Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Student Centre

Options
  • 12-02-2003 6:07pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Today was very unusual - a band were playing in the student centre, don't ask me what their name was. I was shocked that Fungus Hourhihane actually allowed an entertaining event to take place within those four walls......

Basically i'm more than a little pissed off at how badly utilised the student centre is. We're all paying a lot of euros every year to fund the cost of building it - yet it's under-use is scandalous.

We've essentially got one of the best student centre facilities of any campus in ireland: but it seems that most of the stuff it's been blessed with is just going down the swanny:

The Shop - the tiny kiosk is just not good enough. If there was more stuff there it would be very convenient to grab something on the way home for those of us who use the Clonskeagh Gate.

Cafe Brava (or whatever the new name for it is..) - what a disaster! the foods only ok, and it certainly knows how to charge.

The Astra Hall - the mind boggles at the number of possibilities.
    However don't think anybody might ever use it.

Retail Space - look how much unused and/or badly used space that there is. Second hand CD shop, maybe move the barber from the sports centre, Post Office perhaps?

The Sound System - what seems to me to be a very expensive BOSE system seems to lie idle for most of the time.... why pay all that money for it and not broadcast some decent music through the place at lunch time?

The Sofas - good idea -more needed.
    The Grind - excellent food - probably the best on campus

Whoever the next SU people are, we've really got to make them give us value for money - also let's not forget that the college appointed centre management team are about as competent as Daffy Duck - the rot has got to stop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That time of year again??? (UCD Students Union elections)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭[Iramus]

yea i know what ya mean, but the grinds ok...needs more couches. ANYONE who can get more couches has my vote!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

amazingly enough i'm not posting for anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the grind is good but do you ever see the queue there at 1 oclock, i know it moves and all but jesus think about it would you ever get into a queue that long in town for a sandwich i think not. it just goes to shoe the poor quality of food on campus that people are willing to queue that long for a decent sandwich, while just next door mick donalds or what ever is fairly quiet. Also has anyone noticed how empty the main restaurant is these days mind you i can count on the fingers of one had the amount of times i have eaten there this year but i remember in first year the queue would be nearly out the door at 1, but now you can just stroll up as the food is still crap, goes to show there have been some improvements i suppose at least there is more choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Even when I was a student there, up till last year, I never used the place. Too far away and the facilities were crap. Added to that, the SU area is full of knobs.

The food in there's always been crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't think it really adds anything to the campus. The forum is about the best thing about it and even at that you can order 6 filling sand end up with a near empty roll.

nit picking aside, they could have bands and stuff playing there once a week (I'm sure there are enough up and comings on campus to fill the calander). The notice boards for societies should be moved there too. I mean apart from the seating and the forum, why go there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The sound in the atrium is apalling. Totally unsuitable for bands. The Astra Hall on the other hand.... Here's an idea, maybe they could use that once in a while!

Advertisement