Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War & the Irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fat toni

:confused: reckless man, youve changed man, it used to be about the music man.....and now its all.......damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bumbum

Fair play dexy, much respect for keeping an open mind and voicing that you've changed your opinion. Too many people form an early opinion and refuse to admit otherwise regardless of what other information comes to light because they're afraid of being wrong.
    As is mentioned in another reply here, you should also be careful about getting your information from a single source like Sky. It IS great coverage that they're bringing us but they are a big organisation who are bringing us "neutral" information from behind the lines of the Allies. I'm not saying that they're deliberatly trying to mislead us but they are only allowed to give certain information and they can't see a whole lot more of it from the other side of Iraqi lines. Whether this is for security reasons or not, it still means that we only have a small proportion of what is going on on one side over there.
    Try to keep an eye out for European news from France, Germany, Italy and Turkey etc.. You're more likely to see how much politics is involved in this war when you see the positions taken by each of these countries.
    This is a far more political war than any we've seen in a while. Disputes for territory, religion etc.. are generally easier to figure because we know what the aims of all parties involved are, but there are major doubts over the motives of the Allies yet everybody seems to agree that Sadam has to go! Something stinks and I'm putting it down to dodgy business and politics.
    I only hope it ends quickly because as well as people on the other side of Europe getting killed, it will continue to have an increasing effect on the rest of the world. When the dust settles though, a few men will be much richer and a whole country will be a hole lot poorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

If you're really pissed off about the war, do what I did. Go to the Whitehouse website, get it thru google or somthin, get the e-mail address for Bush and Cheney and tell them how you feel and do the same for Ahern, Harney, McAleese, Moo Cowen(he looks like a farm animal doesn't he??), Blair and Gordon Brown.
    Now before evryone jumps down me throat whingin, "they won't read it", grand, if you don't wanna send one, don't. I'm just makin a suggestion and tryin to do evrything I can to show how pissed off I am.

Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dexy

ah yeah know all about the messed upityness of the middle-east region but i dont think that Turkey will be entirley nuetral in there coverage either after all there troops have been sent into the north of Iraq a massive error of judgement as the north of Iraq which is predominitly Kurdish and as you may or may not know Turks and Kurds aint really on talking terms.I got a lugh though when i heard that "as soon as um quasar is captured that humanitarian aid will be brought in"...............lies all lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bumbum

Well that's my point. We all know that the Turks want some land or something more outta Iraq. The US want oil. Blair just seems to like kissing American ass. France were up for an invasion until the big businessmen told their government that they would loose a fortune because they've been trading with Iraq quite intensively. Germany are against it because they'll probably end up footing a large chunk of the bill to rebuild the country but they'll get sweet F A out of it.
    They've all got different motives so if you listen to each of them, they'll snipe at each other giving away clues as to each other's motives. You've gotta be careful and very selective about what information you trust because the US in particular, in the past, have used mis-information to great effect in propaganda campaigns.
    They've all got agendas, but I find that sometimes I can read between the lines and when you do this with all of the sources involved, it helps to build a broader picture.
    I don't know anything about it for sure, maybe I'm reading a little too much into some things but everything just doesn't add up properly so I'm just gonna trust my own instincts until someone prooves me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dexy

Good Call might take that approach myself

Interested to hear if peoples opinions have changed...

Advertisement