Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accepting credit cards

Options
  • 13-02-2003 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I'm doing two websites at the moment that must accept credit cards online. One is for a pub in america that sells t-shirts and stuff, so it won't be selling a lot I'd say. I read another thread that mentioned www.2checkout.com - this looks like a good option, although 5.5% seems high to me, it looks better than PayPal. Has anyone used this or is there a better alternative?

The second site is an Irish company, and I know that Paypal hasn't got going here yet, so I would rule that out. Similarly, 2checkout is optimised for Americans... Is there a European or Irish equivalent?

Also, my web hosting allows SSL.. I know very little about this, but would this make things easier for me in accepting credit cards? (would I need to use a 3rd party like 2checkout at all?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

2Checkout and most of the others bill in dollars only. Paysystems.com does allow biling in Euros.

As far as the technical side is concerned, if you use a 3rd party processor, such as paysystems, you won't need SSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Illkillya
    I know that Paypal hasn't got going here yet, so I would rule that out.

Eh? Yes it has...

PayPal available in Euros and Sterling.

International sign up for PayPal for those outside the U.S.

Also, have a look here for International withdrawals information (you'll probably have to have a US or UK bank account to withdraw the money to) - and see here for more relevant advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

www.realex.com

Irish and simple to use.

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    www.realex.com

Irish and simple to use.
    Wrong URL Steve! It should be the .ie

Don't you need a merchant account to use them??

Oops! Sorry about that, yes, you need an Irish Merchant account to use realex services/.

• Advertisement

Which is a pain if you don't have a reasonable turnover :-(

But ideal for companies that already have a merchant account or expect/do from as little as 100 transactions per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Illkillya, you could get an internet merchant account with WorldPay. Cloch are an Irish reseller for them - http://worldpay.cloch.com/ . You're looking at €375 set up for the first year, and €200 per annum thereafter. There is a 4.5% commission on each transaction too. WorldPay will handle the payment process, so you won't need to worry about SSL etc.

That is expensive. A merchant account with an Irish bank is free and will cost you from 2.25% per transaction (plus let you handle Laser)/.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

I think you can get a reduced % rate with WorldPay if you already have a Bank Merchant Account. What you are paying for really is the online real-time secure credit processing facility, plus the fee of actually transferring credit.

It depends on your sales figures really. You could start out with WorldPay for the first 12 months, and see how it goes. There is a point when it would be cheaper to get a merchant account from a bank (with a lower % rate), and set up a gateway with RealEx. I can't remember exactly, but you're looking at €200-400 setup and at least €50 p.m. If you only plan to sell 10 t-shirts a year, it might be better to use paypal!

It all depends on your situation. HTH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're thinking of usign Worldpay, don't bother signing up via a reseller.

They often give discounts of upto 50% of the setup/joining fees if you go to them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by peterd
    Illkillya, you could get an internet merchant account with WorldPay.

World pay are a great billing provider, I have an account with them 3 years now which I use for any contact work I do. I dont use them at the moment for any hosting I provide but plan to in the very near future.
    The only problem with worldpay is they look for a lot of stuff on signup company reg number, business letter and company bank account. Well they did when i first signed up 3 years ago any how.
    They have lots of different plans and solutions. If you plan to be in it for the long run look around their site. If you want a quick fix 2checkout who I use for my american run firms at the moment are just as good as any other.

Best Regards

Advertisement