Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i move the connecters to adapt to slave devices?

• 11-02-2003 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am in the process of bulding a p4 system with cd-rw, dvd, hard drive and thats all i think i need to include for my question.

Everything is basiclaly put into it, but i still have to connect everything up. Basically how can i move the connecters on ide cables to accomodate for my slavs devices. Basically, i have a dvd drive put in master. I want to put the cd-rw on the same ide cable as a slave. the hard drive is also on master. But i dont know how to move the connecter. Do i have to clip somthing out to move them or do they just stay where they are? Do i have to buy new cables so they can accomodate or what!?

This is so confusing...

Help me out if u can,

Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

At this point i have to point you to the Komplett forum rules... the please read before posting bit....

As this is your first build, and the problems you have had so far are down to a complete lack of experience, you really should post your questions in the technology forum. (This thread has been moved to the tech forum).

Regarding the Master and slave drives, there are small jumpers on the various drives to set them as master and slave, usualy is
    IDE 1 .. Boot hard disk .. master - 2nd Hard disk (if you have one) - Slave, set by jumpers on the drives.... One gable for this set up..
    IDE 2 DVD-Rom Master - CDRW Slave... again set ny jumper on the bacl of the drive. Both on the same cable.

A quick serach on Google shoudl give you the info with diagrams/pics... :)

Enjoy the new pc......

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SlimShady

Thanks for that, i apologise for posting in the wrong forum too.

Thats my problem, i cant get the middle female connector on the ide cable to reach to my cd-rw drive. I have the cd-rw drive set to slave and my dvd drive set to master but the cable connector wont reach!

Any ideas?
    Do i need to get a new cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yes get a longer cable or if the IDE cable on the Hard Drive is long enough to reach it then stick one of the Cd-Rom drives onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The DVD-rom CD-RW cable must be very short. If you have the DVD in bay 3 and the cdrw in Bay 4the distance between the last connector and the middle connector should be very small.

With these drives in bays 3 and 4 its only a short distance to ide 2 usually. Is it possible you have the ide cable reversed?

I would be slow to put the cdrw or dvd on the same channel or cable as the hard drive as the majority of the will reduce the hard drive performace.

It may be the you need to get a longer IDE cable. They are pretty cheap, get a good quality rounded cable to keep things neat. Elara.ie are getting a really cool rounded cable with a neon string type light effect...

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SlimShady

Thanks for the reply. Well the cable seems perfectly fine and long enough for it to reach. I just cant get the middle connector to move along up the cable to reach the other ide device if you get me.

Ok the 1's ide connector is connected to ide2, the middle one(i want that to be connected into a drive but it doesnt seem to move or slide along...does it have any special clip on the side or somthing which i push down to allow it to move?)

it seems to me the cables are perfectly long....i just cant get the middle connector to move...its fixed in the one position making it impossible to reach my drives.

I have them in drive bays 3 and 4 to see if it would help but it doesnt.

Any ideas? Is this definitely new cables i need?

Thanks,
    Andy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

heres a thought. Change he bays the drives are in. So that they fit on the cable right. You can not moce the connecters on IDE cables.

Advertisement