Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last House On The Left

• 14-02-2003 3:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Did anyone ever see this? Directed by Wes Craven afaik...
    Doesnt seem to be widely available, although I havent checked at all tbh. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I got it on R1 DVD from amazon.com a while ago (Play don't stock it, and haven't answered any of my three e-mails asking them why they won't stock it - go figure).
    It's not all that great, to be honest. It really does stink of amateur filmmaking, and generally feels a lot like, say, Driller Killer. I guess it was pretty shocking for its time, but now it's only interesting if you want to see the beginning of an incredibly overrated filmmaker. Apart from the appearance of one of cinema's most interesting, one-sided characters, Krug Stillo, it's probably not worth the effort of hunting down.

Now, 'The Hills Have Eyes'... that's another kettle of fish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RobbieCarroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

There's a 3 disc uncut edition getting released soon.

I personally love it. It's one of those movies I hunted down when I was younger as I had heard so much about it. It's very gritty but don't expect a gore fest..there is some but no much. It's very brutal though. David Hess is one of the best bad guys ever in this as Krug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I certainly wouldn't call Wes Craven an overrated filmmaker. He has consistently made great horror movies over the past 30 years. A Nightmare on Elm Street, Shocker, New Nightmare, Scream, The Hills Have Eyes etc...great horror movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yes I would say his rating is just about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

pretty rubbish film regardless of its time. Funny when the parents find the daughter near the end and say something like theres nothing we can do, she's dead, when shes still clearly breathing and moving. A better film, similar in a way, '74, american (well canadian) sorta college film is black christmas which is good.

I see a remake is in the offing.Perhaps it will be an improvment given that the first film is so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I doubt it. The trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl2lmFPBGN8 doesnt do much to sway me. It was best left in its time. That whole thing....our car broke down, oh you can use our guest house....doenst really work now. The original was more of a comic horror, that gave it at least some entertainment value, the cat girl etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I see a remake is in the offing.Perhaps it will be an improvment given that the first film is so bad.

You not a fan??
    I thought the original was frickin awesome.I got the new 3 disc uncut set recently enough with the alternate cut in it - Krug and Company.Thats pretty crappy but the original cut is one of the best exploitation movies ever made IMO.
    As for the remake,it will suck.

Well I havent seen the orignal, i was just going on what people had said in this thread and it wasent positive. Perhaps I should look into this one.

• Advertisement

LHOTL is a movie every horror fan should watch.Alot of people that would have seen it up until it got released uncut would have seen the edited version of it.There was something in the region of 8 minutes cut from that.8 minutes out of a 80 minute long movieis a hell of alot.
    The print of the movie,by todays standards is very poor but the film was released in 72(I think)but it typifies what an exploitation movie is.
    There are some comedic moments in it that kinda take away from the tone of the whole movie but overall it is an excellent little horror IMO.David Hess's performance as Krug is outstanding and I feel he is every bit as chilling as Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men.
    Its well worth tracking down,for curiosities sake if nothing else.The 3 disc set is available on cd wow for around 24 beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Last House to me is definitely a film of it's time, I wouldn't say it holds up today at all but when it was made it changed so many things. It's definitely a film that had to be made to open the floodgates so to speak but I wouldn't call it a classic becuase of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

The remake could have been a lot worse, I enjoyed it.

Has anyone ever seen I spit on your grave? Now that's a tough movie to sit through.

Im constantly puzzled by the love for ISOYG.

Ive watched it twice and on both occasions was bored to frickin tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Im constantly puzzled by the love for ISOYG.

Ive watched it twice and on both occasions was bored to frickin tears.

I'm a fan of it but on the other hand it's the only horror film I would gladly say, NEEDS a remake. It does not age well...

It definitly didnt,Camille Keaton was a little cutie though.

Advertisement