Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ive tried everything

• 14-02-2003 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey all :confused:

Right, this is my story...I'm a 27year old Dublin lad....finished college with a degree last may in business studies..but the problem is I havent worked since then. Ive had interviews everywhere..the top banks, the top insurance companies, small companies..but always came back to square one when talking to the interviewer....I havent had any proper experience in my chosen field.

Any advice??

ds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres a good book called "what colour is your parachute" you might find useful. Its actually aimed at people changing jobs/careers, but it has some good ideas and techniques on how to get the job you want etc. The Job market is a bit slow however. Perhaps you aiming to high? Its easier to get a better job from another one, than to get a job when you don't have one. even do some voluntary work to get experience etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Just a thought,

LIE

Get a friend of yours (or a friend of a friend) to say that you have worked for him for 6 months.

Recently, a friend of mine who was working a taxi driver got a job as a recruitment consultant, as his CV stated that he worked for me as a web designer for 12 months. I got a phone call one day asking about him and i simply said that i would miis him badly but that i underestood that he wanted to move on.

Honesty (Especially having just finished college) will get you absolutely nowhere.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

He has a point. Incidentally if you got some experience even on voluntary/charity projects, its all good. Even something like a trainee manager for McDonalds is a fantastic way of getting experience if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Yeah you really need to build your jobs on top of each other to get what you want especially when you've just left college.

Get a job in a shop or something while you're looking if you can don't make it a newsagents something like a mobile phone shop or a dixons/pc world esque place. Then after a couple of months move on to some kind of officey type work admin/accounts/teletorture summat anyway.

You're then an awful lot more hireable they see you as making a progression and stuff as well as having experience of working in an office enviroment whihc is awful important if you heading the banking insurance way.

As has been said getting lieing or get building a CV it's unlikely you'll get a job you want purely on the basis of your qualifications however good they might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

go for jobs that will get you the experience.

yore not going to be richard branson overnight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement