Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best organiser/phone

• 14-02-2003 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭

Well, me looking for new phone with good organiser capabilities. Suggestions/opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi there,

do you need to sync it with your desktop (if so PC/Mac and what Application)?

would you need to input into the device / or just read from it?

is it for personal use or does it need to be a business solution?

approx. what's your max spend?

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Don't need word/Excel or that, but syncing with Outlook would be nice. Agenda/notes/task functions needed. Personal use. Not looking for XDA or anything complex like that - just a phone with a really good organiser built in. Ignore budget for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Sony Ericsson P800 seems to be getting good reviews:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/sonyericsson/p800/p1.htm

http://mobile.burn.com/review.jsp?Id=141

I've played around with it a bit (not seriously testing it or anything) and it looks and feels really nice.

davej

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Many of Nokia can sync with Outlook this way through the Sync Application that comes with the PC suite. Connected via Infrared or Cable (Bluetooth is proprietary option with specific drivers for the 6310(i)/8910). A selection of phones that support the PC Suite and available on networks here at the moment: Nokia 8910, Nokia 6310i, Nokia 6310 (removed recently), Nokia 6510, Nokia 8310. There are new models out but only available SIM free at the moment.

One's I use/used recently for Outlook Sync:

Nokia 6310(i) can Sync with Outlook. No email client though, 6310 dual-band only and bad illumination, 6310i tri-band and better illumination. One of the standard business phones out there. Watch out if you want to use Bluetooth to sync though, it requires use of the Digianswer Bluetooth Application (Nokia Recommends the Socket Bluetooth Card). Least expensive, however there are new colour models (no Bluetooth) from Nokia released but not available on the networks here just yet (e.g. 7210, 6100, 6610).

The Sony Ericsson T68i can Sync with Outlook (2000 and up) through the supplied XTNDConnect software. Connection over Infrared, Bluetooth or cable. Also has a POP / IMAP email client and can do WAP browsing. Screen is colour (but 256 colour so not as good as the latest Nokias). Small key size means it's can be difficult for input (for those with bigger fingers). But you get one of the smallest phones on the market packed with features. It's tri-band. You can clip on extras like a radio / MP3 player, Camera. However, there are rumours of an announcement at CeBIT next month with a new model(s) from SE so might be work a wait, the T68i hardware is over a year old (but still holding up well).

The Nokia 7650 can Sync with Outlook through the supplied PC Suite software. Connection over Infrared or Bluetooth (no cable option). Also has POP / IMAP email client and can do WEB (with 3rd party app) / WAP browsing. Significantly bigger screen size (than the T68i) and better colour, although the phone size is on the larger end of the scale. But it's more expandable with tools like Active Desk giving you a single view of all you PIM details.

An other new device is the Sony Ericsson P800, although that's on the scale of an XDA so may be more than you are looking for, but it’s a great device. Take a look at talla's P800 / XDA comparison here for some detailed info.

Hope that's some help.
    Brian.

Advertisement