Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will International football become obsolete in generations to come?

• 15-02-2003 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

With friendlies quickly becoming meaningless, with players retiring earlier and earlier from international duty, with club v country power battles every month over releasing players etc etc the question is posed : 'Will International football become obsolete in generations to come?'

Will International football become obsolete in generations to come? 1 vote

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

World cups and continental championships will never become obsolete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

gotta agree with waylander.

The world cup is still the biggest thing to win in world football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

And is also worth 13 Billion to FIFA.

So umm not likely but i can see freindlies dying a death.
    They are pointless not liek the fans care about them we only care about qualifiers and touraments.

And as we all club fans (me being pats gwan Uganda ) we would prefer to see the players resting rather than playing pointless freindlies.

Well for the top 6 in every league maybe no players should be called from them.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I am sick of hearing managers piss and whinge about internationals, friendly or otherwise.

The facts:

1. The Champions Leauge currently (I know it changes soon) means 17 matches to win.

2. The Premiership has 20 teams, and the vast majority of the clubs have resisted reducing that number.

3. The main clubs play their own meaningless (sorry, cash-generating) friendlies all over the globe during the close season...Man U to Asia, and the US this Summer coming for instance.

4. There is constant complaining about the "pace" of the game, and the condition of pitches from managers, as an excuse for their over-tired players.

Consider when Liverpool ruled the roost. There was never any thought of playing a weakened team in the League Cup. They wanted to win everything. Played their best 11 week in, week out. No problems with internationals, and many of the players didn't use air-travel to get to and from matches (I'm sure Irish players couldn't afford the airfare from London to Dublin in the late 70s...£300 in those days a hell of a lot of money). The pitches were nearly always a disgrace.

Interestingly, I read during the week that Frank "best pundit in the world" Stapleton had to have it written in his contract that he would be allowed to play for Ireland when he was at Man U. Maybe they've always had a problem with the "lesser nations"...

Friendlies DO have a purpose, particularly for new managers. How else are they supposed to try out new tactics? What if you want to play a flat back four, but all your top defenders play as part of a back three at their clubs? You think they just change overnight? Admittedly, after a while there is no point naming the established boys in the team, cos' you should know them well by then, but its always a good idea to try out the up and coming guys in a proper match. better than throwing them in at the deep end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

the new champions league format reduces the competition to 13 games for the finalists, that'll help.
    current system of two group phases is ridiculous.
    the big clubs like man utd didn't want the change cause 4 less games is a lot of money lost but what would they care about the impact on international football?

no, interantional footbal is important to fans and important to uefa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Interestingly, I read during the week that Frank "best pundit in the world" Stapleton had to have it written in his contract that he would be allowed to play for Ireland when he was at Man U.

Maybe they've always had a problem with the "lesser nations"...
    [/B]
    They definetly did!

In fact things were so bad back in the 1960's for example that Irish players would line out for their clubs on a Saturday then get the ferry over to Dublin to play for Ireland the very next day. A ridiculous situation which contributed to us at one stage not winning a game for over 5 years.

Respect for Stapleton to going to such lengths to assure his availability. It's a pity certain players today don't seem to have the same level of commitment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Pigman II

Respect for Stapleton to going to such lengths to assure his availability. It's a pity certain players today don't seem to have the same level of commitment :(

Must have been his agent who negotiated that one, I can't imagine Frank have the cop on!:D

Interestingly, the Man U website had a piece during the week about Stapo agreeing with Roy Keane (not that again!) not returning to the fold. A case of sour grapes perhaps?

Advertisement