Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Authorities vs. Student Bars

Options
  • 11-02-2003 11:03pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I was astonished to read on Page 3 of today's Irish Indpendent that the College Authorities in Waterford are planning to close the student bar totally for the duration of Rag Week.

Does anybody else think that the gang in charge of UCD might try and pull a stunt like that in the near future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

NO WAY

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

take a look at whats happened in ul they are shut not just for rag week but for good resident wan.kers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its in direct response to what happend in WIT on the college christmas day and in response to the growing feeling that there is a serious alcohol problem amoung students.

Problem with closing the Dome in WIT is that it serves food as well as beer etc. so now the canteen has to cope with the influx in numbers.

Something has be bound to happen about students and alcohol for the last couple of years and i could see other colleges taking similar measures. Cant see it having any effect, students will just go else where (or stay at home) and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by mooman_00
    take a look at whats happened in ul they are shut not just for rag week but for good resident wan.kers

A friend of mine who works in managment in one of the bars said that it's going to be around 8 weeks before the next appeal against this ruling. So it might reopen for rag week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

At least you have a bloody campus bar!!

DIT has none. I'm seriously thinking of launching a campaign to get one. Big part of social scene in Aung St has disappeared since Palace closed and DA 2 Bar is no replacement.

I'm sure the Dome in WIT will be open for FOOD during RAG WEEK?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ballooba

I'm sure the Dome in WIT will be open for FOOD during RAG WEEK?

This week is rag week and the Dome is closed all day, all week....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You could break in and serve you own beer and food, but of course that is illegal. Note I said 'could' not 'should'.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

Originally posted by Rew
    Problem with closing the Dome in WIT is that it serves food as well as beer etc. so now the canteen has to cope with the influx in numbers.

It's not a problem really though. The college is fairly empty with the Rag Week participants (1st years) all in town. The canteen has a lot more empty seats than a normal week when the Dome is open.

This is the reason for the bars closure. At least some action was taken. Well done to all involved.

Anyone around for the ridiculous protest outside some meeting in the rooms beside the shop? That SU president is some idiot. Someone spotted the Dome's owner smiling away to himself after the speech started in the canteen yesterday. I declare shenanigans, everybody grab a broom!:D

Yeah i noticed the lack of bodies around today.

I agree with the reasons it was closed, but closing it it dosn't actually get anybody anywhere or tackle the issue, people just go else where.

The food thing is an issue in my eyes the SU have a point that we paid for the renovations to the Dome and it is n area for use that we no longer can use. Closing the bar i just sticking their head in the snd and thinking it will go away.

I presume u mean John Rocket, he dosn't own the Dome he leases it from the college and i think it him the SU should go after (look for his lease to be terminiated).

Yeah i saw the protest and how pointless it was....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

When it was in the paper last week about the UL bar, one of my lecturers cut it out and posted it anonymously to the director. He thought it was a joke but I had a feeling it would backfire.

Not that I really give a sh1t as I don't drink but damn is dome food nice. Also the fact that the dome is closed means no one is around so there's no other (non-alcoholic) activities going on either.

P.S. Would have loved to have seen that protest!!

• Advertisement

I forgot to add that the Dome staff got no noticee of the bar closing and AFAIK they are at home without pay for the week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by daveirl
    Wasn't the UL appeal on the licence in the courts today?

It was on last Friday, and they lost, but both of the pubs reopened yesterday at 5pm. They've been allowed to reopen until the next appeal on the grounds that they would have to let people working there go if they couldn't serve alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

the dome is closed students have to eat in the canteen could this be construed as food poisoning (or professional negligence resulting in food poisoning)....?

and should there be some vaccinations(serums) for the unimmunised against the canteen food

pretty ridiculous hospital canteens i mean they'd put you in hospital

considering canteen food cit is perfectly situated slap bang very near to the regional hospital,suprising the lack of fatalities...maybe they're just used to the student food groups..
    or do they just pretend to eat...
    the true reason for 4-5-6 hour queues in the regional is that it gives the "canteen food" time full time to run it's way through the students digestive system leaving them either dead or apparently recovered from the poisoning.....
    ....so that's why the students union are getting a new hearse...money well spent...
    and it's just become obvious why students get about half the year off it's not to work, don't be naive... it's a statisical fact the it takes the average student 176 days to complely recover from canteen food or finally kick the bucket..
    i love canteen food live on the edge and all that..
    imagine it cup of coffee in hand eating the spaghetti bolegnese showing no emotion staring death in the face...every day yep im a real addrenaline junky..

Advertisement