Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL in stab city

Options
  • 15-02-2003 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I'll be moving to limerick in the near future and i plan on ordering Esat DSL, more than likely business DSL option, question is how long does it take the makafakas to install it? What are gaming pings like on 256k/128k dsl? a stable 50 i would presume? If its longer than a mo0nth i might as well order it now heh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

check out this earlier thread.
    The Limerick enabled exchanges are Roches st in the city center and Dooradoyle. I have the basic business package (512Kbps/256Kbps) - pings are good & stable (currently playing Neocron & UT2003).
    GL with the installation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Thank you sir. Still the thread doesnt answer all my queries....what an ungrateful boi I am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

how can i find out what exchange i am on??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Any idea if bb/dsl will be available in castletroy in the near future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What's the story with Chorus Powernet in Limerick? How much of the town is covered?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by RapierX
    I'll be moving to limerick .. What are gaming pings like on 256k/128k dsl?

This product does not exist in Limerick. Good luck in getting ESAT to admit that it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Muck,

Esat launched DSL in Limerick a while back (2 exchanges listed above) I spoke with one of the reps at the time and he said that it was highly unlikely they would install DSL in Castletroy. He said that there was no room in the exchange, but I suggested that the cost of the fibre connection that they would have to build was the reason.
    They built a fibre connection from their POP in Colbert St. to Roches St. so I would imagine they were serious about DSL at least out of that Xchange.

I know of 3 companies that are current users of Esat DSL.

thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by thegills
    Muck,

I know of 3 companies that are current users of Esat DSL.

thegills

I mean the ESAT 256k product and ONLY the 256k product.

For the record, 512k and 1Mbit DSL is available from both ESAT and Eircom in most of Limerick city and has been for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

I was aware that Limerick had Esat DSL and i was being presumptuous that it had the 256 residential product , it being a city and just about the first place in Ireland to have DSL. Did'nt know eircom were there also, any idea on what scale? and where the exchanges are? Oh before i forget what kinda cap have the 512k and 1mbit connections? if its the paltry 4 gig i will cry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Gaaah - Dont want to move into the city just for a fast net connection. Maybe a pair of pliars and some sellotape can rob me some of ULs pipe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

> What's the story with Chorus Powernet in Limerick? How much of the town is covered?

Basically within LOS of Watchers Hill (most of Limerick city and burbs).
    I was considering getting it, but Chorus stopped signing up residential costumers since Dec 2001 - pity as its a good deal (54 EURO/month, 512k/128k, unenforced 3 Gig monthly dl limit, only ~50 ppl got it). I think you can still sign up for the business deal (roughly same pricing stucture as EsatBT ADSL but ~300 EURO installation & can be unreliable for gaming).
    I went for EsatBT, glad I did, as nobody is sure if Powernet will be around much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

there is no point going for Powernet now its around €100 per month and the pings are crap no good for gaming, but its good for downloading and i am getting it for €52 per month so i cant complain.you chould go for esat 512k or the 256k

Advertisement