Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice - Game server specs

Options
  • 29-08-2001 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

wanting to setup a Game server in UL, for hosting games off.

but kinda interested in specs ... we're students so we'd like to try and get by with the minimum possible. it wouldn't be anything heavy. 3-5 servers mainly quake1/2/3 and a CS/TFC server.

I know memory is importanet looking at 128/256megs and HD is not a problem.

what about CPU speed? what do you think would be an ideal chip for what I need? think small can't afford to go out and get duals or pIV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

go for a Dual Celeron (if you can get those 300A's, that actually run @ 450) and bukets of RAM, like 512mb.

Top end CPU's not needed.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

well next question ... would have to be ...
    anybody know a computer warehouse with poor security?

we being poor students :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I've found that for a cs/tfc server you will need over 64 megs each - preferrably 128 megs for each. So there goes half your ram without approaching the machine hog that quake3 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Fortunately though ram is VERY cheap these days, so depending on our budget it shouldn't be an issue.

I guess it is about time we discussed this properly alright LK. Talk to you on IRC tonight if you are around

.dNC.OSiriS
    url="http://www.hatstand.cx"]HAT[/urlOSiriS
    http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Frag-Net.org

Thanks GB,

yeah well ram isn't what I'm really looking for ... we can probably get free some some company in the area anyway ... but the CPU.

trying to figure the ideal speed, they are more pricey than mem. somebody had mentioned they'd give a Celeron 300 biggrin.gif. it should be grand for just bog standard box, but just want to make sure.

I'll be on later OSi, talk to ya then.

[This message has been edited by Lord Khan (edited 30-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i remember we were talkin about doin that last year, unfortunately the guy organising it failed his exams n didn't come back...

but anyway he was geting a surver free!!! sponsered by sun, the only catch was that we had to run it on linux, n we had to convince the college to teach us unix, in that way they would potentially get employees!

worth lookin into if u'r in the student union. smile.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

hehehe sounds just like me :-)

3 repeats ...

well I'm persident of the UL games society ( thank you Sonic;-) ), considering asking Dell them being the major computer company in the area. but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Khan:
    well I'm persident of the UL games society </font>

Heh. GamesSoc - as in the same GamesSoc that does role-playing, organised LugCon for several years (is it still going) etc.

Sigh - the memories.

JoeV (Lexual from radox) used to be pres of said GameSoc once upon an age ago. Spent 4 happy years not learning because of that crew.

Anyway...

Games server....

If you're building one yourself, I would seriously consider running a dual-processor box under Linux, with an absolute minimum of 512MB of memory (I bought 512MB of DDR RAM for 80 quid yesterday. SDR would have been under 50 quid).

Alternately, if you can't get your hands on a cheap dual-Celery box, go for a big-ass AMD single-processor (their MP chips are overpriced IMHO). Intel chips are overpriced. WAY overpriced.

Build rather than buy a machine. Its cheaper, and if you have any geek friends, they may have spare kit (like case, kayboard, floppy drive, cd-rom, NIC, etc) all of which keeps the price down.

Look at component prices on Scan.co.uk/today

I'm living in Switzerland, and I can build a 1.4 GhZ AMD machine with 512MB DDR ram for under 600 quid Irish. Ordering components from England, you should be able to do the same.

And one last time, I would heartily suggest Linux over Windows for a game server. If you're gonna do that, you could also try tapping ILUG for sponsorship wink.gif I believe Dr. Kinsella (maths dept) is somewhat involved with them.

jc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bonkey:
    Heh. GamesSoc - as in the same GamesSoc that does role-playing, organised LugCon for several years (is it still going) etc.

Sigh - the memories.

JoeV (Lexual from radox) used to be pres of said GameSoc once upon an age ago. Spent 4 happy years not learning because of that crew.
    </font>

Nope Fragnet The Computer Games Soc in UL :-)
    GSoc are our biatchs :-)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Anyway...

Games server....

If you're building one yourself, I would seriously consider running a dual-processor box under Linux, with an absolute minimum of 512MB of memory (I bought 512MB of DDR RAM for 80 quid yesterday. SDR would have been under 50 quid).

Alternately, if you can't get your hands on a cheap dual-Celery box, go for a big-ass AMD single-processor (their MP chips are overpriced IMHO). Intel chips are overpriced. WAY overpriced.
    </font>
    might be beyond our price range :-)
    Build rather than buy a machine. Its cheaper, and if you have any geek friends, they may have spare kit (like case, kayboard, floppy drive, cd-rom, NIC, etc) all of which keeps the price down.
    </font>

we prefere to be call nerds :-)
    Look at component prices on Scan.co.uk/today

I'm living in Switzerland, and I can build a 1.4 GhZ AMD machine with 512MB DDR ram for under 600 quid Irish.</font>
    I'll give you the address to send that to
    And one last time, I would heartily suggest Linux over Windows for a game server. If you're gonna do that, you could also try tapping ILUG for sponsorship wink.gif I believe Dr. Kinsella (maths dept) is somewhat involved with them.
    jc</font>
    we were considering Windows really for pure ease of use, we know how to use linux, just figure window box would be slightly easier.

suppose that is worth a shot ... Know Kinsella he was the lecturer I had for maths and failed :-/

Advertisement