Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread IDs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK weird stuff going on here, see attached.

vBB changed what I posted in the text from the long version (in the pic) to the short version (in the text above).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, the s=1dsgvfdg7fgf8fgf3g6jghb324b3n4vy3y4 is a timestamp, or a user/timestamp code thingie, which tells the PHP whereabouts in the thread to start you from. Of course, no-one else wants to start from the same point as you, so I assume it removes the s= option when you make a link out of it.

Of course this is a complete guess on my part, but sounds plausible. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yup.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Look at your User CP and edit your options

See the "Browse boards with cookies?" option?

Well...

If you set that to "yes", you won't see the "s=..." part of the URL. If you set it to "no", you will.

Why?

Well basically, sites like boards use what is called a 'session ID', to remember you by. (It's called a 'session ID' because it identifies your 'session' with the web server - a session being, essentially, your "visit" to the server from the servers point of view).

Now, this session ID can be transmitted in one of two ways (well, there are more, but for the purposes of this example, ... two ways) - either via a variable in the URL (the "s=..." bit that you see) or via data stored in a cookie on your computer (a small harmless text file).

So - if you set it in your options that you use cookies, it won't put the "s=" in the URL.

Hope that explains it clearly enough.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bard
    If you set that to "yes", you won't see the "s=..."
    It is always set, maybe there was a problem with that particular machine, it was logging me out a lot.

Advertisement