Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands Best 11

• 13-02-2003 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

It was a good win last night
    But who are Irelands best 11 plus 5 subs now and future 11
    Agree or disagree with selection
    Given
    Carr
    O Shea
    Breen Finnan
    Duff
    Kinsella
    Holland Reid
    Keane
    Morrison

subs Kiely.Dunne,Doherty,
    Healy,McPhail
    U23 Team
    Kenny 21
    Jason Gavin 22
    O Shea 21
    O Brien 21
    Dunne 23
    Duff 23
    Barry Quinn 23
    Healy 22
    Reid 21
    Keane 22
    Morrison 23

Subs
    Murphy 21,
    Doherty 23
    Thornton 20
    Graham Barrett 21
    Andy Reid 20
    Thomas Butler 20
    mcPhail 23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ian Harte isn't a bad player. A poor man's Roberto Carlos, yes but shouldn't he be at least on the sub's bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Kilbane is a good squad player and should make the bench. I also agree that Harte should make the bench too.....

Now - I'm not saying these are quality players! Only that they are good squad members, and are worthy of a bench place.

I agree with your team for the best part, although I'd be cautious about the midfield centre pairing. Kinsella is a Villa reserve (this showed in his performance yesterday), and Holland only plays in the first division. The problem being, I don't see anyone better about to replace them :) maybe McPhail if he starts getting his game at Leeds, or Healy if he gets out of Celtic Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i agree ian harte has come on a lot over the last few months!!

Given
    Carr
    O Shea
    Dunne
    Harte
    Reid
    Kinsella - Healy
    Holland
    Duff
    Keane
    Morrison

Subs:
    A. Quinn
    Keily
    Breen
    Partridge
    Barrett
    McPhail
    Doherty

Connolly might be carryin the bags!!!(maybe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gatheringdust

given
    carr
    cunningham (due to experience)
    o'shea
    finnan
    kilbane
    holland
    kinsella
    duff
    morrisson
    keane

subs
    kiely
    healy
    reid
    dunne
    o brien
    connolly

ds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

given

carr breen/dunne o'shea finnan

reid/kelly holland kinsella duff

keane morrison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Our central midfield is taking on a patchy look Holland is the only one I really trust in there and he's in the nationwide. Anyways. This is presuming a 4-4-2 which may not be as certain as we may think.

GK: Given
    LB: G. Kelly
    CB: O'Shea
    CB: Cunningham
    RB: Carr

LM: Duff
    CM: Holland
    CM: Delap
    RM: Finnan

CF: Keane
    CF: Morrison

Subs (You're allowed 9 for internationals aren't you?): Kiely, Harte, McAteer, Dunne, Connolly, Doherty, McPhail, Carsley, O'Brien.

I'd love to play Reid on the right as well but I reckon we can only afford one out and out winger cos the central midfield just isn't beastly enough.

I went for Delap incentral midfield cos he's playing well in the Premiership and can also move almost anywhere else on the pitch which let's one be a bit economical with the subs.

Finnan is an amazing midfielder when given the chance I reckon he'd beast it up in right midfiled.

Personally though (this is getting a little long but this nightshift is boring and it's either this or have a shake),I'd play a Terry Venables style Christmas Tree thingy.
    4-3-2-1
    Given
    Carr O'Shea Cunningham Finnan
    ----Holland Delap McPhail
    Keane----Duff
    Morrison

With Keane and Duff having free roles and Holland and Delap giving McPhail space for the passes.

Probably suicide but it would work in Championship Manager. In fact it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Ian Harte isn't a bad player. A poor man's Roberto Carlos, yes but shouldn't he be at least on the sub's bench?

Yeah, on the bench at Carlisle. He is a bucket of lumpy p**s. The man couldn't defend himself in a food fight with a five year old.

Team:
    Given
    Carr, O'Shea, Cunningham, Finnan
    Reid, Holland, Kinsella, Duff
    Keane, Morrison

Subs:
    Kiely, Doherty (defender!), Healy, Kilbane, Connolly. (and if I can sneak a sixth in please, Dickie Dunne)

Gary Breen to be shot at dawn for crimes against humanity.

Here's hoping the likes of Graham Barratt, and that young fella at Sunderland whose name I can't remember now start to come good. Oh, and Ritchie Sadlier. Oh, and Ritchie Foran's been scoring a few, surely worth a look-out in an A team, with a fit-again Glen Crowe?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I wonder what Harte would be like on the wing instead of LB. Say if Duff was ever injured...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I've wondered that before because I wanted him in the team for his dead ball skills. Not really neccessary now though because Reid can hit a excellent free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

LB: Finnan

RM: Reid
    CM: Healy

Subs: Kiely, Doherty, G. Kelly, McPhail, Barrett

Others like Colgan, Harte, Dunne, O'Brien, Kinsella, Butler, and Connolly should make the squad for flexibility, experience and youth.
    Duff, Reid, Keane (the only Keano worth talking about) and Morrison will make a very exciting attack. I cant wait to see them in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Breen is too dodgy wouldn't let him near my team !

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Yeah, on the bench at Carlisle. He is a bucket of lumpy p**s. The man couldn't defend himself in a food fight with a five year old.

Ian Harte was good during the word cup qualifying campaign, had a bad world cup because he could deal with the climate change (he cramped BOTH legs in the first game), and against Scotland he had a solid game defensively and his dead ball was good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 the sublimed

Originally posted by da_deadman

LB: Finnan

RM: Reid
    CM: Healy

Subs: Kiely, Doherty, G. Kelly, McPhail, Barrett

Others like Colgan, Harte, Dunne, O'Brien, Kinsella, Butler, and Connolly should make the squad for flexibility, experience and youth.

shpot on - if only we had someone with a bit more bite instead of holland? people have been saying that carsley is playing well this season. macphail as well is there or there abouts.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by the sublimed
    shpot on - if only we had someone with a bit more bite instead of holland? people have been saying that carsley is playing well this season. macphail as well is there or there abouts.
    How about Delap in there. He's been playing well for Southampton this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Ian Harte was good during the word cup qualifying campaign, had a bad world cup because he could deal with the climate change (he cramped BOTH legs in the first game), and against Scotland he had a solid game defensively and his dead ball was good

And the explanation for his poor run of form with Leeds (since his first-team debut really)?

Face it, his positional play as a left back is woeful. Its been suggested here that he may do alright on the left side of midfield. If Duff is to continue as a striker, then thats worth a try...anything other than Kilbane. Was I alone in thinking "oh no, not again..." before he took the peno for Sunderland in the FA Cup? In fairness, the boy done good with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

and against Scotland he had a solid game defensively and his dead ball was good

That is BS. When Paul devlin came on and started running at him Harte was crap.

Advertisement