Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 bit era the classics...

Options
  • 16-08-2001 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Ok i just got nostalgiec with one of my ol favs in 1 of the other posts so i went out and dug up my mega drive for a last few rounds of gaming fun....I must say i miss most of the classic characters. And the addictive yet simple gameplay.

So i ask you wha are you fav old 16 bit games..

Well fo me it has to be Sonic3 with sonic and knuckles combined ahhhhh never felt so good biggrin.gif

and Gunstar heros This game was a fcukin classic and a shame no one thought of making a new one it was brilliantt. From the customizble weapons (laser and homing rule!)
    to the mass slaughter and excellent bosses. funny too. I luv the mine car level and the air base the two of them rock. And the final levels in the space station is cool.

i mention funny 2 things i luv:

1. WHen u get laser with flamethrower u create a lightsaber which is really cool for running through the masses cutting their guts open biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

2.3rd last level you blowing all these explosive barrels up when one doesnt blow. your there shooting like mad when suddenly it gets up and walks off??? then later u run into the very last soldier and he's trying to beat u by dancing then th general comes in and kicks his ass biggrin.gif

wha is your favourite 16 bit gem?

other classics: streets of rage strider shinobi etc etc

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Streets of rage owned me as did the marios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Street fighter Two champsionship edition whatever, too many to list actually smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

streets of rage 2 0wned j00s all.....
    as did sonic3+sonicn&knuckles,flash back,
    street fighter2 (classic), golden axe, mario's,mario kart (1337ness),zelda's, shining force (1337est rpg EVER!!!,almost beats TFC...almost wink.gif),.....
    the list is endless biggrin.gif

And if u havent played shining force download it and play it on ure PC,its a must play game smile.gif

[just adding a few smile.gif]

[This message has been edited by Pugsley (edited 16-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭LURCH

hmm i have to say that my faves would be .....
    hmmm ....
    the streets of rage series
    the street fighter series (and yes i played streetfighter 1 :P)
    the sonic series
    shining force (brilliant RPG still to be beaten IMHO)
    hmm and a few other that i cant remember smile.gif
    but what about the master system and nes ??
    personal favre on the 8 bit consoles was Asterix & Obelix, it 0wned j00 all biggrin.gif

is it real ? it can't be, are u serious ?

just a final note......
    PLAY SHINING FORCE !!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ok i'll try....sheesh here i am looking for tenchi game for snes biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Killer Instinct
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Chrono Trigger
    Beauty & The Beast
    Donkey Kong Country 2,3
    (all snes)

What is now was once only imagined.

Its been 5-6years since i finished it....
    and i can still remember most of the charecters and fights...it was THAT good smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Metroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mario Kart, Streets of Rage, Street Fighter 2, Shinobi are some of my favs. There's too many to list though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

SNES games:
    Zelda 3
    SFII
    DKC
    Flashback
    Stunt Race FX
    SMW
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Chrono Trigger
    SoM
    and many many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Meanwhile amp was playing on a real 16 bit computer, the Amiga 500. Speedball 2, Gods, Supercars 2, Lotus Challenge, Xenon 2, SimCity.

Truly them were the days, when men were boys and gameplay was king.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

ahk streets of rage (2 i think..) sucked, i remember it was one of the 1st games i got on my megadrive on christmas morning, i had it finished before christmas dinner and never played it again :P

i'm gonna go for EA Hockey, sooo much fun, best sports game ever, still has'nt been bettered smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pugsley:
    SHINING FORCE !!!!!!!!!!
    Its been 5-6years since i finished it....
    and i can still remember most of the charecters and fights...it was THAT good smile.gif
    </font>

I know exactly what you mean, to this day I could play that game out in my head, perfect battle system, perfect level set-up, perfect (at the time) visuals.
    My only qualm was that it seemed that when you promoted your character they leveled down for several battles, so you couldnt promote them all at the same time or be left with a sh|tty team.

Gort owns you all

OK DAMIT!!! i get the picture i'll try shining force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Shinobi, Sonic series (the one with that knuckles guy 0wned), Streets of Rage and Mortal Kombat are a few I remember loving.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Amiga 500 - 16 bit gaming owned

Sensi soccer,
    Mega Lo Mania,
    Cannon fodder,
    Elite: Frontier (3 months gameplay),
    Toki,
    Monkey Island 1/2,
    Indy Jones - Fate of Atlantis,
    Bomberman &
    North & South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Haer

Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Seiken densetsu, Tales of Phantasia, Sf2, etc,etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Never actually owned a console, but I did celebrate the 16-bit era with my Amiga 600 (there was a whole meg of RAM in that powerhouse).

My favouries had to be:
    Monkey Island 2
    Xenon 2 Megablast (Coz that tune "Bomb the bass" owned me)
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    Shadow of the Beast 2
    Chaos Engine
    Alien Breed 2
    Street Fighter 2 (But I admit I preffered the SNES version)
    Lemmings (all versions)
    Nightbreed
    and then end the day with artistic creativity using Dulux Paint 3 cool.gif

;-phobos-)

winning hand u have a great taste in games,nice 2 see it biggrin.gif
    I know what ya mean,but it was cool seeing there new attack 4 the 1st time,i just HAD to promote them all instantly smile.gif
    And ure main charecter has a special attack (only ever seen it once) but its real strong and i havent a clue how i done it :/
    I just attacked and he done some super attack,was strange but i wasnt complaining when it killed 1 of the heads on the final boss in 1 hit smile.gif

• Advertisement

Well u'll be glad to know i tried Shining force and yes it is very good... didnt they make a new one on the saturn?

anyway because i used the rom half the stuff goes over my head so i'm guessing and preying through the game.

its a shame none of the games back then had epic storylines like today i would have liked abit more character interaction frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

GB - North and South....the most fun game i had on my amiga, runs great under WinUAE too smile.gif

It may not have the story of FF7 but it has 10x the playablity,no game has tried that style of play,and its the origionality thats makes u remember it.
    There is a sort of story to it,but not much.
    And yea there was 1 on the saturn,but the saturn had died by the timer it was released so not many people got 2 play it frown.gif
    looked quite god aswell.

i have a saturn so i might dig it up... biggrin.gif tell ye wha its like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

The Saturn sank like a stone with sevaral lead weights on it when the psone and n64 were released it had a few good games.Most of hem are now availiable on the p.c e.g nights and panzer dragoon and vf.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

Advertisement