think `Never say never'. There are people who placed bets on Roy Keane never playing for Ireland again: if I were the bookies I wouldn't pay out just yet. The Champions League games that Manchester United play mean it is not feasible just now. What would happen if I was at a club that wasn't playing in Europe? You never know."

Meanwhile, Keane revealed that fear of needing a hip replacement later in life forced him to make his decision to quit the international scene. Keane recovered only recently from his latest injury - which required a hip operation - and he says the seriousness of the problem caused him to re-evaluate his role with the Republic. The Corkman said: "What I liked about talking to the surgeon was that he was not employed by United - and I believe he would have given me the same advice if I was Roy Keane, a guy who had walked in off the street. He talked about the likelihood of a hip replacement at a very young age and asked me about life after football. Is it important to you, Roy, to play tennis with your kids? Do you want to be able to go for a run in the park?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

well i for one have had enough of lingering hope that our best player will be back, he can keep saying he'd love to play for ireland again but that doesn't mean shjt as we discovered last week. if he does make a u-turn in the summer or a year later at the beginning of the world cup campaign, i'll be all open arms but i won't be expecting or waiting for it to happen.
    closure on the issue has been reached and we can forget about his irish future now, he's history.

• Advertisement

I know I've had a lot to say on this topic, but for all our sakes can the thread please be closed?

PLEASE?

Eh, it may be a cliche, but two wrongs don't make a right. You have every right to condemn the guy for what he has done on the pitch. As for his comments after it, he was an idiot to say it, but lets not forget his aul friend Eammo's part in the whole affair, that is his editorial stance when it came to writing the book. However, nothing excuses you wishing serious injury on the guy, in fact it drags you down to his level. Comfortable there?
    Yes, very. Thanks for asking. Still doesn't change the fact that I wish harm upon him. Ok maybe ‘wish’ is too strong a word but, lets say, he ends up getting scraped off Dietmar Hamman or Patrick Vieras boot anytime between now and the end of May I certainly wont't be shedding any tears. As for Dunphys involvement in this saga don't even bring it up. Keane is (allegedly) a big boy now and he can speak for himself. If anyone is misrepresenting him in anyway that he feels unjust then he can use his voice.
    Difference between Saipan and now? I think I've already made my case. In Saipan years of mismanagement blew up in McCarthy and the FAI's face. Do you honestly think that Roy Keane didn't want to be part of the World Cup? Why fecking bother play the qualifiers then, sometimes when less than 100% fit (and he was still better than the muppets McCarthy surrounded himself with)? FFS, cop on. There was more than one person involved in the Saipan farce, and blame can be apportioned to both sides, but more to the official side.
    [/B]
    I'm not saying the two EVENTS were the same! What I am saying is Keanes reactions in both events were the same. They both involved a manager asking Keane to come back after he had bolted to which he agreed only to change his mind AGAIN and stay out in the cold after he had made a commitment to an Ireland manager.

Don't get me wrong about Keane. I’m not sore because he has quit Ireland prematurely. My gripe is purely in the way he went about it. If he had said at age 23 that he’d never wanted to play for Ireland then I'd have applauded him for his years of excellent services and never had a bad word to say about him. In fact if he’d even done it in Jan 2002 and not even put himself forward for the squad in Japan/Korea then I would have accepted his decision without a gripe.

What annoyed me was all this dick-ing around and the will-he-stay-won't-he-stay bull**** that he himself has orchastrated that has made me think ill of him. Also (unlike most here) I’m not even that annoyed that he let Brian Kerr down last week. I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that he was not coming back and said as much a week before he put the final nail in the coffin.

Fact of the matter is that before the whole Keane v McCarthy event clouded the issue split the country Keane of his own volition walked out on Ireland after he had given a commitment to be there for the team and I for one won’t forget that no matter how much spin gets put on this whole sordid chapter in the history of Irish soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Keane should just fu<k off. He's already said twice he won't play again, and confirmed his retirement last week - now he says not to rule it out!!

Do us a favour Roy, and pi$$ off. For a man who's supposed full of drive and single-minded determination blah blah blah he doesn't seem to be able to make his own bloody mind up about this.

I think he still wants to play and the only reason he isnt is cos of medical advice and 'requests' from man u. If he leaves man u i think he hinting he may return. (dont see it happening tbh. By the time he leaves he'll be a pensioner :p )

and yes the Worthington cup is still a mickey mouse cup but it looks like it might be the only trophy we'll win this season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I like many of you hate what Keane has done. We can't blame Ferguson (as much as I now despise him). Keane is supposedly "his own man" and therefore should be capable of making a rational decision.

I never backed Keanes decision at the world cup (IMO he should have just grinned and bared it and gave out SHlTE when he got home)…but retiring from International football now is basically betrayal and cowardice. I think he’s too scared to face his former team mates. He has betrayed Kerr and Ireland.

I think Ireland is better off without him now…He would probably just damage the morale of the team. There is also the point of view that he’s past his best. The weekend match VS Arsenal seemed to backup that theory. It was supposedly the battle of the titans…Keane Vs Viera. If you watched the match I’m sure you’ll agree that Viera made Keane look very ordinary indeed.

I think the future is bright for Ireland…the Scotland game was encouraging. Obviously we have a lot of work to do to quality for the European Championships (I think we have to win all the remaining games). We have some excellent talent at the moment…Carr is fantastic; I just hope he is fortunate enough to avoid injury. Reid has a promising future ahead of him, Morrison looks like he’ll score plenty of goals for us…not to mention Duff and Robbie Keane.

(I failed to mention our super super super stars Doherty and Connolly) Please excuse the sarcasm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness, it takes some doing, but if you take the time to read the article in the Sunday Times, its not that clear-cut.

It seems he wanted to come back, but avoided discussing that medical side of things. I wish he had waited to announce it after the Scotland game though. Sitting in a bar in Glasgow, getting locked, it wasn't the kind of news we expected or wanted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement