Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All this talk of RTE in UK and FTV cards has got me thinking.

• 15-02-2003 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭

The amount of talk on this board of UK residents wanting RTE and Irish residents wanting english channels is huge.

Ignoring all the legal problems (i wish we could) Sky could make a tidy sum out of this.

The way it is now is that people like tony and west sat and making money on people who want a service which they cant have.

I am surprised RTE have not got some kind of UK channel espcially as they could charge for it and people would pay to get the irish news etc.

Tje same could be said for the BBc. i would glady pay extra for say the UK Channels to be included on my Sky sub as add on channels.

But as i have them free now and Sky have not closed the FTV loophole yet.(thank god).

I wonder is it a ploy on Sky's behalf we know the Irish have BBC cards but lets not say anything as its good for us, just like Microsoft who clearly made copying of disks in regards to operating systems and MS office "easy" in order to get people to install them on thier computers and they would eventually saturate the market which they did and still do.

Then put in security systems when people had no other choice but microsft and stick with it.

So what are people thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I am surprised RTE have not got some kind of UK channel espcially as they could charge for it and people would pay to get the irish news etc.

Anyone remember channel 178?

A good enough reason for RTÉ not to launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Sorry, Damo - what do you mean by this?

You know Tara TV was not owned by RTÉ. They had a 20% stake in the channel that came about because UPC (the actual owners of Tara) had debts to RTÉ in the early days of the channel's operation.

Later RTÉ would use this shareholding to liquidate the channel when it suited them. As yet of course, nearly a year after the demise of an RTÉ service in the UK, we have yet to hear any positive news from RTÉ on a replacement.

Is it any wonder people have to resort to gray imported boxes on both sides of the Irish Sea??

Advertisement