Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Context Menu

Options
  • 15-02-2003 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to remove and rename items in the context menu in XP.
    I'm Trying to remove the "CuteFTP upload" and rename some of the longer ones to songthing shorter.

In win9x you could do this, i think, with Tweak UI or something but i have gotten Fresh UI and similar ones for XP and they only let you ad new ones and remove things from the "New" list.

So can anyone tell me how i can do what i'm trying to do?

Thanks
    KappaR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Try using regedit, and searching the registry for the exact phrase..

For example the Recycle Bin popup says something along the lines of "Conains deleted items.." So in the registry search for that phrase, then replace it with whatever you want.

Mine says "Sh*t I dont want anymore"

You'll have to search for each phrase individually, because they'll all be located in different areas of the registry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Open up your task bar, click on the cuteftp button hold your left mouse key down and drag it on to your desktop. Then delite the short cut off your desktop That will get rid of it.

One of the new features of XP is extensive ability to edit the Properties of your task bar and to customise it.

Right click on your start button go to properties and you will notice all the changes you can make to your task bar.

Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\tsizepro24\command]
    @="C:\\PROGRA~1\\JAMSOF~1\\TREESIz~1.4\\tsizepro.exe /context \"%1\""

i used that to bring back the useful scan directory tree function of treesize pro after a windows reinstall without haveing to re install treesize itself.

that would only work for folders though. for other types of files you would have to find their entry in the classes_root branch of the registry. the file types tab in folder options might have the option to edit each file type from there but in my experience it rarely gives all the context entries.

a risky solution would be find the context entry for one file type i.e.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\whateverfiletype\shell\whatevecuteftpsdir\

and note the command. then find a program that lets you do batch deletes of stings from the regestry. risky because you dont know what kind of dependancies there are to that particular command such as keeping the fabric of the universe together or the fine tip that the balance of the entire worlds stock markets balance on.

delete with caution son.
    usual regestiry editing warnings apply, your wife will leave you and your fiends will think you have bad breath etc.

Advertisement