Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

s**t - a problem installing sky!

• 15-02-2003 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

At long last the sky installer came after god knows how many weeks of planning (annoying ICDG member wanting to know about FTV cards, etc) and waiting.

Anyway, he came, told me that the point where the satellite dish is to be fitted is too far away from the room I want sky in and it would be too much hassle running a cable from the dish, down through to the ground floor.

Then he suggested putting the digibox in the attic. But then I would have to use a "magic eye :confused:" in order to change the Sky digibox channel, but I could have a "magic eye" with every TV in the house (apparently they cost €30 a piece) and would benefit from sky on every TV. The only problem with this is that I would need a telephone point in the attic. Also I would need to go into the attic to switch sub & FTV cards depending on what I watched.

I told him to feck off and let me think about it! Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what is the best solution? Have any installers here faced similar problems?

**I would prefer not to have wires trailing down the external wall of the house, where possible**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

How far away from the proposed site of the dish is the room?

(my father got Sky in to his house last year - the dish is one floor up on the SE of the house; the room is on the ground floor at the NW of the house)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Cancel it and go to an independent dealer, this installer is a total muppet and he is trying to scam you. The attic is the last place you want to put a digibox as the temp. variations will seriously shorten its life. If the cable run is long then you may have to upgrade the cable to CT125 but I have used CT100 on some very long runs without a problem. You may have to pay a bit extra for a long run of cable and the labour involved but you will get a better quality picture (scart lead) and stereo sound, which you will not get if it is placed in the attic.

Tony

Originally posted by muffinhead
    At long last the sky installer came after god knows how many weeks of planning (annoying ICDG member wanting to know about FTV cards, etc) and waiting.

Anyway, he came, told me that the point where the satellite dish is to be fitted is too far away from the room I want sky in and it would be too much hassle running a cable from the dish, down through to the ground floor.

Then he suggested putting the digibox in the attic. But then I would have to use a "magic eye :confused:" in order to change the Sky digibox channel, but I could have a "magic eye" with every TV in the house (apparently they cost €30 a piece) and would benefit from sky on every TV. The only problem with this is that I would need a telephone point in the attic. Also I would need to go into the attic to switch sub & FTV cards depending on what I watched.

I told him to feck off and let me think about it! Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what is the best solution? Have any installers here faced similar problems?

**I would prefer not to have wires trailing down the external wall of the house, where possible**

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Thanks! Could I still get sky pictures on the other TV's in the house (on the channel set on the digibox)?

Can you recommend any installers in the Connaught (Galway/Mayo) region?

Thanks! Could I still get sky pictures on the other TV's in the house (on the channel set on the digibox)?

Can you recommend any installers in the Connaught (Galway/Mayo) region?

Not really as I never recommend my competitors :-) Try the golden pages.

You will still be able to add the facility to watch on other tv's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I hope you caught his name, because I'd report him.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DMC
    I hope you caught his name, because I'd report him.

why? is this not the normal practice for a "reputable" sky installer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Installing the Sky box away from the TV is not.

why? is this not the normal practice for a "reputable" sky installer?

Well of course its not, did n't you read my post?

yes I did read your post Tony!

is there a special number I can ring Sky on to report him?

he isn't listed in the golden pages so he can't be too popular - i only got him on a friends "recommendation" although this friend is a bit of an airhead!

yes I did read your post Tony!

Then why ask the question?? I told you he was a muppet and was trying to scam you, does this sound like "normal" behaviour for an installer?

When you said sky installer I assumed wrongly that you had ordered directly from sky. IF you look on the customer copy of your contract you should see a retailer no which will identify your installer but if he's an independent its unlikely sky will pursue this as it will be your word against his.

Tony

• Advertisement

he did an installation for a neighbour and so far so good with theirs! but i'll abandon him and look elsewhere!

Thanks for the help!

Good luck

Advertisement