Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition Tools

• 13-02-2003 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest any good (Free,Cheap) tools for managing partitions?

I have searched tucows and download.com for ages but they are mostly trails or win 3.1,95. I 'm using Win XP and am interesed in installing linux.

On another note can linux and XP share they same Swap file partition?

And again on another note what does "XP" mean all the new genaration software seems to have XP in it i don't think it's a roanam number or anything.:confused::D
    Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Kappar
    Can anyone suggest any good (Free,Cheap) tools for managing partitions?
    parted
    On another note can linux and XP share they same Swap file partition?
    Possible but usually more effort than it's worth. Basically you make a partition specially for the task and create a fixed size XP swap file in it. Then you boot Linux, make a copy of that partition with dd and gzip (it should be a really small file). In your Linux init scripts you set up some commands such that it does an mkswap on the partition when booting Linux and dd's the XP swap partition image back to the drive when it's shutting down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I've found Boot It is very good for partitioning.
    Just download, unzip it to a floppy, and boot.
    You'll be able to resize etc. as much as you want.
    I've also used it with XP with no problems at all.

Get it at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

It's a 30 day unlimited trial, but only $30 or something after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

interesting ...by xp you mean ntfs, or was it an xp system w/ fat , i've been tearing my hair out for months trying to dual boot xp/linux and resizing xp(ntfs)

i'm not willing to pay $30 though

hrmmm ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Yeah, the XP FS was NTFS.

The 30 day trial is full; it's not like your partitions will quit on you after 30 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Another option that you may not have considered...

Virtual machines with either VMware or Virtual PC. I'm using VMware myself running a linux system as a guest os to My WinXP Host. It's running perfectly for me so far, and I cant see any future problems..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

...interesting ...
    though it seems like a bit of a dirty hack
    will investigate

hrmmm ... don't wanna pay for them either ...i don't do commercial software :)

it's all just me running away from dicking around with the mbr and grub and whatnot, gotta go in there sometime
    or something

& redhat doesn't really support this chipset :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

The thing about running a Vmware Host, is the client uses the hosts drivers, and emulates (dunnno if legacy is the right word) earlier tachnologies.

For example, I'm using a USB mouse, and my vmware machine wont pick it up as USB, however it does pick it up as PS2, if you get my drift.

So once something is working and configured on the host OS then it would be fine on the guest.

As for sources, you can get a trial version (about 15 meg) which is actually the full ver minus a cd key, from the vmware site. And I'm sure you could find a source for a CD key somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

"XP" is meant to be experience .

but more appropriate would be "xtra profit" or "xtra pissingabout":D

Advertisement