Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CandC Generals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Got it on Saturday and have been so busy I've only had a quick 5 min skirmish before I had to quit and It was bloody nice to say the least. Can't WAIT to get lans going in dNC with the lads.

Ry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

got it on friday paid 59 euro, and at the last level of the game...
    hmmm a tad short and easy missions.

-Snipers, they kill masses and never run into trouble.(too strong, since AI doesnt like too use the 'find hidden enemy troops')
    -GLA Gatling trucks: Upgrade the guns cheaply with scavenged parts. (GLA, weak but with good defence can last a looong time since every kill they make , earns them cash)
    -Repair drones from american forces as an decoy for enemy fire while you concentrate to blow up stuff. (kinda silly AI)
    -China, hmm slow to start.. powerfull at the end with the overlords and nuke cannons. Nice Mine laying options though.

Playing the game at 1024 x ? , high detail on a 1.1GHZ , 128MB GForce 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I bought it on friday for 34 yoyo's :D:D ,Im on the 6th usa mission and 6th china mission,the overloard's and nuke cannon are very sweet when used togeather,the usa planes are excellent aswell.must get started on the GLA today.

COMBATCOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ive read many great reviews ,Eurogamer is not a good one.

As in, it's a review which says the game isn't good, or it's not a good review?

Fascinated to hear your response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Wook: try the final china mission on brutal. Took me like 5 hrs.

US missions oin brutal were simple tho cos i love my commanches and para drops to kill the soldiers in the gla stinger sites. Once they dead the commanches come in to mop up :)

• Advertisement

One pathfinder can keep a GLA stinger site completely out of action indefinitely - which is an, er, "interesting" piece of game balancing....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

when was the last time shinji gave a good review to a PC game we wonder :)

Warcraft III - 9/10

Medieval: Total War - 9/10

Age of Mythology - 8/10

Arx Fatalis - 7/10 (With the caveat that if you're a fan of the genre, it's worth an 8 or a 9)

Can I consider my point proved.... or do we have to arm wrestle? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Any one else notice the rather cruel copy protection?

[I do actually own a legit copy of the game]

I recently formated and reinstalled Windows on my PC. I backed up C&C on a Network PC and copied it over, to save time reinstalling it.

Loaded up first Chinese mission I had saved, completed it, takes me Mission Ending Screen. The only options are "Save Reply", "Play Again?" and "Exit". There is no continue campaign button.

Perplexed I loaded up the first GLA mission from scratch. 1 Second into mission all your men explode and its straight to the game over screen. There is no way around it, they simply die.
    At this point I guessed it was being rather clever with regards to copy protection, despite the fact I had the legit CD in the drive, so I reinstalled and loaded up the same save game, no problem at all. Odd that they put so much effort into Anti Piracy tho isnt it?

In a side note, played the full Chinese Campaign on Brutal in 8hrs, finding the GLA one a bit harder (lack of decent tanks is a bit of a problem). Pity the USA one is apparently a walkthrough. :(

Matt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hello Shinji, Youll be glad to know i meant not good as in the reviewer [you] didnt give it a good score.Infact ive read about 15 reviews and yours was the harshest of the lot.
    The review itself like all your reviews was well written and informative.
    You say in an above post about the unbalancing of a pathfinder[sniper] keeping a GLA stinger site out of action, As far as i know a decent sniper can kill with a single shot from a high calibre rifle from greater distances than those depicted in Generals.In generals the pathfinders range seems only a couple of hundred feet, in real life even an average sniper could surely kill an unsuspecting target?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Is the Skirmish mode any good.

Missed the special offer from Smyth's.

Anyone know where there is a good deal.
    Game price 59.00 Euro

I buy all my games for longevity.
    Campaign is only average but multiplayer is incredible.
    Skirmish serves as a great multiplayer experience offline.
    May i add that the single AI problem ive had was in campaign mode not skirmish,so yeah skirmish is great fun and adds huge longevity to Generals.

As far as i know a decent sniper can kill with a single shot from a high calibre rifle from greater distances than those depicted in Generals

Yeah, but Generals doesn't even pretend to be a real-life type of game. Check out those tomahawk missiles (which fire like short range battlefield missiles and act NOTHING like real tomahawk cruise missiles), the use of SCUDs on the battlefield (SCUDs are ballistic missiles designed for delivery of warheads over thousands of miles), or the utterly ludicrous way in which a direct hit from a tank shell hardly scratches infantrymen...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

is it playable on lower machines

Min specs are 800mhz processer 34mb video ram with 128 mem. I've got an athlon 700 with 34 mb video and just under 400 megs ram and the to be honest it does crawl. For quick machines only :)

I totally agree but CandC games have always been about magic gameplay not realism,IMO Generals has this in bucketloads.
    Is it not fair to say that a supreme sniper who is well hidden would take out 3 to 4 guys easily especially since these guys cannot see him?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I was reading that review on Eurogamer about C&C Generals. Having never played the game I can clearly state the review is fundamently flawed and sucks piss through a straw. Its about time they got some reviewers who don't have some agenda and just get down to reviewing the bloody game. Read the comments, you'll see many people agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

"Any one else notice the rather cruel copy protection?"

backed up fine for me, played 1st u.s mission and a few skirmishes

seems o.k but possibley lacking something. running p3 850 512mb ram and a low end 32mb geforce 2mx. find the game is quite slow even on the fastest skirmish setting its a bit annoying. off topic anyone looking forward to splinter cell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Planning on getting it soon. anywhere you can get it cheaper the 60 Euros?

I have a question for you c&c heads i recently dug up my command and conquuer cd (the original one) and im running win 2k and it wont install i had q quick read of the suppost on the westwood page and that didn't really help so any home remedys or anyhting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Smyths have it for 54.99 with 10 % off if you have a loyalty card,huh i got it for 34 yoyos with a staff discount :D:D:D

COMBATCOW

Greenbean, you better watch it, THE PAIN TRAIN IS COMING WOMAN, WOO WOO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

bad computer AI : My pathfinder kills off a complete stinger site and keeps doing it untill my tanks arrive to destroy it, none of the enemy is remotely interested to kill my sniper.

Good AI: Sniper kills one of the three stinger dudes , enemy moves in, search and destroy mission. (this is not what is happening)

Bad AI: Flame tank kills off Infantry and keeps killing the burning little dancing guys and ignoring the still live ones.

Good AI: Flame tank switches to what is left alive and ends it.
    (this is not what is happening)

Bad AI: Tank move into place and guard a spot, they are being shoot upon by a long range missile launcher, they do not want to make any move to defend themselves and go for the bugger.

Good AI: My Tank rushes in , destroys, returns to guard duty.
    (this is not what is happening)

Bad AI: Infantry has a deathwish, They do not want to avoid being overrun by enemy Tanks, rather they stand and shoot their feeble bullets (i know 'X' is the scatter button)

Good AI: Infantry realizes danger of the TANK and tries to jump away while shooting more vurnable targets. (this is not what is happening)

BAD AI: enemy rushes into my gatling cannon with infantry and keeps doing it untill they run out of cash. My cannon has a longer range then their feeble guns. They do not send other troops unless they are allready designated for this direction.

Good AI: Enemy infantry gets killed off by Gatling, enemy send out long'er' range eq to help the little buggers.

Etc Etc Etc....

Small note: I did enjoy the game, but way too short for 59 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

good points wook.

They didnt put much effort into singleplayer and much to upgrade the ai now that uve pointed out the problems to me. Also no mission breifings etc(like in ts and previous ones with a fmv).

The game imo was mainly designed for online play where AI is kinda obselete and where mission briefings aint needed. This is a shame imo cos i used to love the briefings etc in C&C. Really brought me into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

7.5 / 10 In my opinion. The average seems to be about 8/10 on the net / magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This is one game I will be avoiding. The overall buzz I have gotten from the many reviews and comments from the beta testers have been that this would just be a total waste of 60 notes.

This just stinks of EA games up to there usual tricks. Rush a crappy game out under a popular brand name to get as much cash as possable. Hell if this game was released under a different name it would be slated left right and centre.

The gfk are not up to the level that it should be lagging on the many high spec systems who's owners have been complaining about. The lack of mission's and crappy AI is just a joke. The lack of a story and FMV sequence's make this game nothing to do with the C&C universe.

Hopefully Blizzard (who havent made 1 crap game yet) will not look at this peice of ****e as the future of RTS games and go and release a knocked up load of crap under the WC or SC logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

does anyone know why the game is so demanding on your system it doesn't look that graphically impressive? though it does look nicer then ra2. anyone have any ideas as to making it run faster?

cheers

data

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Venom
    This is one game I will be avoiding. The overall buzz I have gotten from the many reviews and comments from the beta testers have been that this would just be a total waste of 60 notes.
    From the sound of this you havent even played the game and your spouting sh*te from your ars* without even playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I might pick this up on budget in a while, but I will not, on principle, pay €59 for a PC game. I already shelled out enough for the hardware, I do not need to be fleeced for a licence fee due to nVidia selling it's cards below cost to recoup it onthe software.....

It's about time people voiced this with retailers and publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lannage.

DnC better have my seat-groove ready! :D

-DA-

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hrm. Glancing at all the reviews above, I think I can smell an expansion back coming out soon. C&C really is a money machine, so it wouldn't surprise me, nor offend me, in the slightest. And by expansion back I mean 'Wow! New 100+ Added missions! And More AI!' etc., etc.

Still - I won't be buying this game cuz of my ****ass computer, but I will be playing it lans. Sounds great. :)

-DA-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I might pick this up on budget in a while, but I will not, on principle, pay €59 for a PC game. I already shelled out enough for the hardware, I do not need to be fleeced for a licence fee due to nVidia selling it's cards below cost to recoup it onthe software.....

It's about time people voiced this with retailers and publishers.

What are you talking about?

If you availed of the offer in Smyths, the game is €45. And what have nVidia to do with a game?

Matt

Advertisement