Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS-2 Are they really any good ?

Options
  • 01-09-2001 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm thinking of splashing my hard earned cash out on a PS-2, mostly for the game aspect of it since I already have a DVD player. Are the games for it any good ? I've heard real mixed reviews of GT2. Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Frankly, at the moment, the PS2 is not worth the asking price.

There are a few titles for it which are rather good - Starfighter is a pretty competent Star Wars flying arcade game, Dead or Alive 3 is alright but no real improvement over the Dreamcast version, Tekken Tag Tournament is for massive fans of the series only as everyone else will realise that it's Tekken 3 with a couple of knobs on, errr.... Hmm.

Gran Turismo 3 is very nice graphically. I intensely dislike the gameplay, which is exactly the same as the previous games - in fact, the game is pretty much EXACTLY the same as Gran Turismo 2 but with pretty graphics. If you're a GT fan you'll like it but feel a little ripped off. If you're not a GT fan you'll hate it.

SSX is the only one of the launch titles that was really much cop, and is a very competent snowboarding type affair - a bit limited though, with only six tracks, and its not everyone's cup of tea.

This christmas may see a reversal (as well as a price cut). There's good stuff on the way - Extreme G3 is out this week, iirc, and is a stunning futuristic racer (which frankly makes you wonder why you've been waiting for Wipeout Fusion all this time...); before christmas we should hopefully have stuff like Time Crisis 2 (with gun - although sadly the GunCon 2 is a wimpy looking crappy thing), Klonoa 2, Pro Evolution (the new ISS game, called Winning Eleven 5 in Japan and apparently the best football game ever made) and possibly, if we're lucky, Devil May Cry.

That said - there are sod all really good PS2 titles that we won't see elsewhere. If you're an "I buy every console anyway, so what the hell" type of person, then wait until Christmas and see if the price comes down. If you're only planning to splash out on one of the next gens, frankly, hang on until next spring and assess it after GameCube and Xbox come out. You could well be kicking yourself for spending 300 nicker on Sony's ribbed toaster at that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Thanks Shinji, I think I'll hold off for another few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭LURCH

just to add, i had the 2nd versoin of xtreme-G on the N64 and it was absolutely fantastic, if it can make use of the power of the PS2 then it would be a brilliant buy =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This christmas may see a reversal (as well as a price cut).</font>

Oooh, nice one. I might buy one if they go down in price. I dont want to wait until the spring after for a gamecube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

The ps2 has a lot of things going for it like backwards compatibility dvd and some cool games on the way and a few good ones out at the mo. Devil may cry looks stunning onimusha is good zoe is great but it is overshadowed by the mgs2 demo and a lot of the good pc titles are on the way. The modem and hard drive will be out soon not to mention ffx and more close to us code veronica x on september 14th and the sega games aswell cause crazy taxi owns but do wait for it to go down in price cause all the peripherals are wwaaayyy to exspensive.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Mammy didn't breast feed you as a young boy did she ???

Even i think the ps2 has made a hash arsed mess of their machine and with each release of so called amazing games they prove me more and more right......bet shinji feels like a big man now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by orangerooster_2000:
    The ps2 has a lot of things going for it like backwards compatibility </font>

possibly the lamest thing ever to appear on a console.
    did you wanna play your nes games on your snes, MD games on your Saturn..and so on.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    Frankly, at the moment, the PS2 is not worth the asking price.</font>

I saw some of the demos for the upcoming games for christmas on the PS2 in the local EB.

They are I would say, breathtaking.

I saw an American Football game which looked for all intents and purposes real. There was also a Battletech type game where what I thought was the intro was in fact the game.

XBOX will have games on release but a lot of them won't take full advantage of the XBOX because the developers haven't been able to get thier hands on an uptodate one. so your probably going to see the same delay on the XBOX for good games the same your seeing on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    possibly the lamest thing ever to appear on a console.
    did you wanna play your nes games on your snes, MD games on your Saturn..and so on.
    </font>

When your parents have spent a couple of 100 quid on games for your console. Are they going to buy a better one which will still use the old games or a new one where they have to buy all the same crap again?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugs:

Even i think the ps2 has made a hash arsed mess of their machine and with each release of so called amazing games they prove me more and more right......bet shinji feels like a big man now :P[/B]</font>

Oh shut up the ps2 has plenty of good gmes and the ones coming out look amazing you cant possibly badmouth games like q3r ,onimuhsa,zoe, and to a lesser extent dynasty warriors 2 timesplitters ssx and then the next few big games are breathtaking.If there so crap bugs why did you buy an import machine???

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    When your parents have spent a couple of 100 quid on games for your console. Are they going to buy a better one which will still use the old games or a new one where they have to buy all the same crap again? </font>

if your parents have the cash to buy a PS2 for you, then thats not a question.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

for those people who havent yet bought a PS2, is their a game coming out which is goin to persuade you to get one???

for me its gotta be iss pro evolution 3, its gonna be the bees knees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I have to say Sony has made a bit of a balls up of the PS2 to date.

As I loved/love my play station so much I really thought I would have had a PS2 pretty soon after the launch - but I've still to be tempted.

That being said none of the console line ups have taken me fancy, but at least the other two have the excuse of not being released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

/me strokes his Dreamcast

mmmm...

/me strokes his GBA

ooo...

/me strokes his GameCube pre-order slip

*slobber*...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I got a PS2 for christmas... And I'm /very/ happy with it. This is coming from a person who plays consoles allot. In other words... It's ****ing awesome. And yeah.. It needs a few more games, but 80% of the games out for it are /amazing/...

I play allot of games, as many of you might know, and Tekken Tag Tournament has to the be one of the best graphics I've seen... That's just one example.

-Dark-Angel-

you can have my PS-2 for £6.

[hide]only catch is that i broke it[/hide]

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

ok chernobyl ill take it off yer hands 4 6 quid. then ill get it repared for a tenner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

oh wait thats not a real offer frown.gif y are ppl so cruel?

oh yeah just to stay on topic final fantasy wud b worth a look if ur a fan of rpgs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

i think the most intelligent thing to do for any money conscious person would be to wait untill the price is below £200 pound and there are more then 10 triple-a games. its the same story with the original playstation. you could have bought it for £400 when it 1st came out and put up with ****3 like ridge racer for a few years, or you could wait till about the christmas of '97 and got it for £150 with final fantasy 7, resi evil and well you all know the rest...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sico:
    /me strokes his Dreamcast

mmmm...

/me strokes his GBA

ooo...

/me strokes his GameCube pre-order slip

*slobber*...
    </font>

Couldn't have put it better myself smile.gif

Rich dans les Dublin a Douze, c'est les poof de la grande. Magnifique.

Maiow.

• Advertisement

I'll agree that the amount of turkeys that are released like all the army men games and a good few others that are rush realesed is criminal but then there are some really good games that are worth buying a ps2 for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Barring tekken , the majority of ps2 games are either ****e boring or insanely short but sweet.
    As for orange-whatever-twit, i bought an import for the reason that i owned a station and a coupla hundred games and i ~presumed~ that the hype was valid. I was wrong, and the amount of rubbish (and yes i've played about 10 times more ps2 games than you're poor ass) they throw out isn't even funny.

Tekken, onimusha and final fantasy and perhaps ssx are worth a purchase, everything else....not really.

Advertisement