Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films and Games

Options
  • 18-08-2001 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

YEss the two young medias of todays world. While gaming being the younger i think the two have alot to get from each other.

Firstly i'm not saying games should be like films NOoooooo that coul make games boring wha i do think is that some concepts in film should be implied to concepts in games.

Of course we see alot of mixing with charcters and camera angles but u gotta admit the true movie game are rare (Deus ex and MGS are only 2 which pull it off that i can think off) I mean one thing i have always hated about films and games are the "mooks" the countless bad guys who look the same and have no sense in how to fight...

Of course, games might not be as much fun with only 10 bad guys in it. But i think different. Theres a upcoming game based on Die hard 1. And i think instead of a level by level mission by mission kill countless terriost affair if they had 15 terrorists and set up the situations to use style and combat of a different sort.

example- Your character is unarmed and is being hunted by one terrorist cue a film like scene where u gotta kileld this armed villian (who is not a idiot) using your cunning and household appliances. Of course you should not be restricted. I think this would be cool. Because the most replayable moments in some of MGS finer moments are the bosses. And i think instead of 1 BIG BAD overgrown super one make 15 varied baddies with skills and u gotta complete your goal while either avoiding thme or dispatching them, they aint mooks so they are same streength as u. U just gotta prove smarter.

Thats where some films i.e the ROck, original could really give good ideas to game.

So i aint gonna do all the talking how do u see films and games helping each other??

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

great idea and all.But that much AI would take up alot of memory so the game itself would have 2 b simple.But it would play better,and would remove the button bashing element of many FPSs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

The truth is most film lisences suck major ass avp,die hard trilogy,maby alien resurection and thats all i can think of at the mo but nacatomi plaza looks good but the lithtech engine chugs on most sytems.Nolf avp2 and many future games look to be using it aswell but there is no doubt that games are getting more cinimatic with professonaly written storys that recent psone game had it its name esapes me but it wasnt very good at all.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

i dunno the films about games are prty ****e
    mortal kombat,street fighter,tomb radier,mario are all examples
    but sum games based on films are class
    like blade runner
    is ther any more???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pugsley:
    great idea and all.But that much AI would take up alot of memory so the game itself would have 2 b simple.</font>

Ram or otherwise? If otherwise, DVD's are underused imho.

Star wars games are often good, and there's like hundreds of them.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i think that there are some games out there that would make decent movies (MGS, driver, RE). i like blast the h£ll out of em games but i would really love an action game that required alot of thought. MGS comes to mind as the closest to that. when you start off the baddies are reasonably tuff but after a while you can pretty much call what they'll do next and at that point things get a little dull. MGS 2 looks to have that bit extra depth in the mundane baddies but i wont comment on that until i play.

pugsley said all that AI would suck up memory and i agree. but new hardware should be able to cope with it.

game designers should work with hardware companies and develop hardware for games, not games for hardware. they can then say that this is the cutting edge of games tech rather than saying oh heres a cool new machine... by the way the games will be out soon. MGS designer(cant think of his name(dont hurt me)) said that MGS 2 is designed to take full advantage of the PS2s processing, memory and graphics capabilties... he is thus limited to what a PS2 can do. while that maybe impressive it is stil limiting to a game designer. rather than having Mr. MGS/2 designer work on what the console can do, sony could have him design software that the PS2 could not possible run and then create a piece of hardware to accommodate the software

just my 2p

j

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

if they did that they would have to make a new piece of hardware for every new game, cant really see how it would work...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

not for every new game. just do two or three that push it to the limit and then release the console. this would give us our yah yahs and allow games companies to produce the sw which fits the machine! not all games use the full capabilties of their respective hw. xmpl the PS2 has yet to realise its full potential because sony produced a machine that looked good on the outside AND on paper but thats performance for performances sake. i dont want to go off and buy a car that can do 250mph on a long stretch of road if i live in a 30mph zone because in a few years we will have our own auto ban. or even somebody buying a 1.8Ghz, 1.5GRAM, 60GHDD, 64mb GeForce 2 3D... blah! blah! blah! PC and use it for word processing and solitaire. i firmly believe that a picec of hardware has to be used to good effect, be it a console, a pc or a toaster.

im sure there a folk out there who disagree with me, ye wouldnt be the first. i just dont like seeing an article on a game thats coming out 6-12 months after the hw release that tells me that this sw will use my hw the way it was meant to be used.

it seems like we are being ripped off.

not enough sleep last night

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

drunken lep....
    Not in RAM,u can only put on 800mg of data on a standard CD,and with top AAI u would need 2 put assid alot of that data into the AI,leaving less space 4 the game itself....
    It would also create more slow down,cos ure comp is running the AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

Blitz, what about counterstrike? that sounds like what your getting at ..
    Enemies of the same skill , balanced weapons health .. you only fight a maximum of 8
    (and you get teammates) and its your intelligence / skillz / ping frown.gif that gets you victory..

Some of the new PC games are very cinematic eg. Duke Nukem Forever
    i was like "wow! you get to kick down doors and block bullets with a Riot shield and use an M16-wit-the US-flag-wrapped-round-it and Aliens and helicopters and motorbikes and Stuff!"
    heh. wink.gif

The Rock would make an awesome game , because it has a brilliant soundtrack, Navy Seals , and a car chase through the streets of San Fransico biggrin.gif

o conner..u seem 2 have missed the point...
    in counter strike u are fighting PEOPLE AI is artifial intelligence..
    so rather than having to make up the movements in CS it just has 2 copy the info givin 2 ure computer off the server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Yeah....sure you can play CS...but you wouldnt get a movie atmosphere from cs, i get more of a tournament feeling (dont know why) anyway the idea with havign 15 hard badies is to create tense movie like scenes were your at a disadvantage (no guns or shoes or something) and you gotta use your head. In Cs everyone is equal except in ping. So i wanna game with the tense movie feel.

to prove: play cs, the n watch die hard and you'll notice the differance

The rock is a excellent ppint for the idea, you've got X amount of marines, X amount of hostages X amount of gas missiles and a whole island to explore with marines hunting you and time limits trying to stop hostage killing or missile firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aliens on the C64 (The British version, the US was pants). The single best movie/game tie in of all time.

Pugsley....650mb on a std cd, but that wouldn't limit the AI structure. I don't see a deceloper coming up with an amazing system and then dropping it because they don't want to spend a few pence on another CD... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pugsley:
    o conner..u seem 2 have missed the point...
    in counter strike u are fighting PEOPLE AI is artifial intelligence..
    </font>

No ... AI is a Irish counterstrike clan redface.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

AI is both artificial Inteligence and an Irish CS clan! either is exceptable!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

Advertisement