Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne - the secrets (or lack thereof)

Options
  • 16-08-2001 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

In the recent topic of Max Payne, a common criticism which was levelled was that it was too linear, "with no hidden secrets".

First off, I find this a very strange attitude. There are hidden things in the game, and its a question as to whether or not you found them. OK, so clips and weapons hidden in somewhat hidden areas are nothing special, but there are three major hidden bits which I think are worth mentioning, cause theyre cool - especially the third one :

1) Ep 3, Chapter 4 (I think) - the car park. Rather than going down the ramp, jump up on the barrel beside it. From here you can get onto the roof, and into a room up there, where there is a dead body and a radio. Radio contains messages from Remedy Entertainment (apparently). I havent done this one yet - I was told about it

2) Episode 3, Chapter 5 (I think) - you're going through Wodens office, there is a piccie of a girl in the third room (I think) to the right of a door. Shoot it down and you see a button. Press it. The couch behind you lists up, revealing a stairwell down into a hidden room where Woden keeps his S&M gear. Turn on the TV and its a ****take of StarTrek. Nothing useful...jsut funny

3) My fave. Ep 1 or 2 is called "Roscoe Street Station". This is where you go into the bank and the three vaults to get Aesir Corp bonds, and detonators. Right, now on the way out, you come up the stairs towards the door you gotta blow and a bench gets half pushed across the stairwell. Kill these three guys quickly and one should drop the grennie he was about to throw at you.

Pick up gren, and go back to start of level, where there is some missing bricks in the wall at about floor level. Throw grennie in here.

Go back towards level exit (door to blow up with detonator). You come to the first room which has rats running about. They are now armed with little berettas or deagles, and will try to kill you smile.gif

Better yet, if you come into the room and turn 90 degrees to your right immediately, there is a broken light fitting on the roof (i.e. the lights arent working). Shoot this, and it will fall down, at which point the rats form two teams who try killing each other.

Funny? ****in priceless. Its really worth playing through the first level again just to see this. Honestly.

There are way more than this, but these are the best. If you speak french, go have a look at http://www.joystick.fr/actus/fiche_actu.php3?ID=233 which will list all the best ones found so far. Only fills 4 pages, although some of these are a bit obvious to be called "secrets" smile.gif

Anyone else find anything cool in the game?

jc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Heres some more

In the rooftop chase sequence there's a room you can get to that has a poster of Soldier Of Fortune II and some other useful goodies.
    Playing it again now to find exactly where.

When you walk in on the bank robbery, you can shoot the wailing siren to stop it. Do this and Max will thank you.

When you find the piano on the manor level, if you "use" it Max will play the title theme. Shoot the lid support out to drop the lid and then try playing the piano again.

When you find the drum kit in the Ragna Rock bar, "use" it to play some beats. You can also get the guitar on the floor to squeal and if you "use" the stage microphones Max will say: "Karaoke was never my thing".

In Chapter 1 level 3 you can find the handiwork of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Once you have found Muerte's Room (313), turn right when you exit the room. At the end of the hallway turn left and you will see a bathroom on the left side and a wooden door that is partially broken on the right side. Using any weapon break through the wood. Go through the room until you get to the broken window. Go through the window onto the ledge and follow the blood on the ledge. You will come to another boarded up doorway which is partially broken. Again using any weapon break through. Inside the room you will find a body with a stake in it and "Buff" written on the floor.

In the level where you are chasing Gognitti across rooftops after the train bail, work your way up to the point where Gognitti's pounding on a locked door. Go down the metal staircase once you regain control, and go behind (underneath) the stairs. At the back is a door. Open it and walk down. Inside you'll find some weapons, and a poster that says "Dopefish Lives!" For historical purposes: The Dopefish was an enemy in Commander Keen 4 (in the Well of Wishes level) and has been spotted in several games including Quake 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Anyone see the Dopefish in Anachronox? Its in a tank inside Boman's lab when you meet her for the first time.

Well spotted Lex.

He's also in

Quake
    Quake2
    Descent
    Shadow Warrior
    BattleZone
    Kingpin
    Daikatana

if any1's in the least bit interesed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Dopefish? What's that then?

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's even a secret in the tutorial map. Near where you have your first gunfight. Jump onto the roof of the van with the sniper rifle in it, onto the air conditioning unit on the wall and climb up the fire escape. On the top floor is a room containing an ingram, ammo and painkillers smile.gif

- Munch

• Advertisement

Dopefish was a character in one of the Commander Keen Episodes(III or IV or think)

For some reason he's become a kind of cult figure in America and has popped up in games,films,graffiti and god knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BattlingCheese:
    Dopefish was a character in one of the Commander Keen Episodes(III or IV or think)

For some reason he's become a kind of cult figure in America and has popped up in games,films,graffiti and god knows what else.
    </font>
    For full details, go check www.dopefish.com[/b]

jc

Advertisement