Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nepotism

Options
  • 14-02-2003 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Nepotism - is it illegal, in the business world??

What ever about the moral implications, i'm just curious is it against the law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Generally it is legal, however if it can be construed as fraudulent (contrary to company policy or direct instructions), it can get you fired and maybe prosecuted. It's a big no-no in the civile service, but that doesn't stop them when the rewards are big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting fact number 2234:

The word nepotism comes from Latin (or Italian) for nephew. The reason being - the Vatican cardinals et al brought their "nephews" into the church, promoted them, whatever. Their nephews were of course their illigitimate sons, they weren't allowed to have sons y'see.

Isn't that really interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

One of the many injustices practiced by the church prior to the reformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by azezil
    Nepotism - is it illegal, in the business world??

What ever about the moral implications, i'm just curious is it against the law?

Do you mean within the comapany structure (ie sons taking over from fathers ) or externally (supplier owned by brother of purchasing manager)?

In my experince it goes on all the time, some companies have rules (civil service, gards, multinationals) most do not.

The only place where I could see it being illegal would be in a hiring or promotion situation where you were up against the 'nephew' but (thank god) I'm no lawyer

Advertisement