Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick graphics card question

• 11-02-2003 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

i'm thinking about getting a new pc, well not me but my father is.
    my question is which is better a 64MB nVidia GeForce4 or a 128MB ATI Radeon 9700.
    i was told that a 64mb geforce can out perform a 128mb radeon, because most games are developed with a geforce in mind.
    is this true.
    i could have in the region of €2000 -> €3000 to play around with for a pc....
    what do you think would be best graphics card to get.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Since you have a good bit of money go for the Radeon 9700 pro as it is the best that you can buy at the moment. It outperforms the Geforce 4 by a good margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

ATI 9700 is better, Period. But it depends what he wants to do with,does he want to play games or just use it for misc stuff and applications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Myg
    ATI 9700 is better, Period. But it depends what he wants to do with,does he want to play games or just use it for misc stuff and applications?

he just wants it for basic work stuff and checking his email.
    i will be using it for college work and games.... plus after seeing the pictures of Unreal 2 and Doom 3 i'm going to need a **** cool PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

The Radeon 9700 beats the ass off the GF.

Oh and Rabies, www.google.com Search for Radeon 9700 Benchmarks or Geforce 4 v Radeon etc.

The possibilities are endless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Add to this the rumour that the next-generation super-duper GeForce is being cancelled(see this article on Slashdot) the ATi 9700 Pro could be king of the performance castle for some time...

Gadget
    [edited to repair some half-committed thoughts - doh! :rolleyes: ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah basically if you look in the geforce fx thread, you'll see that it doesn't really keep up with the ati card, and ati have a faster r9700 coming soon, ( it will be the r9800 or 9900 I think ) so looks like ati will be king of the castle for a while as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

thanks for the info...

looks like it will be an ATI then.

Advertisement