Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 on laptop not seeing all computers in workgroup

• 14-02-2003 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭

i have a windows 2000 laptop which is connected to a network and is not seeing all computers in the only workgroup.

it will only see some and there is no reason why it should see the rest as every other computer on the network and in the workgroup sees them.

It was using windows XP and it had the same problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Right when you say not seeing, ,to me that means, you cant see them in the network neighbourhood (right it has a new name), but i assume you can ping them, and share resources etc.

Or did you mean you cant ping em, use there printers, access shared drives etc.?

Also whats the physical layout .. can you see machines on the same hub, but not ones on other hubs, etc .
    If you look there might be a pattern to it.

<edited for poxy spellling>

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Are the ones it's not seeing all win9* and ME boxes?

If so install NetBEUI protocol from your XP CD.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

not seeing as i can ping but actually see the icons in my network places and computers near me.

Any computer which the laptop sees can share stuff with it.

Its all windows 2000 and hubs dont seem to have much difference and it can see some computers on one hub and not others.

netbui is installed.

Originally posted by irishgeo

netbui is installed.

And file and printer sharing installed on all pcs?

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i dont know i think so. i am only on work experience and i would to be able to solve the problem. must go and fix another be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Like Logic said if you added Netbeui, it will probably help as it's built for browsing.

If you want to use tcpip, you need to resolve IP addresses for browsing. WINS would do it but for a small workgroup, maybe just use a LMhosts file with the machine names and their IP addresses in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Loggers, i got rid of NetBEUI on my lappy, i just ran a network setup and it worked fine.

It could be something as simple as all the machines not being in 'workgroup' maybe they are in 'mshome' or 'msoffice'.

??

reD.

Originally posted by red_ice
    Loggers, i got rid of NetBEUI on my lappy, i just ran a network setup and it worked fine.

It could be something as simple as all the machines not being in 'workgroup' maybe they are in 'mshome' or 'msoffice'.

??

reD.

Well seeing as they're all 2k and XP netbeui ahouldn't be a problem the only other thing would be if file and printer sharing wasn't installed then the PCs wouldn't show up.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Make sure workgroup name is spelt the same on all pc's

21/25

Advertisement