Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave from work...

Options
  • 12-02-2003 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondered if any one knew of whether employers are obliged to give study leave to employees around exam time.

I work for a company, and although they are not paying for my degree course at night, I am hoping that they will be accomodating by allowing me to take time off for study purposes. I am hoping that they will will give me a couple of paid days, but just wondered if there was any obligation on them to do so. somebody mentioned this to me before, but I am not 100% sure if this is in fact the case...

Voodoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know of any specific requirement for paid study leave unless it is in your contract. You could ask for unpaid leave or take holiday leave.

Ask your employer if they will give you an exam bonus (usually in the amount of your year's fees) - it is tax free income (as there is risk involved).

The Employment Equality Act may give you some support as it entitles you, as a right, to run your life around work.

Advertisement