Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like to see Boards.ie become?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

One area of concern for me, in the longterm direction of boards is how do we prevent it being reduced to the lowest common denominator as it grows?

Dont get me wrong boards bandwidth is broad enough to accomodate infinate "what colour panties are you currently wearing" type discussions,where i do have a problem is where offtopic flavour of the month spamming starts intruding on serious topics.
    of course what constitutes a serious topic and where and when to insert an appropriately subversive cohen brothers quote could probally fill a volume or two on Nettiquette.

I think the recent changes to the Admin board and the implimentation of [article] tags on the society boards are both excellent ideas that should help reduce alot of the outright spammage that has plagued both boards whilst not overly increasing the workload of either admin or mod.

Personally for me Boards is the place i come to try out all the big words i have picked up but wouldnt have the confidence to use in public conversation,a bit like a transvestites club for the inarticulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

http://www.boards.ie.gov

Its been suggested before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by *******
    You mentioned streaming video ealier DeV - how about boards radio? I know you mentioned it before it IRC a couple of times over the year. Wouldn't take that much to set up a shoutcast server and I'm sure you would get **** loads of support and help from people.

Might even be fun.

BTW I demand 2 one hour prime time slots every week, after the watershed of course :)

Best idea on the thread so far.

The great thing about radio is that content is extemely cheap and easy to provide. The oppurtunity for community based stuff is broad also.

It would also be a great launching pad for gaming shoutcasts and community talk shows.

10 thumbs up (and an extra two thumbs up for "Straight Talkin' With Bubbles" )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Please note that Dustaz's comments on being the best idea so far also included the acknowledgement of me getting the 2 slots a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

imagine that, a live web talk show, hosted by bubbes with weekly guesses. sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Jesus I can just about imagine it...

"Hi you're through to 'Straight Talkin' wif Bibbles'! What's your point please?"

:D

/me gives that one a : icon14.gificon14.gif

(Name changed to protect the innocent/guilty)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by Hobart
    Oh! on the SMS thing. Not a runner, unless you can cross sponser with Eircom/Esat or Meteor.

Originally posted by Bard
    You'd be surprised what a company would provide you in exchange for advertising on one of Ireland's highest hit web sites...

Would be willing to talk to you about this dev (not the advertising bit.. I'm not Agha Khan*).

*probably spelt wrong but i don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i would like to see two things happen.

i would like to see a consolidation of 'boards.ie' and for it to become 'less spread' and disorganised (or appearing to be....)

and secondly,

i would like to see a second site formed where the prols from boards have more of an input. a sister site (not a buliltan board, no point in having two of those) but a board where people can show of art work etc and its a lot less sensible, a bit more anarchichal.
    like a boards beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

On the SMS thing, If you think it's a runner, I would be willing to give my time on the product design. However unless you have a hook-up with one of the telco's you won't get far. You could piggy back on ICQ or there is a South African telco called MTN who are pretty open to the idea of sharing resources, have no idea what they would want in return but they are a portal so who knows? Technically you could setup a basic store and forward solution on Linux but you would need an IP/SS7 link into an STP somewhere and an STP is not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

i would like to see a second site formed where the prols from boards have more of an input. a sister site (not a buliltan board, no point in having two of those) but a board where people can show of art work etc and its a lot less sensible, a bit more anarchichal.

a place where we can upload some pictures would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I volunteer my unique blend of Adult Oriented Soft Rock and Old School Vibes for BoardsFM btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As bibbles' real name is censored on the boards, would you have a "bleep machine" on Boards FM for every time someone tries to say it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

or there is a South African telco called MTN
    Spam merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Victor
    Spam merchants.
    Very constuctive Victor. Keep up the good ol' work.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

P45 and Online.ie are commercial entities - they did not grow organicly, and (this is a presumption but i think that it's valid), their owners don't really care about their members or a board's contents.

each board is given time to grow here - boards are not created until there is a clamour for them or they have to be created to aleviate traffic on an existing overcrowded board. For me anyway, this slow growth is what has given boards its stregnth.
    that and pictures of buffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Very constuctive Victor. Keep up the good ol' work.
    No, sorry, they are commercial spammers, they take your e-mail address and give it to people who spam you, l o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o ts.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by *******
    You mentioned streaming video ealier DeV - how about boards radio? I know you mentioned it before it IRC a couple of times over the year. Wouldn't take that much to set up a shoutcast server and I'm sure you would get **** loads of support and help from people.

Might even be fun.

Yes, we have played about with this before and indeed we installed Shoutcast on the old server last night.

Now we need to be careful about the cost of broadcasting rights. We cant play copywritten music or we have to have a license but we are looking into some kinda community radio along the lines of Public Access TV in the states...

BTW I demand 2 one hour prime time slots every week, after the watershed of course :)

The Father Dwane hour?

DeV.

Advertisement