Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CandC Generals

Options
  • 13-02-2003 7:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hope to pick up a copy tomorrow,anyone else getting it?
    Ive read mostly excellent reviews,looking forward to playing online too only thing is i usually get my ass kicked on RTS games :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Yeah definatly getting this game, I heard good reviews as-well. Who you going to play with first? I might play with GLA first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Probably Chinese,not sure!
    Graphics,AI and unit balancing are supposed to be incredible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I ordered this on the net, can't wait for it to arrive, I love the C&C games!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I just finished the USA campaign... it was only 7 missions :confused:

I have to say i enjoyed RA2 more...

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I'd love to get this game. But tbh, i think it would kill my pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I too am thinking heavily about buying this game. I would love if more people gave their opinions on it having played it. What is it liek?!?!?!

Thanks
    Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Its an excellent game so far im on the 6th usa mission ,the planes and comanche's are brilliant, the first 4 usa missions are vv.easy tho.The explosions are really great also the graphics overall are very nice.definatly gonna buy it today.:D :D

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

theres only a total of 21 missions apparently so unless you plan to play it online, you'll probably find it a bit short.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

forget how many missions there is , whats the engine like ? does it play well ? is it enjoyable ? is it playable on lower machines and whats the multy play like ?:) love ra2 and am stuck for a game at mo so this cud be the anser !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

right has anyone played it yet?

I'm in London so I can't get a look at it until Tuesday. It was bought for DNC today but I haven't heard any feedback yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I got it (yay for me).
    Great fun, the super weapons are....... super, the general rank system is great (if you kill something you get a bit added to your general bar, when it fills up you get a new general ability, such as a new viechle/upgrade/weapon, for your 5th skill theres a choice of a super weapon type thing, very fun and very effective), you can build as many super weapons as you want aswell (I had 4 skud silo's earlier [fire a salvo of skuds each, totaly effect similar to a nuke] and wiped out an entire base without setting foot in it) however the silo's cost an insane amount each, you can get a good number of tanks for the same price.

The new mammoth tank (all CnC games have one) is given to the chinese, and cost a packet each, however even after buying the tank, you can put a turret on the top, there are 3 choices, battle bunker (fit 5 troops in it), radio tower (heals all nearby units slowly and increase's their RoF), or a Gatling Cannon (good at anti air and rips out troops), so you can get a good variaty even if you only have 5 of this one tank. Then for the americans their tanks can get probes, either a battle drone (heals tank and has a small gattling gun), or a scout drone (huge LoS). The GLA are pretty good aswell, their buildings will auto rebuild if their killed, when you destroy a building, you have to blow up the 'hole' it leavesm otherwise it will rebuild quite quick, makes them more or less immune to nukes, unless you have 2 of them.
    The flame tanks and toxic tracters are also insane amounts of fun, if theres a building with garrisoned troops inside, one hit and the flame tank will toast all guys inside, and you can order them to set down a 'wal of fire' which makes them spray fire is a huge wall infront of them, offers total protection from troops and does have decent damage to tanks, so their good to assist your defences.

The aerials units are what you expect, americans get 3 types of bomber, their all pretty simple, fly in, drop bombs, fly out, but the stealth bomber is invisable to defences until it drops its load, but they have p*ss poor armour and costs a bucket load (2 stealth bombers = 1 super weapon silo), the chinese just have a simple mig tho, and the GLA have no aeriel at all.

Not very many buildings however in it, only 14 or so per side, and building a base feels more like AoE than CnC.

The game is fun, and makes for soem great games at LAN parties (or on-line) with a few friends, against each other its the usual struggle for power. The AI is very good in it, on hard it truely is hard, on brutal its suicide 1v1, normal seems a bit easy tho (there is no easy mode), and on harder difficulties the computer adapts to your forces, so if you have alot of anti tank, he will send in troops, and if your all garrisoned in buildings he will send in flame tanks.

Ill give it a 93% so far, aint tried campaigns yet tho.

I got it today :)
    So far i love it,units are fantastic i especially love the US infantry that use the flashbangs you actually get to see the flashbangs.
    Only played first GLA mission,rest of the time testing AI in Skirmish mode .AI are great ,beatable on lowest skill settings and a real test after that.I had good fun with the suicide truck driver with his truck full of explosives driving into enemy bases :).
    Chinese Tank with a gattling gun is great to see in action with the barrels turning and ejecting brass.
    Overall graphics are superb and detailed with the water especially nice for an RTS game,runs smooth on my rig full detail at 1200x1074 res.I will try online tonight ,should be cool as theres an auto find option which finds people with similar rankings as yourself.

I reccomend it guys even if your not an RTS fan.

Sadly ive come across my first negatives :(
    AI pathfinding at times is poor guys,yep you heard me right,after posting in previous thread praising AI ive gotta let u guys know about this issue.
    Sometimes its fine then other times its very poor indeed :(
    Also im havinf trouble creating an account ,when i do create one and try to log in nothing happens,anyone else have this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

have to agree with that, it happens alot when dealing with more than 15 units at a time, I find the games quite a bit one sided towards the US, which is unfortunate. The other 2 sides are pretty good however once youve advanced them far enough along the tech tree(eg, gla's angry mob(with AK's) is absolutely lethal against all ground units)

The aerials units are what you expect, americans get 3 types of bomber, their all pretty simple, fly in, drop bombs, fly out, but the stealth bomber is invisable to defences until it drops its load, but they have p*ss poor armour and costs a bucket load (2 stealth bombers = 1 super weapon silo), the chinese just have a simple mig tho, and the GLA have no aeriel at all.

The aroura(?) fighter is a hell of alot stronger than the stealth bomber, the bomber either costs 1500 or 1600 per unit while the fighter costs 2500...well worth it too.

The mig is actually quite nasty after the napam upgrade, if hitting ground targets or structures your quite likely to cause a firestorm :)

I have to say tho there is nothing like firing 5 partical cannons at the same time...espeacialy if thier aimed at moving vehicals in an enemy base...they chase thier targets :)

fraid i cant help ya dcully as i havent gone near online play yet.

It just took me 12 hrs to finish the chinese missions on brutal ( hardest setting). Was easy enough till i got to last 3 missions. (2nd last wasnt too hard). The last missions musta taken me about 5hrs :p

Bloody brilliant :D

i never stuck stuff on top of my mammoths tho.. never saw the option!!!

Scud launchers and scud attacks were a pain in the ass on that last mission. Wont say ne more :p

gotta love the internet hackers who (surprisingly :p ) hack into the internet to get funds. gotta love their little computers and sat dishes :D
    (wtf are my walls tho!?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Got it today and its prety good but for some reason the us and chinesse missions work but the GLA dont every time I go to play the missions it goes black. My pc is well up to speed so I assume its a problem with the disc any other sujestions as to what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

whats AI pathfinding?

theres a unit called the pathfinders, i guess the AI for that aint up to scratch or sommet.

ive no idea derekd, soz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Pathfinding is more or less the ability for your units to go where instructed without having to do the annoying 'clicking past obstacles'. When pathfinding is bad, units tend to run into these obstacles.

Pathfinder is a sort of sniper unit,what i was talking about was AI pathfinding ie their navigating ability around the map.
    I got the multiplayer sorted out but went on to get my ass kicked lastnight to some american guy.

• Advertisement

havent seen my guys or any enemy units getting stuck at all.

thx for correction, will know for next time :)

Hi BKDZR ,please remember people ive only had it happen once to me.
    I read Shinji s review on Eurogamer and he says it happens a lot.

Ive played for 4 hours in skirmish mode today and it didnt happen at all :)
    Dont let this prevent people from getting it ,its still an amazing game ,i love it .

aha spotted a small mistake by them pesky AI :p

one of the missions u got bases on both side of some river, ne way, the ai try to run accross the river under water and gets stuck.

Saw a totaly of like 4 machine gun men get stuck that way.
    No chance vs my helo's :p

Ive now got a problem of my own i need help with.

Tried to go online today for 1st time, created account nps.
    logged into westwood, nps.
    However, when i try to enter 'custom game' i enter the lobby then get booted out straight away with a message, ' connection to generals has been lost' or sommet.

Any ideas before i try a re-install+update.

Yep its a known issue check out this site.Did you get new patch?Theres another one soon :)

http://www.renegadegenerals.com

thx dcully, you've just saved me the hastle of having to re-install the bloody game :)

apparently, with curret patch, unless u on windows XP it wont work or something.

Patch is ready :)
    Just Auto update and its all there :)

yer hehe just played my 1st game online :)

was a 2v2 but my partner dropped so ended 2v1. I finished one of them in like 5 mins, other guy i was beating till he took his experience into play. He'd built 5 particle cannons and a **** load of those drop zones before i even realised u could built more than 1 particle cannon. Killed a cpl of em but then he just started to rape me with his funds and cannons.

Learnt a lot, funny to fuel bomb ur own base to kill enemy troops tho :]

Having that many super weapons ruins it tho imo.

Ill give you a laugh :)
    Ive played 3 games so far online and lost the 3 of them and i mean i was destroyed.
    Kinda spoils it for me, same with Warcraft 3,i enjoy RTS games but am useless at them.My problem is theres too many games im into and cannot concentrate on just one.
    Its sort of like this ,Lets just say ive 4 hours for some gaming which is rare ,ill usually start with some online racing with GPL,Nascar 2002 or GTR 2002 mod for F1 2002,then probably play some Day of defeat,Battlefield,Medal of honour ,RTCW or counter-strike.
    Yeah Racing sims and first person shooters are my favourites so i regularly visit my favourite sites and forums for the above listed games,this takes up lots of time too.
    This all leaves little time for single player games and RTS,RPG titles.We are spoiled for choice guys :)Another reason my xbox is gathering dust !
    Jeez! sorry for the ramble guys i only meant to post about my 3 defeats in Generals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was really looking forward to this game, but I just read a bad review on Eurogamer, and I think its put me off....

http://www.eurogamer.net/content/r_cncgenerals_pc/

Best things about the C&C games were the great interface, the cheesy cutscenes, and Frank Klepackis music. Without any of those, its not really a C&C game.

Oh well..... (please convince me otherwise!) :)

- Dave.

• Advertisement

Ive read many great reviews ,Eurogamer is not a good one.
    go renegadegenerals [link above in my previous post] site for lotsa reviews.
    Heres a good one

http://www.loadedinc.com/

Advertisement