Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 IRISH GUYS in Colombia

Options
  • 12-02-2003 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

What do you think of the 3 "reporters" visiting Colombia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I think they should bring me back a nice mound of quality charlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 karpovx

Because at the end of the end... they will never return to the ALWAYS GREEN IRELAND.

::: that's what happen when you are a little IRA guy ::::

• Registered Users Posts: 78,410 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by karpovx
    What do you think of the 3 "reporters" visiting Colombia?
    Which 3 reporters would these be? Do you have any links to stories or the like?

Please read the charter.

They said they were reports, but they were IRA terrorist training la FARC guerrilla.
    Now they are arrested and crying missing Belfast and a good paint of guiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Now Now karpovx. Be careful what you say. Although they are currently under the duristriction of another court they have not been convicted with anything. One of the people up on charges is the brother of a fairly high profile 'reporter' in Ireland. Maybe that is where you are getting your lines crossed. And BTW read the rules before posting. It's not good enough/allowed to just have a single statement, be it accurate or not, and say what do you think. Give your own opinion, include links, if you can, to back it up.

• Advertisement

Hi Hobart....
    Now now... I can give you as many links as you want. The problem is that I image you don't speak spanish, and in the other hand I guess you have not a clue about the Colombian Conflict. ... do you?
    May be... just may be if you had a Clue About Colombia, about the war and about the Guerrilla de la Farc and ELN, then may be you will be able to understand why PEOPLE, NORMAL people DO not go to "chat" with the guerrilla.
    Bye the way you can check out many webpages where they show the relation between Colombian Terrorism and The IRA.
    Also I advice you to check the PAST of this 3 guys. IRA shadow is all over their lovely C.V :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

innocent until proven guilty , regardless of their past. It's not a crime to be a republican. I doubt anyone will get to testify against them anyway, hopefully this will end the ira's venture into international consultancy work .

Now Now karpovx. Don't be a cheeky little monkey. Listen to what growler says.

You don't know whether I do speak spanish ir not. Maybe I might know one of the guy's locked up in Columbia. Maybe I might know his brother, who works for an Irish newspaper, maybe I work for an Irish newspaper. Maybe I know a little bit more about the american influence on this case. Maybe. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by growler
    innocent until proven guilty , regardless of their past. It's not a crime to be a republican. I doubt anyone will get to testify against them anyway, hopefully this will end the ira's venture into international consultancy work .

I think SF needs to come out & explain why these 3 were in Columbia.

No more excuses or apologies.

Maybe RTE will doorstep SF at the Peace March tomorrow.

Sinn Fein have commented on these guys. Initially they denied any connection with them. They then went on to say that on of them was thier 'fund raiser' in Cuba. Just google and you will find plenty on it. Bottom line is that Sinn Fein are distancing themselves from it.
    Maybe RTE will doorstep SF at the Peace March tomorrow
    No Idea what that is supposed to mean. Could you please expand.

• Advertisement

I find it ironic that a "political party" that refused to codemn an illegal army being involved in a Peace March.

Why the comma's around the words "political party"? Secondly they i.e. Sinn Fein would have a different view of your defiinition of an illegal army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Hobart
    Why the comma's around the words "political party"?
    Because Sinn Fein is not a proper political party, since it does not use exclusively peaceful political means ("a ballot box in one hand and an armalite in the other" - Danny Morrison).
    Secondly they i.e. Sinn Fein would have a different view of your defiinition of an illegal army.
    illegal, noun: 1. Prohibited by law.
    army, noun: 1. A large organized body of armed personnel trained for war especially on land
    So, what is the definition of "illegal army" in the Sinn Fein dictionary? And why does the Sinn Fein definition differ from every other dictionary in the English language?

Because Sinn Fein is not a proper political party, since it does not use exclusively peaceful political means
    So by that analagy, The Greens would not be a proper political party, as they are also known to use 'illegal' means to re-inforce thier means, breaking into labs, destroyiong crops etc.......
    However the Dail and a substancial amount of people who voted for Sinn Fein view them as a legit party, so I presume that they are your views and not a statement of fact. When the fact is that they actually are a politcal party.
    illegal, noun: 1. Prohibited by law.
    army, noun: 1. A large organized body of armed personnel trained for war especially on land
    Thanks for the clarification on those words. But please take the time to re-read my original post. I said that they i.e. Sinn Fein would have a different view on that. If you want to ask them click here and i am sure they will accomadate you.

As an aside how do YOU define a proper polital party???

So by that analagy, The Greens would not be a proper political party, as they are also known to use 'illegal' means to re-inforce thier means, breaking into labs, destroyiong crops etc.......
    This comparison is specious. There have been no incidents of destruction of crops involving the Irish Green Party. All those incidents in this country have involved extremist fringe groups. The Greens confine themselves to peaceful, legal protests, and they don't condone violence or illegal activities in any way. Unlike Sinn Féin.
    As an aside how do YOU define a proper polital party???
    One that doesn't run its own private army on the side?

Listen Hobart, may be you know them, may be you the 3 of them and you use to make parties in Belfast putting bombs. I really don't care.
    They are in Colombia now. Far way from Ireland. Colombian people don't give a **** about IRA terrorists.
    They broke the colombian law. As simple as that.
    Now they have to face the consecuences.
    As simple as that my little Hobart. You little green monkey.

Originally posted by karpovx
    They broke the colombian law.
    Isn't that what the trial is supposed to decide? Seems you're prejudging things a little...

Look karpovx. Stop your little rant and think for a second. It's people like you that got the Birmingham 6 and Gildford 4 locked up. I am assuming that as you are probably in Ireland that you have no Idea what the ordinary Joe in the street in Colombia knows. So If you want to have an informed Debate on the issue I am more than willing to do that. If you want to have a rant go to http://www.haveabigrant.com and vent your little anger there. As i said earlier in the thread read the charter and then have a little think before putting your hands on that keyboard of yours. And lastly have a look at MEH post and answer that. OK? And stop trolling.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Originally posted by Cork
    I find it ironic that a "political party" that refused to codemn an illegal army being involved in a Peace March.

what I don't understand is why we don't treat Democratic Left/Labour in the same way as the shinners are? I mean the DL had clear links with the official IRA didn't they and they now run Labour with Rabbitte, De Rossa and co. critisising Sinn Fein links with the provos. (the pot calling the kettle black?)

"Controversy dogged the party over the years with allegations of illegal fund-raising activities by the party and its association with the Official IRA." from Ireland.com

Here

I dunno, it just seems hypocritical to me, can someone clear this up and what's the difference?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

the notoriously short memories of the irish electorate!!
    go back long enough and all parties had their share of illegality and insurrection (except the PD's who run extensive racketeering in Limerick) ;-)

There have been no incidents of destruction of crops involving the Irish Green Party. All those incidents in this country have involved extremist fringe groups
    I would say that most political parties have so called 'extremist fringe groups' that do or do not have some allengencies.
    One that doesn't run its own private army on the side?
    Your memory is far too short, Meh, ever here of Charles J Haughey and his links to illegal paramilitary activites. Some even said that there was government collusion on this. Ever here of the Irish Governments plan to arm catholics in the North. Hardly legal! What about the so-called links between DeRossa and the communists?

The boundaries of legality can be stretched to suit a governments own needs. Power corrupts. That has been proved again and again. Remember the CIA in Panama and Columbia. Hardly legal but backed by so called Proper Politcal Parties. What about the bombing of the Rainbow warrior by the French. Hardly legal but backed by so called Proper Political Parties.There are many more examples.

I would say that most political parties have so called 'extremist fringe groups' that do or do not have some allengencies.
    Really? So which terrorist organization is (for example) Fine Gael currently associated with?
    Your memory is far too short, Meh, ever here of Charles J Haughey and his links to illegal paramilitary activites. Some even said that there was government collusion on this.
    That was never a government policy or a Fianna Fáil policy. It was a secret conspiracy between a few malcontents in the party, who were immediately sacked when it was revealed. Again, in contrast to Sinn Féin, who make no secret of their approval of the IRA.
    Ever here of the Irish Governments plan to arm catholics in the North. Hardly legal!
    Which is why they never followed through on the plan.
    What about the so-called links between DeRossa and the communists?
    What about them? Being a communist, unlike being a terrorist, isn't illegal.

Really? So which terrorist organization is (for example) Fine Gael currently associated with?
    I said most not all. TBH I have no idea who Fine Gael may or may not be associated with. But remember where Finna Fail rose from.
    That was never a government policy or a Fianna Fáil policy. It was a secret conspiracy between a few malcontents in the party,.
    Really? I think you will find that it was a little bit more than that. However I will re-visit that point on Monday (I'm at home at the moment and have shag all bandwidth. However, remember it is the party members who decide what the party policy is, and these were party members.
    Which is why they never followed through on the plan
    I think that you will find that it was nothing got to do with the actual legalities. It would never have been a plan it that was the case.
    What about them? Being a communist, unlike being a terrorist, isn't illegal
    I think it was more about the so called illegal funding he was recieving that was the problem as opposed to the actual realationship.

However I still stand by my initial point that power can and does corrupt. Just because it is party policy to do something does not mean that it is proper or legal. And I refer you back to my points about the USA and France.

In fact look at what the Belgians are doing now in relation to Sharon. Now I know that they have said that they will not prosecute while he is in power. But they also said that they will not rule it out after he is no longer prime minister.

Sinn Fein, like Finna Fail, have come a long way since the 1970's and they are trying to form some sort of political shape, while trying to keep some semblance of allegience with the IRA. Don't for one minute get me wrong. I despise the tactics with which the IRA operated. I do, however, have some sympathy with thier aims. i.e. a united Ireland. But only through peaceful means. I would not advocate the sheeding of one drop of blood from any nationality to further thier or anybody else's cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    Sinn Féin are still terrorists and criminals. They refuse to obey the law of the land and don't agree to fundamental sections of our constitution.

On the Columbia thing. I'm not going to presume anyone's guilt but usually the most likely explanation is the true thing. Do you want to give me a more likely explanation as to why 3 IRA members were in Columbia in FARC controlled areas with fake passports.

I agree, the sheer horror of bombngs, shooting & punishment beatings that GO On in this country.

The SDLP are head and sholders above SF.

Sinn Féin are still terrorists and criminals
    Ok daveirl thats your opinion. However that would go against every logical thought that any free democratic Irish person would have. You seem to ignore that representitives of your government are from Sinn Fein.

I also believe that it is now illegal to elect anybody who is a known criminal or a member of an illegal organisation.
    On the Columbia thing. I'm not going to presume anyone's guilt but usually the most likely explanation is the true thing.
    That statement is totally contradictory. What do you mean by that? I am thinking that they are innoncent but they are probably guilty? Well just come out and say it. Do you know what I reckon that they were not down there just to look at the scenery. At a big guess I reckon that they were up to no good. Maybe I am way off. Who knows?
    Do you want to give me a more likely explanation as to why 3 IRA members were in Columbia in FARC controlled areas with fake passports
    No.
    I agree, the sheer horror of bombngs, shooting & punishment beatings that GO On in this country.
    Cork I agree. But you are adding nothing by using these sound-bites. I believe that we are all appaled by the suffering of innoncent people in any conflict. TBH your statement could be attributed to most threads in this forum. I know that you are not the best typist but try to get your point across a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I hope the Colombians put them away for life. Better to have them locked up over there than free men over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I´m Colombian. And BELIEVE me... People back home in my country are not going to let the 3 IRA guys Free. Many people are dying in my country, thanks to people like the 3 IRA guys HELPING the guerrillas to IMPROVE their bombs, their attacks....
    Terrorism is a business, is not a political situation any more. The IRA guys where in Colombia as a business exchange. They teach them how to improve their bomb, and FARC give them $$$$ product of the drug business.
    So NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA, hey hey GOOD BYE.... to the 3 irish "inocent" guys. With fake passports? After traveling to the guerrilla zone?.... mmmm... I don´t think so...

Advertisement