Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discuss the Meteor Irish Music awards here

Options
  • 14-02-2003 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Bob Geldof has just copped the lifetime contribution award so what do you think of the rest of the nominees? Plenty of Phantom friendly artists for change! Check out the categories and nominees and how to vote at:

http://www.meteor.ie/about/mima_vote.html

Wouldn't it be great to get the best Irish Album awarded to Mic Christopher? Vote for it now with your mobile just text:

VOTE 4 SKYLARKIN to 53121

According to Meteor, texts cost no more than 60c. All votes to be received by midnight Monday 24th February. Only available in the Rep. of Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

nah, JJ72 are FAAAARRRRRRR more deserving..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

JJ72?? my farts sound better than their music....hmmm the nominees seem a little better this year, but it'll still be annual "how much can louis walsh bribe meteor to get his karakoe act to win an award" award show. this is an excuse for a coporate whore backslapping festival if you ask me.

but you're right, mic should get it.

I also notice tool at ozzfest omitted from the best live show of 2002...funny that.

but really at the end of the day does anyone over the age of 15 care about awards shows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Kinda strange nominations in some categories:

Best international album:

The Streets - Coldplay - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Robbie Williams - The Flaming Lips - Bruce Springsteen

These seem kinda random - I suppose they're trying to prove their diversity...

I wouldn't be suprised if half those acts don't know who the other half are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Jeez... U2 must be sick of winning best irish act..... they probably should step down and give someone else a chance maybe then the revs can take over ..... no only messin'

But looking at the best irish radio Dj thing it makes you realise that the range of music played on irish radio after dark is pretty good with Donal Dineen, Tom Dunne, Dave Fanning & John Kelly all responable for lots of excellent at best and interesting at worst music been played on the commercial airways

I would have included Jay Ahern as well but he's not Irish irish if y'know what I mean ie. he's american... but his show on 2fm (sunday's 11- 2am) is really good....

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Yeah, jay ahern should be in there too. Fine show. Dave Fanning is kind of past it at this stage IMO. Donals show great. I never really listen into kellys show but when i do it seems decent enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

my votes would be:
    best irish group - the frames
    best irish female- gemma hayes
    best irish male - damien rice
    best irish album - skylarkin
    best new act - damien rice
    best international - flaming lips
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Why do awards ceremonies (oscars included) make a gender distinction? Fair enough if you're talking about physical sports, like 100m sprinting, but music/acting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Since when is Damien Rice a new act? And why in the hell is Robbie Williams nominated for best international album???

Then again its the Meteor awards... who cares???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Er... 60c per vote and theres 15 categories? That's... €9?

Suck my balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

ah Pie what's for free these days! Over 75% of the population have a mobile so its a convenient way of voting. If postal voting was immediate and convenient it would still cost you at least 41c per vote. Your call cost covers processing, the cost of transmission and a premium for the organisers (that probably goes towards their promotion budget). The awards have nothing to do with Phantom but I think the miniscule costs involved in voting is worth while to promote some of the artists that many Phantom listeners enjoy and receive airplay on the station. We're happy to direct a few voters their way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Hardly miniscule costs! For someone with a real job it's not much but if you're on a tight budget €9 is a lot for just voting - why not have internet voting too?

Seems a bit suspect...

€9.00 = Two pints

As regards internet voting you will have to ask Meteor but they are a phone co. so I can't see them doing it any other way. In any case, you don't have to vote and this posting is purely for information. Entirely, up to you if you want to partcipate in it as it a Meteor award and nothing to do with Phantom.

I've put my vote in for Mic, in any case.

Given that nobody seems to question mobile phone companies for their high prices for ordinary calls and SMS and can't why people are fussing over this!!

Enough about telephone calls back to the music ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

€9.00 = Two pints

I fail to see how that's gonna make me want to vote, you just made me twice as determined NOT to vote ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Still lobbying for the last post.
    Vote 4 Dry Land
    Etc.

PIE! Don't vote, please! I'd hate to see you out of pocket for something that's a "bit suspect"!

Yes Joss, there is a bit of a conundrum in the Best Irish Album category with who to vote for. The Last post is a great album and great to see it shortlisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Originally posted by BrianD
    If postal voting was immediate and convenient it would still cost you at least 41c per vote.

well it would be more cost effective to just put all the votes in one envelope and send it to one address at a total cost of 41c

however it would be well worth one's while to vote for 3 or 4 of you fave artists (espacially young pretty females who are as yet unsigned for some daft reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ASTROBOY

who's playing at the awards this year?

I dont care who wins what particularly, although it would be nice to see some legitimate talent (like mic) win some things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭madouva

Originally posted by joss
    Still lobbying for the last post.
    Vote 4 Dry Land
    Etc.

GOOD MAN, JOSS.
    I'll second Joss.

if that's okay with Joss!

Advertisement