Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer games are for geeks.

Options
  • 24-07-2001 6:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

Reading the topics posted on the boards such as “Are games an art form”, “Are computer games a sport”, “Will playing computer games help me score”, etc It has struck me that reason for these topics, which seem to exist just to try to add prestige or respectability to computer games is that deep down we’re all just a bit embarrassed to say we play computer games, and that we think its great. Now don’t get me wrong I love computer games, and as those of you who know me know I’m old enough to ‘know better’. I mean now many of you would if asked what are your major past times say ‘Ohh, I play computer games’, or would put it down as an interest on your CV?
    It seems to me that main stigma associated with this pastime is the participant’s own lack of self-esteem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i actually feel proud to play videogames, even though im getting old i still have time to relax, think and simply let off steam whilst playing games, whether they are on a pc, ps or any other format. its much better then staring at the TV screen all the time, watching adverts for the g'zilliont time or whatever clap is on.

games make you think and teach you stuff like formula 1 driving, street fighting, flying a dragoon, bass fishing or just simple terrorist tactics including bomb defusal. smile.gif

to answer your question, I freely admit to anyone that i play videogames and to put it on the CV, well, why ruin a good streak run smile.gif

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Lack of self-esteem me bollix. Lots of so called "cool" people play games all the time.

But then there are the extremists that spend virtually all their time playing one game about which their entire world revolves.

I don't understand why you'd think that people get emabarressed to say they play computer games when a huge proportion of Irelands households have at least one PSX. The freaks these days are the people who have never played a computer game.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Interesting article in the Sunday Times - Cyber-games make children brighter

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/07/22/stinwenws03005.html

I have no problem with the fact that computer games are starting to claw back some of the wasted hours that people spend in front of that most vacuous of entertainments, television.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

There's playing videogames and then there is "playing playstation/2"

Number one is seen as geeky and sad while number two is seen as cool and acceptable "after the pub".

Typical PS2 user:
    "yeah that FIFA game is wickid! Yeah and Gran Turisimo 3 is amazing, like being in a movie....yeah."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

pfff there only games so who really cares

/me gets out his kevlar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm a gamer. I've been a gamer since I was eight years old and an 8 bit computer made its appearance in my household. I own most consoles manufactured in the past ten years, I play games pretty much every day, be they competitive ones with friends online, single-player RPGs, beat'em'ups or racing games against my housemate, or even stuff like Samba de Amigo or F-Zero X or Chu Chu Rocket when folk come around at weekends to drink beer, watch DVDs and play games.

It's on my CV, and nine months ago I chucked in the whole being-a-developer lark and came to work in gaming full-time.

I'm not "proud" of being a mad gamer any more than I'd be "proud" of playing football or whatever. It's a pastime that I enjoy, and that I've made great friends through (just as you might make friends on a football team or whatever...), and that I've been lucky enough to make a career out of. I don't feel the need to justify this to anyone - why should I? Nor do I feel any need to try and make it look "legitimate" by calling it an art, or a sport... It's gaming and I love it that way. Take your art and your sport and shove it. That isn't what I signed up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

We have the highest use of Playstations per head of capita after Japan. I'd say Irish peoples attitudes have changed greatly in the last few years, maybe it has to do with the fact that nearly everyone has (or has access to) a PC. If anyone says "computer games are for kids" ,tell them about the money to be made in the industry and that usually shuts them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I am 16 years old,

I am in a boarding school

I am a member of the school video drama group

I have a psx dreamcast mega drive game gear saturn and p600 ( ihave had 3 pcs)

I play rugby

I like anime

I like comics

I like girls.

Hence if i said this to someone in my school i will be classed as geek/nerd u name it.

But if u take one of the more "popular" people in the school he plays counter-strike as much as i do. He just doesnt admit it. The head of my house (area of boys dorm) Collects japanese comics and anime yet he's considered the soundest.

The three people who are most against games. 1 is hated because he acts like a jerk all day and talks about nothing but rugby.
    The second is another sports freak who comes from Kenya and his closest thign to gaems is solitaaire. And the last is strange he h8s games but he luvs editing and programming.

Everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to games and sports. I could be considered the biggest geek on the games issue if u look at my topics on the art and port issue. But i aint insecure about it. This is because i well know wha i like wha i am good at and wha i intend to do with my life. I may not make it but heck i'm gonna try.

And on another note if u enjoy it who cares biggrin.gif I mean my kenyan friend who h8's games his form of enjoyment is playing sports then getting p1ssed sure a normal routine but i'll never understand the fact he will get p1ssed just for BEING p1ssed its common in my school and i guess its common everywhere its just something i'll never understand. I can see being ****ed for celebration (i.e 2000) or something but just for the fact that your drunk confuses me. So the end result everyone has names for someone with different likings and the result is u can call them wha they want and if they really are into "games" they wont care and brush it off.

-Taalking about Games as a artform or sport is not really a sign of insecure more of a confusion to the fact games are the most different media and being a mixture of activity and entertainment its hard to see wha they are. A activity which can be a sport? or a entertainment media which is like moving art? The answer is just they are games and u can like em, luv m, h8 em or just think they are pretty alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I agree with Hellfire to an extent.

When studies come out showing that computer games help your co-ordination or improve your mental ability or make your penis grow, gamers latch onto them for justification for what they're doing.

That said, almost everybody now-a-days plays computer games. But, as was said, few people admit to it. When I talk to people in school, gaming is almost never the topic, but when it does come up it turns out everybody takes an interest in them.

As for putting them on your CV, it would depend on the job. If I was applying for a job to do with computers, animation, entertainment etc I would, but not for anything else.

Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered that they were not Indians at all but only dirty-clothes hampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Hello

My name is Phill ...

... and I'm a Nerd.

http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Fragnet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

The simple fact is, it seems to me, that nerds are 'normal' people, who have gotten a bit... how could I put it... carried away.

Look at it this way:

Most of us love Transformers

Most of us play too many video games

Most of us are socially inept and/or immature

Most of us love comics or cartoons

Most of us have physical defects brought on from too much Internet or gaming (Myopia biggrin.gif, bad backs, pale skin etc)

Now the casual gamer has none of these features, because he strikes an equilibrium. Games are one of his pass times. Nothing more. As for a nerd, he buys magazines, he reads the news sites, he plays online.

My name is Brian, and I am a nerd and yes, I am ashamed to admit that I play video games. So I never do.

That said, I know a few nerds who are not really ashamed to talk about their pastime in public. They of course, get a hard time for it. As for me, I keep it to myself and that ensures that I sure as **** do not have to answer for it. Which is fine for me. It might sound spineless, but it's better then the un-enlightened few giving me **** for my pass-time. Call me shallow, but I would not want it getting around that I was a nerd.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I have a excuse for my excessive gamings anyway: I play a total of 6 hours of gaming from september to december etc etc cause of boarding school. So when i do get home i try and make back aall the time lost and my l33t skillz.

But tha is just kiddding myself.

-nothing wrong buying the magazines if someone slags u for it point out tha there has to be aalot of us for a magazine to exist let alone about 20.

Serious they are so many gamers tha are somewhere between relitive casual to dedicaton tha we have magazines for every console and the P.C so go figure

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hmm, this is worrying.
    I dont accept i am immature or socially inept. I just like games as well as everything else i like.
    Im not ashamed to admit i like playing games, I have just learned not to bother explaining why i do.
    I dont see the topics of games as a sport and an art form as justification in any way. They are simply a discussion of something that i am interested in (in a forum called 'games' i might add)
    In work (Im a film/video editor) we talk about video kit a lot*. theres a few guys who live and breathe this stuff and they would be considered 'video nerds' for want of a better word. If all you talk about/do/think about is games, then even from my point of view, your a nerd. When it comes to on line gaming tho, even mentioning quake or counter strike is enough to label you a geek by the general public. That doesnt actually make you a geek, its just public perception.

*Interestingly enough, a while ago we were talking about 'is editing an artform', the jurys still out on that one too smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

K,

IMO I think that society has changed big time over the past couple of years (not decade). But there are also ppl that do not want to change because they like living in an old fashioned world, or else they simply don't like change. I see this everyday, and I can point the finger @ some of my closest friends. I on the other hand like most of you, started off with the 8-bit systems, and have made to way to PS 2 + PIII 700.

What I'm talking about doesn't just cover games, but the whole area of technology playing a large role in our life. Some ppl are afraid of technology (take some of your older relatives for example). Any grandfather in the country would love to see his grandchild win the County Final. Could you imagine the same grandfather appreciating the other grandchild who is declare l33t @ CS or Q3. I think not!. That is because there can be a border line between the two types of ppl. The reason ppl would be afraid of putting Gaming down on their CV is because they don't know if the person reading it is on the same side that they are.

My grandparents know that I'm going to be a programmer when I leave college, and they love the idea. I know they don't fully understand what a programmer does though. But if I told them that I was going to be programming games, I know they would be quickly dissapointed. Even though they don't know what a programmer does, they still think it's a wasters job, just because I said computer games (which is a form of entertainment, not something that would get you stressed over).

So overall, it doesn't matter what kind of games or how much time you spend playing them. All that matters in todays society is that some ppl have adjusted to the idea of gaming being accepted as a passtime and others have not. Actually a job I saw on IrishJobs.ie a few months back was for a programmer who liked to play Q3. So you can see the idea is catching on. But as long as ppl are going to be narrow minded and be easily influenced by their peers, people who play games will be looked upon as Geeks

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Maybe I should have specified PC Gaming as practised here, the I've got no life gaming rather than Console gaming. The later is more an after thought, PS/2 etc dont get quite so caught up in the whole thing. For example they'll not head off to a net cafe to met a load of other freaks to have a 'great' time playing games until the early hours of the morning. I dont know it just seems a bit embarassing really, something you wouldnt bring up in polite company.

Did I say I love gaming, hell its almost true.

I love playing games for the sake of a bit fun, but it just seems to serious these days.

[This message has been edited by Rev Hellfire (edited 24-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

wellity wellity wellity

PC gaming is not just for geeks, you forget my friend the steaming pile of goat poo which is Championship Manager XX/XX. I've seen many casual gamers entranced by its spreadsheet-like aura and magnetism. (These are people whose more common phrases would be "waa You muppet" and the classic "State-a-you" and the infamous response "State-a-me?State-a-you". I do live in limerick btw

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

anyone whos life revolves around playing games is prety sad. unless its part of their livelihood, ie, developers, reporters, testers.
    its a great past time, its good fun, but some people at too serious. anyone who spends hours bunnyhopping around a level so they can play online and beat everyone has far too much time on their hands, and is pretty boring to have nothing better to do.
    play for fun, but dont admit to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

OK, Ill come right out and say it. I love playing games, but I dont often tell people about it. The reason is not really one of low self esteem (because lets face it, im l33t wink.gif ) Its more that ive learned from experience that no matter how you spin it, 'civilians' view playing online games 'nerdy'.
    Since the advent of the playstation, most people seem ok with single player PC games. Throw the internet into the mix however and you become a walking dilbert. This doesnt bother me hugely, all my friends know that I play online and slag me about it endlessly. It only bothers me when every so often i try to find out WHY they find it nerdy.
    "Because your playing against other nerds on the internet"
    "Whats the difference between that and a two player game of FIFA"
    "Its on the internet against nerds"
    "But you sent me an email today with a web link in it"
    "Thats differnet, im not a nerd"
    etc etc

Ive waffled a bit, but in short if we are to take the democratic view, Yes online computer games are for Geeks. deal with it smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThunderingMike:

Most of us love Transformers
    </font>

er, nope.
    Most of us play too many video games
    </font>

er, nope.
    Most of us are socially inept and/or immature
    </font>

er, nope.
    Most of us love comics or cartoons
    </font>

er, nope.
    =Most of us have physical defects brought on from too much Internet or gaming (Myopia biggrin.gif, bad backs, pale skin etc)
    =
    </font>

er, nope.
    Nothing more. As for a nerd, he buys magazines, he reads the news sites, he plays online.
    </font>

er, nope.
    My name is Brian, and I am a nerd </font>

er, yep.

That said, I know a few nerds who are not really ashamed to talk about their pastime in public. They of course, get a hard time for it. As for me, I keep it to myself and that ensures that I sure as **** do not have to answer for it. Which is fine for me. It might sound spineless, but it's better then the un-enlightened few giving me **** for my pass-time. Call me shallow, but I would not want it getting around that I was a nerd.

</font>

it depends on the company you keep.
    the saddest thing you could ever do is to drop your 'nerd' fiends so you can hang around other people so as to become sociably acceptable.

Your Imps Demand Cable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I'm with Dustaz on this one. I'm 31 and a developer by profession. I adore games and I play online* but I don't consider myself socially inept or even a geek (well certainly not a hardcore geek, more of a technophile). I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed of my hobby. I love technology and games for me often represent the cutting edge of PC tech, that's part of why I love them. Sheer entertainment value though has to be the most important one.

I don't want to get into an argument, especially since I didn't contribute to the thread on this topic, but I do think that games are an emergent arts form and that parallels with gaming today and the early days of cinema are strong. Games are never going to appeal to everyone but as time goes on I do think that they'll lose their geeky image bit by bit.

Until they're no nerdier than say, chess. wink.gif

K

* well, not at tbe moment 'cos I've given up on Tribes 2 but I'm looking to get DOD soon and give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gah!

I've got Computer Gaming on my CV. And I quote:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Computer Gaming
    I love to play games on my PC at home, or even games over the Internet especially “Counter-Strike”, which I am a member of one of Ireland's many clans. Gaming over the Internet relies heavily on teamwork and communication with the rest of your team-mates because of bad connections causing “lag” which means some people’s game run’s more slowly than others (e.g. Modem versus DSL).</font>
    See - it's plugging the communication thing and the team player thing - employers like this.

My friends give me a hard time about it - I've usually brushed them off and told them of the money to be earned, but next time it comes up and they start slagging, I'm going to ge them to explain to me why they find it funny.

I firmly believe in computer gaming being a sport - not a main stream or tangable sport like rugby or soccer, but gaming is now at a level where people simply *watch* others playing for fun (be it live or by downloading demos). I really don't think it'll be too long before people are playing PC games in a more main stream environment and being accepted as "athletes" (I don't like using that word in this context).

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Did I mention the mental defects nerds suffer also? No? Here's a big one: Denial.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Raife

I'm always truthfull about my pastimes, so if someone asks me i tell them, simple as that.

Ltr!!
    Raife!! smile.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I think youz have geeks and loosers mixed up.
    A geek is some1 who looks really pale and talks all squeeky,(eg-transformers), but a looser is some1 who is obsessed computers, and always plays them.
    However, the term looser does not just apply to computers. People who are obsessed with anything are loosers, (eg-football freaks, and wwf-loosers)
    In order to not be a looser, you just have to not do the same thing all the time, or in this case, get away from the computer every now and then....
    (no comments on my spelling, or vocabulary please..)

i hate you guys......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jockey Spollix

Anyone for pong?

[This message has been edited by Jockey Spollix (edited 26-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:

anyone whos life revolves around playing games is prety sad. unless its part of their livelihood, ie, developers, reporters, testers.
    </font>

...said the Boards.ie Moderator with four thousand five hundred and fifty EIGHT posts. tongue.gif

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Eamos acursed post count strikes again wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:

it's plugging the communication thing and the team player thing - employers like this.
    </font>

Nice. biggrin.gif
    lets Just replace the word "nerd" with "Hardcore Gamer" shall we?
    Nerd is such a stupid American word...
    Well im a Hardcore Gamer, and i find that it doesnt bother my friends, and neither have i been troubled about it by my enemies, the people who give the most stick are my Family.
    We dont exactly have a Grand sporting tradition, and they dont give me any suggestions on what i should do with my time.
    Why cant i just sit inside with the curtains pulled and finish FF9 now that its Summer and the exams are over confused.gif ??
    I dont have much else to do, i dont want to be bored, cant i just keep myself happy quietly without bothering anyone?
    argghh*** confused.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you dont tell people you are into games because you are afraid they'll call you a geek, you should grow some backbone and join phylum vertebrae.

I tell business people I meet if they ask what I do for kicks, (snowboarding and multiplayer gaming). I've made no secret of organising the Quake national team. I dont go out of my way to tell people and its not my entire life but I dont hide it either.

I've been called a geek all my life, as long as I can remember. I recall guys in my school giving me a load of stick for being into BBSes and later for having an "email account" (this was back in '89).

Now the very same guys are in industry and I've built websites for two of them. Todays geeky thing is tomorrows "wave of the future" and the day after's manditory technology.

If people look at you strange because of what you do, look at them strange back smile.gif
    In a tired voice tell them you'd "hate to be noooormal".

Favourite quote on the topic: "Poor is the man who's pleasure depend on the permission of another" [1]

DeV.

[1]No, thats NOT a quote from Madonna as I was accused of before on this very board, its Nietzsche smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

brilliant quote, absolutely brilliant smile.gif

i think the whole nerd thing comes down to the look. if you look like a nerd ppl will call you a nerd. i think thats representative of how shallow the whole nerd thing is.

and as for playing games means you have low self esteem, thats a generalisation, and like all generalisations, its untrue. there are ppl who play games and have low self esteem. there are ppl who play games and have high self esteem. sometimes the 2 are connected, sometimes they are unconected.

its a social stigma, that will hopefully be shaken over time.

Advertisement