Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer games are for geeks.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

the whole nerd thing is really annoying mention games and youre interest in computer games and most people will immediatly call you a geek or a child or whatever and if you go to secondary or primary school a lot of kids are really badly bullied for having ineterests that arent soccer or wrestleing even though most of the kids do have these interests but apparantley to these "cool" kids games negate all this in there niave and childish minds

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

This really is starting to feel like geeks anonymous

.dNC.OSiriS
    url="http://www.hatstand.cx"]HAT[/urlOSiriS
    http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Fragnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

I put Online Computer Games in my hobbies in my tesco application form biggrin.gif (i am only 15 and i can walk there , no im not a fool)
    as for physical defects from gaming , eh like wtf you'd have to play a heluva lot with a very bad posture to get stuff like that , also as for bneing socialy inept , like just because u play games doesnt mean you havent got a clue how to talk to people in "real life"(whatever that is) i play alot of games on the net but i still have time to go out with my friends to the cinema etc(well apart from last few days dueto CS practics :/ ) . i think playin so much games that you dont even go out with friends anywhere is sad . even going to a lan with people you know is sociable so i dont see how you think gamers are becoming socially inept?

Also yes tranformers does rock and it doesnt make you a nerd , although fraggle rock 0wned transformers and MASK was close after tranformers biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vacca

i don't think being socially inept is related to gaming. i've met/known plenty of people you'd consider "social" that play PSX games (which apparantly is better than PC gaming? in what world I ask you), that I would consider scumbags/knackers. PC gamers are geeks sounds like a negative statement to me, and I can honestly say the smartest/funniest/nicest people I personally know are PC gamers too.

there's a lot of people out there that have lives, that have outdoor actitivies, and girlfriends and boyfriends, and go drinking with their mates, and still go to lan parties or play CS, etc. Sure there's some that don't, but u can say that about PSX-heads or people that watch TV constantly too.

vac

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels:
    ...said the Boards.ie Moderator with four thousand five hundred and fifty EIGHT posts. tongue.gif

</font>

well, 98% of my posts have some from being bored in work. before when i worked 12 hour night shifts pressing buttons on a machine as a lowly factory operator, to working 11 hour shifts at night in ibm as tech support.
    now im just bored in work doing desktop support. smile.gif
    but posting on these boards is not the same as spending your free hours playing games.
    for start, only 25%ish of the forums here are for games. the rest is all kinds of subjects. using a computer to discuss different topics is not the same as spending 6 hours a day playing CS or q3 or UT online.
    i have no problem with people doing it. i meet people who do it. we talk rubbish about games and b1tch about the people who use these boards and have fun. ive evn helped in a few lans with DeV and co. i used to play all my free time away. i have been called a nerd and a geek and i dont care one way or the other. but i wont go out of my way to tell people i play games. its just not as important as other things i do.
    i get more stick for saying i play hockey anyway smile.gif
    sure hockey is a poofs game wwman.gif

Your Imps Demand Cable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:

If people look at you strange because of what you do, look at them strange back smile.gif
    In a tired voice tell them you'd "hate to be noooormal".

</font>

id agree with you on your points except this one tom.
    people look at you because you strange because you look funny smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

i've also been called a geek because i know a bit about computers and i'm good at games in general. I like to play football{not to be confused with the GAA version}i like running and if i can, cycling. I used to love sports but don't have much time now as i'm either too tired to play from working in front of a pc all day or none of my mates want to. They also have a thing about pc's as being geeky, most of them don't even know what HTML is about or how you would use it.I don't care if they say "oh, you're a nerd" or " you big geek" . I couldn't care if they say it and i do say i play games if i am asked. I have been playing games since the sega master system came out...even before that my cousin had as atari 2600 i think it was and played syndicate wars on it with him.
    People call us gamers geeks because they feel they'll get the same labelling we do if they started to play also. And I used to call pc users geeks myself about a year ago but i use a pc every day for work, i play counter-strike,i play legend of mir and i don't mind if i am labelled by someone.I am an RPG fan and play final fantasy if i feel like it and will play till' the end every time i put it on. I say F**K all the labellers as they've got brown lips from talking too much sh*te.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I just thought i'd post my views and experiences on this thread as i think its a good one.

In my class at school there are seven guys (including myself) and six of us play computer and/or console based games. I'm the only one called a geek because i've been on the school quiz teams for the past four years. Console gamers are not called nerds or whatever because they are so widespread and have gained, i suppose, acceptance as a "normal" thing- i'm not saying computer gamers are weirdos. I myself play computer games occasionally- flight sims and strategy games are my favourites. In fact, I think that computer gamers are a very dedicated, committed group of people- I can hardly say that of myself but rather those that play CS, Half-Life etc.

I would rather describe those that are serious computer gamers as gaming enthusiasts or such like. On that point, one guy in my class virtually collects consoles, plays a lot- its his main hobby. Yet nobody would dare to call him a nerd- he'd just crack peoples skulls if he was called that.

The Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Right I would just like to say that syndicate wars most definitely was not released on the atari 2600.

I also play game, although not as much as I would like, and I don't consider it nerdish, and I don't get any slagging from anyone. I play games because I like to, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

god damn!!! i livw in clonmel... full stop.... its fuccking boring ass hell!!! unless ur 18 and can drink... most ppl hang around at evening times bout 6 or 7 and during the day all there is to do putside is play soccer or sit around talking bout what u did last night!!!!! well fucck that i play my computer.. and play all different types of games.. im sure most of ye do the same unlesss ye work... like what the **** is theree to do on sunday bout 1 or 2pm? sit around and lick barney the dinasaurs fuccking pussy??? NO PLAY GAMES ON COMPUTERS!!!! who gives a fucck what other ppl say most likely they do the same!! most entertainment in the world comes from t.v ot computers... and i dont give a fucck what others say i play it all the time in school... keeps me from going insane!!!..

- Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin </font>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

yikes thats quite a temper there mike biggrin.gif but youre right no need to be ashamed of being a gamer its just doing what you like if ****ing up youre life with drugs and **** when youre 14 is what those dicks like let them on and do it and die whn there 17 or even younger so lets all play games and kill each other with rail guns and fusion rocket launchers on the net and then dream of doing it to the people who opress us so leyt us gamers tke it no more take youre weapons and lets frag the ass off those drugie *******s who insulted us in school and soon the world will be ours mick youre with me so lets all fight for our right ot game!!!!!!

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

yea ok.. what rooster said...

- Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin </font>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

im in the same state as mike...
    I live in a ghost town,every1 10years old and over smoke in my town there all wan|{ers and most will b dead b4 there 50 (no ofense)so i sit at home and play games,i have a m8 in school thats the same except hes in the countryside so he has a better excuse.
    We arent ashamed 2 talk about games in public every1 knows we do,we dont mind,we get a bit of slagging but were strong as hell and when some li'l git says somthin 2 us we grab him by the back of the neck and he usually runs like hell (quite funny smile.gif).
    And if playing games makes u a geek,y do so many people play them ??
    Its a good pass time,i play games about 6hours a day and intend 2 make a carrear out of it.When i play on-line i chat with my m8s and have a good time playing TF/CS etc.. (even tho i only have 6 or sofriends within 20miles (theres a lot of m0ngs in my area frown.gif)
    I also collect models and luv art..so what ??
    some people wander y i colect models,its another pas time,so what ??
    \Thats me,who gives a sh!t ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I play about 70 hours a week of counter strike.
    Am I a geek?
    Well im also on several soccer teams play rugby, i was vice president of the entertainments crew in the S.U last year in collage and I score nice birds most nites i go out. Also i have put computer games as a past time on CV's before but only for certain jobs. Computer games can be for geeks but doesnt have to be for geeks.
    Firstly get out excercise, socalize and make friend that arent just computer frinds and dont be a big fat nerd biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

70 hours!?!! ****in hell , im not sure im even awake that long in a week ....

70hours ?!?!?! that all wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

Topic: Computer games are for geeks.

WELL MY MOM SEZ IM COOL!!!1111 frown.gif

yes, jabba ure cool wink.gif
    /me smiles and walks away wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jabba_the_SLUT:
    Topic: Computer games are for geeks.

WELL MY MOM SEZ IM COOL!!!1111 frown.gif
    </font>
    Your mom says im cool as well wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Geek.

On a more serious note (HAH).
    I try to take my life as unseriously as possible... And I find it annoying when people take life seriously... Ofcourse, some can't help this. But I personally try to steer away from taking life seriously... er, so I'll shut up. biggrin.gif

My point is: I hate people who take games seriously... They're games, thats what they are, games. So enjoy 'em. If you find yourself getting annoyed whilst playing CS, don't play it.

-Dark-Geek-

[This message has been edited by Dark-Angel (edited 31-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hugh

This is kinda, weird but Ive had a computer pretty much all my life, Ive dabbled with programming and all sorts of "Nerdy" stuff, I have lots of friends and whatever, I even tell them of my site icklepix.com , and Ive never been called a nerd, or geek.

http://www.icklepix.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

arra will ye all g'wan outside and get a bit o' sunshine! and read a book!

i first had a computer in 1983. i have about 7,500 computer games. it's weird to think that i can get bored sometimes, but i do smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Balfa (edited 02-09-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Oh look. In 7 years, Sony's revenue from the Playstation has gone from 0% to over 50% of their total revenue. Think about that. Sony, that make everythingyoucanname in the home entertainment sector now make more money from the playstation alone than from everything else, TVs, phones, VCRs, stereos, CDs, Walkmans, Minidisc, all put together!

well i just think that's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

me 2

Advertisement