Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] Murdoch backs war

Options
  • 12-02-2003 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

Murdoch praises Blair's 'courage'

Julia Day
    Wednesday February 12, 2003
    The Guardian

Rupert Murdoch has given his full backing to war, praising George Bush as acting "morally" and "correctly" and describing Tony Blair as "full of guts" for going out on a limb in his support for an attack on Iraq.
    The media tycoon said he was completely behind Mr Bush and Mr Blair as they faced opposition from Germany and France. Much of the world, he said, cannot accept that America is the only superpower.

"I think Tony is being extraordinarily courageous and strong on what his stance is in the Middle East. It's not easy to do that living in a party which is largely composed of people that have a knee-jerk anti-Americanism and are sort of pacifist," Mr Murdoch told the Australian news magazine The Bulletin. "But he's shown great guts, as he did, I think, in Kosovo and over various problems in the old Yugoslavia."

Mr Murdoch was unequivocal about war with Iraq. "We can't back down now. I think Bush is acting very morally, very correctly, and I think he is going to go on with it."

He said the price of oil would be one of the war's main benefits. "The greatest thing to come out of this for the world economy, if you could put it that way, would be $20 a barrel for oil. That's bigger than any tax cut in any country."

Mr Murdoch's comments come just a week after he told Fortune magazine in the US that war could fuel an economic boom.

"Who knows what the future holds? I have a pretty optimistic medium and long-term view but things are going to be pretty sticky until we get Iraq behind us. But once it's behind us, the whole world will benefit from cheaper oil which will be a bigger stimulus than anything else," he told Fortune.

Mr Murdoch believes there is no doubt that President Bush will be re-elected if he wins the war with Iraq and the US economy remains healthy.

"He will either go down in history as a very great president or he'll crash and burn. I'm optimistic it will be the former by a ratio of two to one."

Idiot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

A war would make Murdoch lots of money wouldn't it:)
    I'd say he's salivating just at the thoughts.
    Brings to mind that James Bond flick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Everyone should boycott the Sun and Sky for him being such a spanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I saw this and shuddered. Although it is obvious, he should not come out and announce it.
    How scary is that. The largest media baron in the world supports war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Murdoch supports the war? Right, that's it, it MUST be wrong. I'm off to start printing up some banners for Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Probobly because most of the people in Britain are totaly against the war and most people would switch off if they see some sad little reporters beating the war drum. I have noticed though that they are progressively getting more pro war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Shinji
    Murdoch supports the war? Right, that's it, it MUST be wrong. I'm off to start printing up some banners for Saturday.

This doesn't make the war 'wrong'. War is wrong already. This makes HIM 'wrong'.

... purely in many people's subjective opinions.

Nice sarcasm, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I would imagine printing that will earn Murdock PPV righst to the war in the gulf.
    "Only on Fox PPV this Sunday, Death Cam , watch as missiles from 1,000 miles away blow up suspect chemical plants.

Press the red button on your remote to view individual soldier cam, get up close with America's fight for freedom without leaving the comforts of your arm chair.

Sponsored by Mc Donald’s".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by daveirl
    I think Sky give a balanced enough view in fairness. I would have expected them to be very pro war themselves but they aren't as pro war as I thought they'd be.

ITN are far worse. Government propaganda lackies, not journalists. Their staff should be thrown out of the UK journalists union.

As for Murdoch, hate to say it folks, but like all of us he is entitled to his opinion. Would you deny somebody operating an anti-war website of over-stepping the mark by making anti-war remarks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Looks like the Iraqis weren't impressed with Mr Murdochs comments..

http://www.digitalspy.net/article/ds10434.html

Another one:

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/021603/new_1331592.shtml
    "If their government (Iraq) wants to have fair coverage they need to have as many journalists as possible reporting back their side of the story," Stack said. "We're not going to give up until we have equal footing in our correspondents."

Made me laugh...

Advertisement