Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iis

Options
  • 12-02-2003 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

I have win2k Pro running on my machine. Should I not also have IIS automatically installed in it as well as part of win 2k, if not does any one know where I can get it/install it. thanks

paddyc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I recommend 'Abria Merlin' if you want to run PHP scripts or MySQL.

Free software, just search for Abria merlin on Altavista.

http://www.altavista.ie

IIS is good for ASP scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

It will not automatically install with the Disk w2k it is an added extra just go back to the disk and install it from the add on menu its about 18mg as I had to do it last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

IIS is not installed by default in W2K Pro, AFAIR.

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Componants

You'll need the W2K Pro CD of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Lets reminded you that you can pick up a windows ported version of apache free of charge from apache.org.

Regards

• Advertisement

Not much use if what he's looking for is to develop ASP scrips though (and don't mention Chillisoft to me) :p

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Not much use if what he's looking for is to develop ASP scrips though (and don't mention Chillisoft to me) :p

I didnt notice him talking about .asp, Chillisoft has its problems at the moment excluding the crazy pricing. XML services is all well and good but i wouldnt be the greatest fan of .asp but then again I am not that much of a web scripter.

Regards

Originally posted by tom-thebox
    I didnt notice him talking about .asp
    He didn't, but he did specifically ask about installing IIS not any Web Server.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    He didn't, but he did specifically ask about installing IIS not any Web Server.

Quite right, and I then came in with the statment that he may rather choose apache and offered him a link.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

PaddyC , make sure you have every single security patch for Win2K and IIS before you install. I think most of the IIS patches are cumulative now anyway. You'll need the patches or if you go online with that computer you'll get done by some worm fairly fast.

• Advertisement

Quite right make sure you have ran your windows update, windows 2000 is on service pack 3 at the moment get hold of the IIS lockdown kit if possible I have supplyed a link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/tools/tools/locktool.asp

If you are going for a Irish host Data Electronics have some nice hardware firewalls in stock.

Best Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Incidentally you can run php, my sql and asp on IIS aswell. Though if you build a website locally that requires IIs you'll need hosting that also supports it when you go to put a site online.

Advertisement