Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahh...the epitome of tolerance

Options
  • 12-02-2003 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I especially love that last quote...its great to know when you're dealing with reasonable people. :rolleyes:

Source:
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_716612.html?menu=

Nigerian Muslims say riot reporter must die

A Nigeria state government has ordered Muslims to kill the journalist whose article sparked the Miss World riots.

A spokesman for the authorities in northern Zamfara state say shariah law calls for the death of Isioma Daniel of the This Day newspaper.

More than 200 people died in the riots after she defended the pageant against its Muslim hardliners.

She implied that Islam's founding prophet Muhammad would have enjoyed the show - probably even choosing a bride from among the contestants.

Zamfara deputy governor Mahamoud Shinkafi, said: "Just like the blasphemous Indian writer Salman Rushdie, the blood of Isioma Daniel can be shed."

Rushdie went into hiding after Iran's late revolutionary leader, Ayatollah Khomeini, issued a fatwa against him for allegedly insulting Islam in his novel, The Satanic Verses.

The edict for Muslims to kill Daniel came even though Nigeria's chief Islamic leader has called for forgiveness.

The newspaper has retracted her comments and apologised several times.

Zamfara state information commissioner Tukur Umar Dangaladima said that under Muslim law, state officials cannot issue fatwas, but the deputy governor, "like all Muslims," considers the death sentence against Daniel as "a reality based on the teachings of the Koran".

He added: "If she is Muslim, she has no option except to die. But if she is a non-Muslim, the only way out for her is to convert to Islam."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Nagilum
    He added: "If she is Muslim, she has no option except to die. But if she is a non-Muslim, the only way out for her is to convert to Islam."

This bit was my favourite too.

So if she's a Muslim she gets killed, if she's not she gets killed unless she converts. If she converts they get to kill her and feel a little better about it.
    the blasphemous Indian writer Salman Rushdie
    The Satanic Verses was a terrible book. Almost no-one would have read it if no-one had condemned it. It's the most unreadable book Rushdie has ever written. Midnights Children was a masterpiece, I loved the book. Haroun and the Sea of Stories is one of the best childrens books I've ever read. Satanic Verses was a pile of crap. The ayatollahs precipitated what I like to think of as the "Frankie effect" (ban/condemn something (like a 1985 record about gay sex) and everyone's going to buy it to find out why. Plus all the people that buy it just to burn it. Stay schtum and no-one will care). It's not even all that blasphemous (in a general sense, obviously it's not blasphemous under UK law as it's limited to Judeo-Christian faiths as an offence). If they'd said nothing, almost everyone would have made it to the end of the second chapter, stopped reading and never reached the nasty blasphemous bit. It's one of life's bitter ironies - like campaigning to enact a constitutional amendment to prevent abortion that eventually results in forcing the introduction of the procedure.

Advertisement