Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN & Linux

Options
  • 11-02-2003 10:33pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Doing some research just in case Eircom actually do give me ISDN... ;)

Any recommendations for an ISDN TA? I'm currently using a Debian (testing distro) box for NAT and dialup, using LANdialler to control the line from the windoze clients. Will I get a TA from Eircom? Is it any good? Does it have 2 analogue and 2 digital ports? How will it talk to the debby box? Should I get an internal TA? What's the story with my existing analogue phones?

I'm quite familiar with the theory of ISDN, but my practical experience is sadly limited to either PRI or using BRA as a (flippin' expensive) leased-line emulator.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

General advice seems to be not to use the one supplied by Eircom. I believe it has a serial interface.

I have used an internal Eicon Diva sucessfully with Linux (in my case SuSe).

You should really go for broadband, though. I believe Eircom are required to supply broadband under the terms of their wireless licence. ISDN sux in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

On the phone side, Eircom should supply a box connected to the ISDN line with two analogue ports as well as a digital one for your computer. You plug your phones into alalogue ports in the normal way. If you are using one of the digital channels from your computer then one of these analogue lines will become unavailable (likewise with both).

The box converts the analogue phone signals into digital. The box goes on the wall and is separate from any TA you might have.

I've heard of companies plugging ordinary 56k modems into this and thinking they are getting the benefits of ISDN.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    General advice seems to be not to use the one supplied by Eircom. I believe it has a serial interface.

I have used an internal Eicon Diva sucessfully with Linux (in my case SuSe).
    Cool. Does this need a modified version of pppd, or does i4l handle all that for me? I have a BT Speedway PCI TA lying around somewhere for months now, I might try it.
    You should really go for broadband, though. I believe Eircom are required to supply broadband under the terms of their wireless licence. ISDN sux in comparison.
    Yeah, they're supposed to supply ISDN as well, but as per the IrelandOffline discussion they've refused to give it to me.

Frankly, I don't see why I can't have ISDN and broadband. Analogue phone lines are such a bloody anachronism anyway, it makes more sense to have one BRA than two analogue lines for a lot of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

i've used an eicon diva pci TA in a couple of versions of redhat, and in debian woody and sarge. Piss of piss to set up.

I tried an asus TA in a few versions of linux and have given up in frustration every time. It's ment to be supported but it keeps eluding me.

Greg

Advertisement