Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Maybe im missing something here, but why wud u wait yrs to buy a Starlet??????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Originally posted by rander00
    Maybe im missing something here, but why wud u wait yrs to buy a Starlet??????????????????????????????

i know what yer thinking rander buddy...
    i have a starlet already ive had it years and its modified, but i wanted to wait till i was 25 to buy a Starlet Turbo, cos i want to insure it ligit, and not have to pay throught my teeth,
    i know it will still be expencive but not as much as it would have been to insure it a few years ago, plus i probably would have had to scam it as a standard 1.3 for the insurance...

also i had a lot of debt to shift first hehe

Later
    Macker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

rander00 !

I just want to say that you are full of grease!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

@rander00

Right this is an old arguement which has been done before on this board but there is just a few things I would like to point out.

Its not the people who do up their cars that cause huge premiums for heavens sake man sticking a set of alloy's on a car is not going to cause your mates insurance to go up :rolleyes: . Its the people young and old out their that crash their cars that cause the huge premiums.

Most people I know who modify their car spend huge money on it between body kit, alloys, suspension, ICE, brakes. Doing up a car right costs a hell of a lot of money. I did it to my old Ibiza and I loved it, ok so it was only a 1 Litre but I did it for me not for everyone else. I wanted to give the girl a new look :).

Heres a question for you I have just bought another Ibiza (this one is not a 1Litre) and I will be swapping over most of of the parts (suspension,alloy's,speakers) I put on the old one and I have a new braking system upgrade on order.
    My questions are
    Am I mature enough to get behind the wheel?
    What is pathetic with the parts I have listed above?
    Would this class me as a knacker?
    Should I be allowed do this to a SEAT Ibiza?

Well here would be my answers.
    Am I mature enough to get behind the wheel?
    I am 24 and have been drving since I have been 17 and I feel I am mature enough to get behind the wheel.

What is pathetic with the parts I have listed above?
    Sweet FA. The alloys give me more rubber on the road which increases my grip and so I will less likely skid. The suspension improves my road handling and reduces body roll. The speakers are just cause I like to listen to music over a decent set of speakers. The brake upgrade gives my a 4 pot braking system on the front with bigger disc's, calipers and with braded brake line's all of which will stop the car a hell of a lot quicker.

Would this class me as a knacker?
    I hope not.

Should I be allowed do this to a SEAT Ibiza?
    Yes I should cause everything I have listed that I am doing to the car improves safety (with the speakers being the only exception).

One last thing what in your mind makes a sports car? Is it the looks or the preformance?

kayos

PS What sort of car do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Well, braking and suspension upgrades could be classed as safety upgrades if you drove at the same speeds as you did before the upgrade. In reality, much as you'd like to think otherwise, you'll drive faster in the knowledge that the car is capable of it - I know I would and many others would too - it's human nature really.

• Advertisement

Good point and TBH I will drive the same as I did before. Hell I have noticed that I am actually driving better in my new Ibiza for the simple fact I know if I push the pedal just a tiny bit too much and I'll go way over the limit that and it will drink a gallon of petrol in about 5 miles if I want it to.

Any way I intend using this Ibiza as a track day car as well as my day to day car. It would be a crime not to let those 200 horses have a good run every now and then :). So thats when I will be getting my speed kicks on a closed track where its legal to do it.

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Seen alot of ppl talking about using their cars for "track days".
    Now unless the situation has changed in modello or theres some other magical track i don't know about.....there are no track days for cars allowed in mondello. Bikes yes, as the run-off there is big enough for them, but not for amateurs in road cars, so i'm told anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Kayos, i wud not class u as a knacker. I dont have a problem with any of the things u done to your car. I agree with what ur saying, theres no harm in doing up a car or adding alloys or wotever. Some of my friends have Ibizias, civics ect. Im not giving out about ppl modifying their cars, its inexperienced ppl driving tuned
    cars engeine-wise, ive a problem with.

But as regards insurance, all these starlets + novas, are been modified not just with accessories but the enginens are been tuned aswell. These cars werent built for speed + hyping them up in power and putting inexperienced ppl in them is affecting insurance + is just asking for trouble anyway.

Ive nothing against modified cars myself, as i said i like alloys, spoilers and all that myself. Ive seen loads of youngsters in my area with hyped up, "not built for speed cars" and sooner or later they end up in the ditch.

"One last thing what in your mind makes a sports car? Is it the looks or the preformance?"

Both, no point having a performance engine if the car looks crap.

"What sort of car do you drive?"

Im only 20 so dont have my own car yet due to insurance (and novas been ditched every nite) but im a name driver on a Landcruiser. 3Lt engine. Its class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

modifyin cars aint any problem
    modifyin the driver into a dickhead who pisses people off is the problem :)
    and is that a leon cupra u got there?

@batman_oh Nope its an Oettinger Ibiza Cupra :)

@rander00 Well you see the thing is some of these Starlets and Nova's actually have been built for speed eg there are stock versions of Starlets that come with a turbo. The Ibiza would not really be classed as made for power yet they can be bought stock with nearly 200 BHP. These cars are different to the 1Litre version in a whole load of ways. They are made for speed they come with better barkes/suspension etc. If you see someone tuning a 1Litre they will tune it from about 60BHP to around 70BHP max now that aint a hell of a lot of power (I know having owned a 1Litre). Again its not these cars that pushes up the price of insurance for other people its the stupid little feicers that drive beyond their abilities that tend to hike the price up.

@bugs Ahhhh yes you can and there is even one on Paddy's day in Mondello it cost's a fair whack but can bring your car on track. THat one is actually going to be the full international circuit AFAIK. But any way its not just Mondello in Ireland there is Kirkstown as well.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Originally posted by rander00
    all these starlets + novas, are been modified not just with accessories but the enginens are been tuned aswell. These cars werent built for speed + hyping them up in power and putting inexperienced ppl in them is affecting insurance + is just asking for trouble anyway.

Firstly on the issue of starlets (and i think this was covered before) there is a Turbo starlet EP82 which IS built to handle over 140 Bhp with disks all round, upgraded shocks, strut bars etc.., i aggree the domestic starlet ep81r is not built for anything over 100bhp, but the ep82 has been known to handle way over 210bhp without upgrading anything other than the engine bay!
    if your unsure about this you will find on the net that the starlet turbo is the car of choise for draggers in aussie /new zealand etc where they appreciate that a car weighing 830 kg DRY, with 133hp @ 6400rpm (100kw @6400rpm) , and Torque : 16.0kgm @ 4800rpm (157Nm @ 4800rpm), and 0-60 of 6.9 seconds, all Standard. that the Starlet GT Turbo is a safe car and CAN handle the power Belive me!!!

and on the issue of inexperienced drivers, ok i will accept that there is these such people driving ALL cars not just starlets. BUT as i asked about 20 posts back "dont tar us all with the same brush" i am 25 with a full licence and have been driving for 8 years without so much as a tip, never had any trouble with the law and drive national roads day and nite whislt visiting dublin belfast cork waterford etc.. so i would consider myself quite expeirenced as a driver... yet i get the same bull**** when going for insurance. but im not on the board finger pointing, i have accepted that we live in a country run by gangsters and for them to have the "young driver" thing as a scapegoat suits them fine because they can use that to justify the ever increasing cost of motor insurance...
    Thank god they have put the wheels in motion on stoping the increasing, i believe we should have an insurance system where your only punnished if you have proven yourself to be unsafe, not just penilised for being a certain age?? thats thick, in other countries italy etc, you pay €700 and your covered on any car... thats it. but here they will never bring that in (i wish they would) but if they had a system where you keep your low cost insurance if you are a safe driver, it would cut down on a lot of (as you call them "boy racers") acting the ejit on the roads. its easy if you get points of endorsements you suffer higher insurance, it would solve a lot of problems and i know for a fact a LOT of people would wise up on the roads...

ok im finished hehe
    (sorry for any boagy spelling just finished a 12 hour nite shift ZZZzzz )

Later
    Macker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Since I run CruiseIRL.com and I've been responsible for the last 3 major cruises in Waterford I suppose I've some fessin' up to do.

The Reason I do - cos I enjoy it - it's great seeing some many people with the same interest showing off their cars to one and other. Doing rings handbrakes etc - thats all part of parcel of showing your skills to your peers - although some people should be discouraged straight away from even thinking about it.

As for tacky cars - well everyone doesn't have good taste and thats all I'll ever say on that.

No matter what anyone says about a starlet - they can't handle and aren't fast and look plain awful ..

Advertisement