Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necron - What server ?

Options
  • 14-02-2003 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

I've decided to give this necron a go? So hobbes ( since you know my prefered playing style ) what would be a good server to join and any guides ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I play on Pluto which is a one character server.

The rest of the people here all play on Uranus? Saturn? which is four player.

I prefer Pluto with the one character as everyone in the game has a reputation to live by.

The only real warning I should give you is pick your faction well. I can't vouch for the other servers but currently the factions are broken out like this.

Twilight Guardians - As hostile with nearly every other faction most PK'ers gravitate towards this clan. If you do go with this on Pluto I won't be able to help you out as TG are hostile with me, so you will have to get some TG's to help you Genrep in NC(Neocron - The city). Most of my visits to Canyon (the TG area of the map) have involved running for my life a lot. :)

City Mercs (CM) - This is the faction I'm in. Starting off on your own it's a pain to be in. But I have a Dune Buggy, Bike and APC (can't drive yet) so I can give you lift to Neocron city and most GenReps (save points) on the map. I prefer CM as it's great for high level fighting with Warbots outside.

Fallen Angels - Tech Haven is a great place to start off to level up in, and it's kind of in between NC + CM, you need some Hacking though to get through some of the doors in the hunting zone.

Neocron Factions (The rest except Anarchy Breed) - All start in Neocron city. Crahn Sect getting the crappist apartment (has roaches in it!) to cool Via Rosso apartments of Tangent and BioTech, although everyone goes Tangent for some reason.

I would recommend avoiding the Gangster related factions as your apartment will be in Pepper Park which these days is pretty much a warzone (and your law implant won't save you).

I currently have my own clan apartment, with a total number of 1 in it :) The clan was set to help out newbies to get thier feet in the game. But in general most of my time is hiring myself out as Support PSI Monk to people and pissing off PK'ers. So I'm hunted a lot by some of the more questionable PK'ers.

If you want to play on Pluto, my name is "Simon Archeus", just email me. On the other servers the guys here can help you out with whatever you need.

Other tips. Death is cheap, so it's not like other games where you can get power looted. Although if you do plan to go the Powerlooting route I recommend taking up hacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

several people from the boars on Uranus.
    I am in a large clan 186 members last time i looked.
    Pk happends but it's ok and part of the game , but mostly your pretty safe.
    Many clans will help each other out and if you need a hand give me a shout character name 'wooky'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Pluto it is.

I'm currently back on modem until my dsl is installed (soon soon)
    Is the game playable with a modem or should I wait for the dsl ?

It's playable fine on a modem.

As for character to choose. Currently on Pluto the most sought after character types.

Pokers - These are people who can implant bio enhancments into people (eg. Mind implants, bone implants). They pop out when people die so people pay good money for being a poker especially around Military Base (CM area).

Researchers/Constructors - Trustworthy researchers are hard to come by and the job is boring but makes good cash sometimes. You normally have to be very high level before you start seeing the cash.

Passive PSI Monks (PPU) - That's what I am. Mid-High level PPU's are sought after because they can make a group close to invincible. I make a lot of cash protecting Tanks while they are whacking warbots and I ressurect them as well when they die. A high level PPU is almost impossible to kill, but absoulty crap at fighting (so hard to level up). We get cute pets though called "SoulClusters" which at high level rape enemy factions and sit around watching you getting eaten or wander off looking at butterflies or some crap.

Hackers - Hacking skill has taken off. Apart from having to hack higher level monsters like warbots to get the loot out of them, the hacker is also used to take over outposts and can steal peoples stuff that is dropped by hacking the persons belt when they die. Currently PK'ers team with a hacker so they can get as much loot as possible. PK'ers also drop more loot in thier belts, so hacking one of thier belts could be worth close to a cool million.

If you want to go the combat end (everyone can fight to some extent except PPU's who suck). I would recommend the Private Eye or Tank. Aggressive PSI monks (APU) and hybrid monks are quite powerful at high levels but really suck at low level and are a serious pain to level up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Go GenTank rev, it's much much easier to start off as.

My first char was a gentank, and I started a spy last week(currently 110 barter skill)

In general, I'd say pick City Admin as your starting faction, your start apartment will be in the plaza district where you can level in the sewers and the aggy den until you around /35

*edit* I have a 0/2 monk on Pluto, post here when abouts your going to start playing and ill hop onto pluto and help you get started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

"Researchers/Constructors - Trustworthy researchers are hard to come by and the job is boring but makes good cash sometimes. You normally have to be very high level before you start seeing the cash."

I'll have to 2nd this. I was a researcher on Saturn back in the beta-days. My friend was a constructor. We both specialized in our sections and made some serious cash. Hired up some tanks as bodyguards and a hacker. After some training I even managed to get fairly good at combat with my custom, heavily modded pistol. But for the harder combat, the tanks were nice. They just had to ask and would get any weapon they want, modded with whatever they want, and as much ammo as they want. Don't know whether its still like that, but in the beta-phase you could build up quite a reputation on a server.

*dreams*
    those were the days....
    *wakes up*

oh well... but no neocron for me anymore. Gotta finish school and I generally don't like those "pay-each-month" games.

cya
    - Flash

I am a constructor level 88 and repair level 85 ,explain it to me slowly ..how the heck am i suppose to make money ? except for standing at plaza ? The tool 100 or 150 costs me 1million credits which i do not have. All i have is tool 75 repair.. so once again .. how to make money ?

Originally posted by Wook
    I am a constructor level 88 and repair level 85 ,explain it to me slowly ..how the heck am i suppose to make money ? except for standing at plaza ? The tool 100 or 150 costs me 1million credits which i do not have. All i have is tool 75 repair.. so once again .. how to make money ?

There are numerous ways.

1. Do missions. This gets you XP and money.

2. Get a Barter Character to buy the item for you which will drop the price by 30-40%, more if you shop around as each place will sell different tools.

3. Can the tool be researched? (Haven't tried) in which case get the parts and construct one.

4. Join a clan who need a repair/researcher. They fund you the cash and help you get thier XP in return you repair and research.

5. Invest in the stock exchange. The system now works based on what outposts are being held by what faction.

Of course sitting around Plaza one isn't going to get you far unless someone throws you some cash your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Wooky, you shouldnt be a mixed tradeskill char.

Dont forget, our factories give +50 construction skill.

Btw, my alternate is a skill 115 barter char if you need a tool being bought.

not sure about the NOT mixing :)
    These days i am a level 30 and skills like this :
    Construct skill 92 tool 100 Repair 90 tool 75
    which is not too bad since i can always buy better tools (if i ever going to get the money) and have many levels to go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I would recommend avoiding the Gangster related factions as your apartment will be in Pepper Park which these days is pretty much a warzone (and your law implant won't save you).
    man, during the closed beta of neocron, my first apartment was in Pepper Park. it was the best place to look at skanky girls dancing and the dodgy types sitting in bars would sell you pills and food that would make your screen show static for a good while.

i remember taking these pills once where the screen went hazy and my controls were reversed to the point of my character falling into some corner untill static ensued. it was great. not to mention some of my skills and attributes went down after abusing the said substances. so the message is, say no to drugs kids, even in the virtual world.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

I always got drunk with a few of my chaps :)

bought a box o booze and knocked ourselves out. Got static, reversed controls and drop-on-floor-action too, but without losing stats (at least in that specific phase in beta). Dang, maybe I'll really buy this game after I got my Abitur...

cya
    - Flash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

my constructor is skill 145 with a 150 tool, the quality of the tool means squat so buy it from YO's pawn shop. its 500k cheaper plus barter drops it more.

currently have 2 characters near Cap, my GenTank Level 63 got 4 more levels to go.

my Private eye, level 57, 13 more levels to go.

Advertisement