Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tekken 4

Options
  • 26-08-2001 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Well , unless you didn't notice, it actually came out in ireland there last week in the arcade , well barnes anyway.

Namco have changed much if not all of the play system due to whining little b1tch journo's and the like who didn't have the intelligence to see how vastly different tag was and probably never will.

But..... the game has actually turned out ok.
    The walls and stuff you can be knocked into can be dodged. The movement is a bit dodgy but all that 3d walking stuff only ends up getting your **** kicked which is a good thing.

At the moment the only new characters available (the other 9 characters are released over time in the arcade) are steve fox and craig murdock, they're ok.
    Well have a go of it by all means, it should shut ppl up about tekken not changing and for once the arcade port of the game doesn't like like cr4p compared to say the latest virtua fighter which usually whips it for gfx.

And for those with some thought of greatness in their mind , there will be a tekken tournament happening at the start of october with some of the best players from ireland, england and even some from europe and korea i'm told. So all you soul calibur button mashers can show your l33t a55 skillz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Tekken 1/2 were really lame if you had played Virtua Fighter.
    Tekken is just button bashing but Virtua needed real skill to execute the combos and i really liked the "button per limb" setting.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Errr , what is jesus' name are you talking about????
    Virtua fighter has far far too many variables to be skillful plus the fact that some of the moves are literally too hard to do while concentrating on actually fighting, akira's reversal for gods sake, 6 inputs in about 1/4 of a second, gimme a break i did it like 3 times ever in practice.

To say tekken is a button bashing game is just silly when you consider its still the only fighting game that has professional tournaments, NO other fighting game even has the fan base and skill level to play to that level. If you have any doubts, bring your "skillful" ass to barnes and i will beat it

who knows, i may be there.
    is it a "show up and drive" competition?
    where can i find out more info about it?

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

Someone will be posting about it nearer the time it will happen , and yes it will be open to anyone.

But im not joking, we are talking real headcase genius (probably hermit) tekken players here, you really won't have much of a chance unless you can really really play, but only to happy to let ppl try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    Tekken 1/2 were really lame if you had played Virtua Fighter.
    Tekken is just button bashing but Virtua needed real skill to execute the combos and i really liked the "button per limb" setting.

</font>

What the hell are you on? Tekken: 4 buttons, 4 limbs - I believe that equals one button per limb rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement

Tekken 1/2 dose'nt use the button per limb setting, Virtua Fighter pioneered this.
    although Tekken 3 on copied it from Virtua.

Not sure on 2, but Tekken 1 didnt use it in the arcades.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

I've not played Tekken 1, but I can assure you that Tekken 2 does use the one button per limb system.

ok.
    something learned.
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Tekken fools. I hate them. They think its better than the VF series. Pity Tekken ripped off every aspect of the series except for the amazing fighting engine.

And VF not having any championships? There have been many.

D00d, you have everything mixed up, VF uses P,G,K, that being , punch,guard,kick.

Tekken was the first to use the button setup for each limb and seeing as i've played each one from 1-4 and tag for a lnog long time i think i know what i'm talking about.

As far as tekken ripping off VF, hahahaha, they took a 3d aspect, if you can call that ripping off, VF then stole reversals, counter hits.

Tekken, 2 and above is so far different from VF its not even funny.
    And no , there are fup all vf championships anywhere, EC3 just finished in california last week for tekken , the european championships were held in rome this year and the world championships are in japan sometime nearer christmas.

VF championships..... non existant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    but I can assure you that Tekken 2 does use the one button per limb system.</font>

As does the first Tekken, but I only use the two limbs, it's more skillful that way wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "[amp] may have the respect of the plebs on the other boards" - WWman

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:
    As does the first Tekken, but I only use the two limbs, it's more skillful that way wink.gif
    </font>

Well lets face it, that flaming homosexual Hworang might as well have his arms amputated anyway because he never uses the fu<kers smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Teken sucks,virtual fighter was gr8,all 5 (1 of them is fighters megamix).
    Tekken plays slow and has very few moves,i can do ALL of kings moves,including his 12hit throw combo.I cant even do 1/2 the moves of ne of the virtual chercters by memory :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ooooh Tekken4...
    /me canna' wait!
    It's up there with Shenmue2 for my most awaited games.

As for tekken being slow...
    I think it makes combat that bit more calculated... you f**k up a move - you pay for it, you see an attack coming - you can counter it.
    Botton-bashing it's not.

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 27-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pugsley:
    Teken sucks,virtual fighter was gr8,all 5 (1 of them is fighters megamix).
    Tekken plays slow and has very few moves,i can do ALL of kings moves,including his 12hit throw combo.I cant even do 1/2 the moves of ne of the virtual chercters by memory :/
    </font>

I guess at a mere 2000+ moves Tekken 3/TTT just doesn't have enough moves rolleyes.gif As for the King 12hit throw combo, if you're talking about the Rolling Death Cradle I bloody well like to see you pull that off regularly from memory.

If you applied your incredible memory to the move lists from VF you'd be able to do them too - don't try and tell me there's more moves in VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They all ripped off Street Fighter though smile.gif

And that's still the best.

Rich dans les Dublin a Douze, c'est les poof de la grande. Magnifique.

Maiow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:

Well lets face it, that flaming homosexual Hworang might as well have his arms amputated anyway because he never uses the fu<kers smile.gif
    </font>

True. You fight like a schoolgirl!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "[amp] may have the respect of the plebs on the other boards" - WWman

Tekken (PAL) is slow , its not supposed to be , understand that. The game is meant to be very fast.
    Tekken 4 is out so you can stop waiting , hence the reason for this post.
    Anyone and i do mean anyone that wants to see how to play tekken , just amble on down to barnes off talbot street.

BTW , hwoarang's arms come into play in tekken 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I've played /allot/ of games, and in my honest opinion...

The Tekken series is the best fighting games of them all... They mix real fighting styles with slightly over exagerated action... So you can't compare it with the likes of a Fantasy Beat 'em Up... They're two totally different games.

-Dark-Angel-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Bleh, give me street fighter or give me death tongue.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement