Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British citizens told to leave Jordan (my source tells me)

Options
  • 13-02-2003 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have learned in the last few minutes that all British citizens have been told to leave Jordan. I have a friend living in Amman and she has been told to leave the country within the next week - as of the 12 February.

This has not appeared on any news sites or channels - I read most of them. Nor does it appear on the Foreign Ofiice's site, or the British Embassy's website from Jordan.

Just to say it again, according to my information - all British citizens and families asked to leave Jordan.

I will attempt to gain more details in the next few hours - her email said that the terrorist threat has become too much - and that the 'military' presence has increased dramatically - I believe that refers to Jordanian troops though I am uncertain about that.

I could speculate that it also about the impending invasion - which is likely to happen next week. But that's just speculation.

The US has issued an advisory and a series of travel warnings on February 7 alerting Americans 'to increased security concerns' in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza.

Interesting if it as serious a warning as I suspect it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Do you have anything a little less lacking? (not that we don't trust you :) )

Who issued the message? Can you post the message? For all we know it could just be a spam mail to induce fear, or your friends company policy rather then something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GavinS

I appreciate your scepticism Hobbes - I am the very same.

Sorry to be so lacking in information, if, or should I say when, I get more I will let you know.

My better half is cabin crew, and based in Dubai. Her friend Toni, who I met in Dubai last year, recently moved to Jordan to work for Jordanian airlines.

Her email simply said that they have been advised to leave the country - and so too her job.

For now it is not 100% reliable - more like 80% - but I hope to make it so as soon as I can.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GavinS

The mail can be quoted as follows:

">I hope all is ok. So sorry Ive not been in touch for a while. Well
    >I am heading back to England indefinatly on the 21st Feb because of
    >the war issues. All families are being moved out.

Over here there are a lot of
    >fanatics which is what they are worried of. The place is swarming
    >with military"

For now that's all I have - Just thought I would let you all know anyway.

Advertisement