Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun games - targeting the hardcore gamer?

Options
  • 02-09-2001 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Like most others, when I go to the Arcades, a fair percentage of my time/money is spent with the shooting games (á lá Time Crisis and Point Blank)

Now the genre has existed for a fair while on consoles. The first Die Hard Trilogy game was the first to popularise the genre. However since then (with a few notable exceptions, like the ones mentioned above) decent gun games seem to be somewhat scarce, and could hardly be described as a console staple.

One reason why I never got a gun game for the PS was because the initial cost was somewhat prohibitive - you had to buy both the game and the light gun. There were also compatibility issues with different light guns for different games. I never really liked the light guns for the PS either - they were either unwieldy or they had controls on the actual gun which made fluid functioning of the gun more difficult.

However, with the release of the latest Time Crisis game, and with a wave of nostalgia for the genre, I wonder if now is the time for the gun game to shoot it's way out of the game shops into our gaming collection. Are they just too short-lived and too adreneline heavy to really compete with the dearth of decent titles already available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

First, I'd like to say the first, and best popular console gun game was Duck Hunt on the NES. That game was brilliant.

I think gun games are great, one of the few genres that can be put to practical use(if you're an American). Some are short lived, but Many have secrets and different routes. Then again, I just love shooting stuff.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Virtua Cop was great and VC2 owned.
    smile.gif
    i really like TC1 but no thanks for the sequel.

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by swiss:
    The first Die Hard Trilogy game was the first to popularise the genre. ? </font>

I seem to remember playing Operation Wolf when i was a wee lad (long before Die Hard i thought but i'm open to correction) and reckon it would hold the title for 'popularise the genre' imho.

Regarding current gun titles I *love* House of the Dead 2 on DC with the gun. Great laugh playing with a mate and there is surprising re-play value with numerous alternative routes etc..

All in all I enjoy these titles but I think they are best played multi-co-op to get the most from them smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Silent scope duel (ss2) ownz all your collective pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by veonix:
    Silent scope duel (ss2) ownz all your collective pants</font>

Ah, i was just about to bring that up, great fun in the arcades smile.gif

Ive allways loved playing light gun games in the arcades, never got round to buying a gun for the PS for some reason though... Maybe because it never really had many games that used it and a decent gun cost 50 pounds (ish? Cant remember smile.gif ). Just didnt seem worth spending 90 pounds on one game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

serious sam is good so is max payne,

either games have got less guns in them or we have been successfully desensitized from violens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Superman:
    serious sam is good so is max payne,

either games have got less guns in them or we have been successfully desensitized from violens
    </font>

Erum, the topic is about light gun games, games where you actually use a gun in real life smile.gif IE. Time Crisis1/2, Point blank/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

ahh duck hunt that brings back memories! Have you notice those games in arcades with the sensors (ones a police shooter) where if u move slightly left your character moves slightly left and u can duck and stuff as in real life! theres also a boxing one i think. but that police shooter looks good!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

Advertisement