Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking in our locals!

• 12-02-2003 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Oh my god wat the hell are we gonna do next january
    when it is illegal to smoke in the pubs!
    i my opinion i cant see it working! people will smoke
    and if it is extremly stricked we will all end up sitting at home and drinking with our fags!Evangelical-1.jpg

Policy 702 - Non-Smoking!
    702.cfm?menu=700

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

There was a very good discussion about this in after hours I think. I agree with the move and I hope that it is strictly enforced, but then again I have been off the fags for quite some time and find that a pub is the ultimate temptation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

dats a good point for u Thanx 4 The Fish! but you dont smoke anymore! its gonna be hell for us smokers less temptation for ur people! its all true! one side had to lose! unfortunitily it is us the smokers! do u think itll work????? and by the way well done on gettin off the fags!!! tell me your secret-HOW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Do you think that some pubs might ignore the rule to keep the custom in and the regulars happy?
    I can't see it happening in the bigger pub in dublin but what about little-old-man country pubs?

and do you think that further problems will be caused by people flooding out onto the street, cigarettes and pints in hand? Espceially in the summer when the length of time between smokes is small and the hot weather means its nice to stay outside with pint in hand...

I remember in previous summers the Stags Head had fierce problems with people staying out on the street and leaving glasses around and apparently the cops came along and said sort it out or there may be trouble with the licence...

I remember in previous summers the Stags Head had fierce problems with people staying out on the street and leaving glasses around and apparently the cops came along and said sort it out or there may be trouble with the licence... [/B][/QUOTE]

WAT WILL HAPPEN THERE IS TAT WE WILL BE FORCED TO LEAVE OUR DRINK INSIDE WHILE WE HAVE OUR FAG OUTSIDE!

Originally posted by The Reaper
    dats a good point for u Thanx 4 The Fish! but you dont smoke anymore! its gonna be hell for us smokers less temptation for ur people! its all true! one side had to lose! unfortunitily it is us the smokers! do u think itll work????? and by the way well done on gettin off the fags!!! tell me your secret-HOW?

Try watching somebody die of lung cancer, I found that to be a great motivator.

• Advertisement

awww oooh! aahh! i know but it doesnt work! it really grosses me out plus all them t.v adds do to cuz i hate blood! but wen i smoke a fag i dont think of it i say to myself na it wont happen to me not me! and im sorry to hear about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I remember in previous summers the Stags Head had fierce problems with people staying out on the street and leaving glasses around and apparently the cops came along and said sort it out or there may be trouble with the licence...

WAT WILL HAPPEN THERE IS TAT WE WILL BE FORCED TO LEAVE OUR DRINK INSIDE WHILE WE HAVE OUR FAG OUTSIDE! [/B][/QUOTE]

'Wat' will happen is that no pub is going to have a doorman checking people for pints as they leave pubs to have a smoke outside, can you imagine a bouncer saying "sorry mate, you'll have to leave your pint here with me while you go out for a smoke" and then having to leave your pint on some table, where every other smoker has their pint, and you never know what could get slipped into your drink...

There may be trouble ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i think pubs should have a no smoking area and a smoking area like in restaurats!!! it would solve a lot of the problems!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

PLASTIC CUPS! DATS WAT THEY WILL GIVE US!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Well in fairness, you cant stop the governement from trying to save your life. I suppose you should have the choice to kill yourself slowly if you want, maybe that your thing, but you arent giving other people in bars the choice, they have to breath your damaging second hand smoke , or leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

always wondered why 'staff' are complaining or rather the other other non-smokers for them.. if you go work in a pub or restaurant ..you know it's going to get 'smokey'
    I don't wanne work in a coalmine if i get annoyed by coal dust.
    I don't wanne work in a nightclub if i am annoyed with drunk people.
    I don't wanne work as a bouncer , if i don't wanne get my head kicked in.
    etc
    etc
    etc

(non-smoker btw- since recently)

Originally posted by Wook
    always wondered why 'staff' are complaining or rather the other other non-smokers for them.. if you go work in a pub or restaurant ..you know it's going to get 'smokey'
    I don't wanne work in a coalmine if i get annoyed by coal dust.
    I don't wanne work in a nightclub if i am annoyed with drunk people.
    I don't wanne work as a bouncer , if i don't wanne get my head kicked in.
    etc
    etc
    etc

(non-smoker btw- since recently)
    thats a very good point!
    and for the non smokers we sud have a non-smoking section in the pub (you will still see our smoking but it wont kill ye!

well onlt time will tell what happens i hope we get a smoking area and i think that is totally fair!

Just like in the public swimming pool there is a pissing section and a non pissing section ??

Oh yeah that doesn't happen because it would not work...

Thanks to whoever came up with the pissing area in a pool bit :)

there is always hope and i wont be suprised if it happens!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

A non-smoker here, and personally I think this new law will never work properly.

I can see publicans turning a blind eye just to keep locals happy, and so on.

I mean I used smoke, not frequently, just the odd one in the night club. Pubs and night club seem to be the more social areas to smoke.

This law just can't possibly work. But I still think something should be done about passive smoking, this approach however is not the solution.

Originally posted by memphis

This law just can't possibly work. But I still think something should be done about passive smoking, this approach however is not the solution. [/B]

yes it isnt fair to passive smoke plus its worse than actually smoking so conclusions anyone?

Why not let the government put money back into the pubs, by allowing all publicans to install state of the art ventilation systems.......

and don't tell me the money isn't there..............

Bertie has us bleed dry, be it, from the rise in prices of petrrol/deisel, drink/fags, car insurance, tax payments, student fees, etc, the list goes on.......

But no the chancer is only spending it on himself, looking after "numero uno", by looking into buying private jets, and erecting that ridiculous spike in the middle of Dublin city.

• Advertisement

The vintners have had plenty of opportunity to install state of the art ventilation systems and haven't bothered. Why should the government hand out "My money" to pay for vintners to ensure that they make more money ???

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    The vintners have had plenty of opportunity to install state of the art ventilation systems and haven't bothered. Why should the government hand out "My money" to pay for vintners to ensure that they make more money ???
    Because our money wud go for something useful for us (not a ****ing spikepole on o connell street (what the **** will that do 4us!

Because our money wud go for something useful for us (not a ****ing spikepole on o connell street (what the **** will that do 4us!

My sentiments exactly! Thats exactly the point I was making.... it wud be money better spent!

But why should it be money spent by us ?
    Pubs are businesses and they have known for
    years that this could be coming yet the ventilation
    wasn't put in then. They missed their window.

Hard luck, I shall enjoy my smoke free pub air
    on Jan 1

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    But why should it be money spent by us ?
    Pubs are businesses and they have known for
    years that this could be coming yet the ventilation
    wasn't put in then. They missed their window.

Hard luck, I shall enjoy my smoke free pub air
    on Jan 1

u wont, a blind eye will be turned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bloody good move.
    but to be honest, if you are still tempted to smoke after a few bees, you are not really off them, you are just not smoking for a bit.
    ive been off them since new years, and i have wanted to give up, but my main problem was that i was always afraid that i wouldnt have as much fun with out smokes.
    but its easy as pie.
    ive been trashed many times since i gave up and i havent wanted a smoke. i havent had 'urges' i dont miss them and i feel so much better, and im so much richer now as well :)
    and i am now in the brigade that hates comeing home from the pub smelling of smoke.
    ban them all, it is a filthy rotten habit, and we all know it. and if you want to smoke at home, then go and do it.

three cheers for the militant ex smokers :)

by the way, get allen carrs easy way to stop smoking.
    it works :)

yea i wana quit but i wont cuz i like!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

As the song goes "Don't fear The Reaper" unless he is stood next to you in a pub inflicting his toxic fumes on you!
    yea i wana quit but i wont cuz i like!!!!!

I understand where you are coming from - I like hitting myself in the head repeatedly - it's bad for me but I wont quit cos I like it!
    I can't understand why people object when I hit them on the head repeatedly too. I don't even hit them as hard!:D

Originally posted by dougal
    As the song goes "Don't fear The Reaper" unless he is stood next to you in a pub inflicting his toxic fumes on you!

I understand where you are coming from - I like hitting myself in the head repeatedly - it's bad for me but I wont quit cos I like it!
    I can't understand why people object when I hit them on the head repeatedly too. I don't even hit them as hard!:D
    hey i use to do that i use to head butt walls and all got out of it doh! a special female treatened me out of doing it but letts not wonder off the topic! it aint so hard for some people to quit but for others its harder!

• Advertisement

Am sure there is a message in there somewhere dougal ;)

I think Reaper that you will have a bit of surprise waiting for you in the new year. If I am in a pub and somebody lights up beside me, I will say it to the smoker and if nothing to the landlord and if nothing will demand my money back and leave. If he does not pay up the Garda Schickeloney will be on the way.

Anyway there will be no need for my brand of militaintism because if a landlord allows somebody to smoke on thier premises they will be fined along with the smoker. You'll find that nothing will make a landlord fall in to line as fast as threatening to take money off them.

Advertisement