Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated Graphics

• 13-02-2003 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭

I was hoping for some info on what would be a good general setting for the resolution and detail for games in general on a PC I built for a friend.
    It is an Asus A7N266-VM with an integrated GeForce 2 core with 32Mb of shared DDR Ram.
    I was running a game last night to see how the integrated graphics performed.
    I set the resolution to 1024 * 768 and set the graphics to full detail.
    The game was Project IGI.
    The picture went blocky and broke up and I received a memory error .
    When I restarted the game i lowered the detail to 2/3 and the game worked fine.
    The computer runs the 3DMark 2001 demo nicely for a 1024*768 setting.
    Was I just expecting too much from the integrated graphics ?
    What would be a good general setting for the resolution and detail ?
    I was testing on a 17" TFT but my friend only has a 15" CRT.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Did you try any other games?

An onboard GF2 with shared memory isn't exactly brilliant in graphics terms right now. You'll probably need to drop the detail or res for quite a few games, especially newer ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

On a 15" really don't bother going past 800*600, the difference (which isn't much at all, is very hard to spot on a screen that size).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I will try Nightfire,Lord of the Rings ,Silent Hill 2 ( The 3 of which cost me 4 euro in total from a buddy in the Phillipines hee..hee),No One Lives Forever and Serious Sam later tonight.
    These are pretty new games so they should let me know what the chip can achieve.
    What is the standard Desktop resolution for a 15" monitor ?
    I am running the Ram at 200Mhz which is 66Mhz below its max speed so would this make much of a difference ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yes, the ram speed will make a difference, but the GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) is pretty duff, and thats what does the work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I have a 15" monitor and I find a big difference between 800x600 and 1024x768 when playing games.

1024x768 would probably be the best res on the Desktop too.

Dunno much about the RAM but... why are you running it below full speed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement