Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Flashpoint? Does it get more exciting?

Options
  • 04-09-2001 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong. The game is fantastic, however if I wanted to play real war I'd join the army smile.gif

I guess being in the army means sitting in trucks and jeeps a lot and listen to one of your guys go on about his love affair with his gun.

I got as far as the set up base (3rd level?). After the last round having to be told to pull out and my whole squadron got wiped out because they wouldn't leave without me (and the armor tank just mowed them all down) I feel the stark realisation of war and want to go home.

Try 1: I machine gun my whole team to see if I can get away with it. For some reason one of them always gets me.

Try 2: I get in the jeep and get a lift to lorry. Woohoo, out of excitment I put two bullets into the head of the jeep driver and it tells me game over.

Try 3: I try to maintain my cool and not execute Kowalski for spelling Jeep with a G. I get into the lorry but the guy in front is too slow. I ram into him and he goes flying out of the car and dies. Have to restart.

Try 4: Not waiting for the jeep I drive the lorry off road and get there way ahead of the jeep. I loose control and run over my whole squadron (having to reverse up because I missed one).

Meanwhile the guy in the jeep is upset so I get back to him, and then he tells me we are on our way!

Well when we get there I realise if I get out of the lorry he will find out I killed everyone so I try to make a break for the enemy border to defect.

After ten minutes of driving off road and less then halfway there I come across a farm with a farmer in his JCB. Thinking I could get directions I get out and have a chat with my firearm. It's now I realise I can't get back into the truck so I have to restart.

Try 5: I play the game normal. When we get to the forest I get bored my team sitting back waiting for the bad guys so I run over the hill and kill the lot of them in one go. On my way back I shoot two of NME in the back that I outflanked and when I get back to the jeep two of the guys are dead and I complete the mission. =/

My point? The game is fantastic, however most of it seems to consist of sitting around doing nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Try 3: I try to maintain my cool and not execute Kowalski for spelling Jeep with a G. </font>

Its actually kowsowski tongue.gif
    But yea its a good game,but there is to much sitting about.But that is what real war would be like.And its purely based on realism.Quick missions r fun,but only 6or7 isnt enuf frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

i want the game so bad but it proly won't like my 350mhz P2...

...And now i will kill you... WITH DEATH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

you're right. it won't like 350MHz, unless you have a really good graphics card, but hey, OpFlash is worth buying a new PC for smile.gif

if only it had a soviet campaign as well as the NATO one frown.gif

i like driving M1 tanks off cliffs (or buildings) onto blackhawks, then taking control of the chopper, and flying away, with a tank ontop of my blades. Shame it's impossible to get out of the blackhawk and into the tank while airborne... still, i have been able to dump the M1 from 300 metres onto a Russian T72 with fantastic results.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Originally posted by Balfa
    OpFlash is worth buying a new PC for

dunno about that, I got it at the same time as a new pc and I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. damn q3a: ta and b & w! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have long stood by this game, trumpeting its merits form the rooftops, crying its name through the streets and being chased by smallchildren with their dogs and cruel, cruel sticks.

You've played 3 missions. Well done. Play some more. There is a bit of sitting around at teh start. There's supposed to be.
    Its all part of the atmosfear ;) It builds a false sense of security in you, whcih will be dashed soon enough, provided you play the game somewhere inside the boundaries of what a normal individual would/could do in a given situation.

Stick with it. When we're all on ADSL you'll be tankful for this game. i guarentee it'll come into its own then.

Tribes2 was a bit too early and lacked punch. This thing eats its frosties with adamantium gauntlets bedecked with studs and dog-tooth blades....... etc.
    I love it, speshully after me ram upgrade (which it likes a lot of)
    640Mb total atm

• Advertisement
Advertisement