Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vieira is much better than Keane.

• 15-02-2003 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Yet again, Vieira kept Keane in his pocket throughout today's FA Cup clash and served only to underline the fact that he is probably the best central midfielder in the world today. Anyone disagree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

yes i disagree

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Since your point in based on one match have to disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

The main reason why Keane didn't look good today is because he was on the loosing team. He didn't play poorly and not the same can be said of his mid-field teammates. Vieira had plenty of support around him, I wouldn't even nominate him as the best Arsenal midfielder. Viera probably edged it because he's that bit fitter, younger.. and not having to work on his own.

I would agree that Keane isn't playing his best, hes no longer a one man midfield - whether that form & stamina comes back is hard to know, but he doesn't have many years left for it happen. United probably could do with another "Keane" like midfielder to help out on the tackling, running around, controlling duties. Keane is currently a good player, but by his old standards he looks poor. But give the man a chance, hes not played all that many games since a career threatening injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gatheringdust

well are you making that on one match or in general??

keane is by far the better player..today he was outclassed, he wasnt his usual self....dont know why the team played c*ap.

it was like watching someone take your heart away from you when the scum scored that second goal!

anyway...that means mufc have less matches to worry about!!

ds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Is every team that isn't Man U... "the scum"?

I'd prefer Vieira myself, he's got a bit more class about him, rather than Keanes engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

tbh pie, to every other team man u are the scum, so we just hit back a bit :p

I prefer keane to viera when both playing well. Keane just seems to do that litte bit more imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

There isnt really much to discuss here. Without a doubt Viera played better than Keane today but as has been said thats just one match.

When both are playing at thier peak i always feel that viera is more creative where keane is the better defensively. A few years ago Keane probably had the edge, but these days i think viera shades it. Hey, Real Madrid agree with me :)

Having said that, its entirely possible that keane will keep viera in his pocket in the next meeting of the teams :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think they are both excellent players and I would not like to have to choose between them. I do not think Keane has been his old self since he came back from injury but hopefully that will come soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Keane has been a shadow of his former self since returning from injury. Viera and Keane are among the best defensive midfielders in the world, but neither are the best central midfielder in the world.
    That honour goes to Edgar Davids or Rui Costa imo.

That should cause a few arguments...;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dont forget the age difference guys. Vierra has lots of time to learn ,IMO Vierra just shades it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

That honour goes to Edgar Davids or Rui Costa imo.

I would definitely rather have Keane and Vierra then those two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hugs-E

If I was a manager and had the choice between Vierra and Keane, I'd choose Vierra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Viera is a younger and fitter player, I can see him playing for Arsenal for many years to come. He does not flinch from tackles and is quite a bit more creative than Keane.

would have in my team before Roy alright but having said that roy would be a good bargain basement buy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Vieira was not too sharp last nite against Ajax ..

he was kept under wraps by a 20 (?) year old south african - Pienaar (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

tbh none of the arsenal players looked at their best. Pires who usually plays amazing, imo had an off game.

Makes the gropu interesting with 3 on 5 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

keane is class!!! when it comes to that little bit extra keane is da man!!! always fighting for everything no matter what the score is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Phil Neville put Vieira in his box, in december.
    Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

.... and Viera has won a World cup and a european championship.

Your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by Dustaz
    .... and Viera has won a World cup and a european championship.

Your point?
    no he played on the team that won a world cup and a european championship!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Vieira tbh.
    It's close and I've had this debate a lot of times but I think he's the better of the two. I would pick him ahead of Roy every time.
    As for comparing Rui Costa to Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira well you cant. They may play in centre mid but they are different players. Rui Costa should be compared more with the likes of Zidane, Totti and Rivaldo (even though Rivaldo has been playing as a striker for the past few seasons I still see him as an attacking central mid).
    Vieira is better than Davids too imo, so is Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    keane is class!!! when it comes to that little bit extra keane is da man!!! always fighting for everything no matter what the score is!!!

Always eh ??

You mustn't have seen the Arsenal game, he was anonymous in the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

The Second half of the Juve Match showed a small glimpse of what Keane is Capable of.

Viera is very Agile for his size and is more creative in some aspects of the Game, but I think Keane sees things before they happen and often is at the start of an attacking movement.

They both have their pros and Cons, Keanes Major one Being Consistency, that is if he makes a full recovery and gets back to his usual self, as I said we saw a glimpse of this in the Juve Match.

Personally I don't think I could make a fair comparison.

I can't wait until they meet again, by then Keane should be back in the run of things, then I think we can make a fair comparison, presuming both of them play to their best.

Advertisement