Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Free) Boards.ie like forum/message board?

Options
  • 16-02-2003 2:30pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to set up a web besed forum for a web site. Although I can design websites, I'm html only, and know nothing about programming etc. I love the way board.ie works, and would love something similar, but php sounds far too daunting...

I was doing a bit of searching and there are loads of sites that offer free message boards/forums, but most are fairly crappy, or are packed with advertising. I don't mind it being on another site, so i can just link to it, or hide it with frames etc, but then again, I wouldn't mind paying for the service if it was really good and didn't have any adds... The thing is, although I'm only playing around right now, I have a plan to try to introduce a message board into the company I work for. I work for a large multi-national and I think that they have got some issues with knowledge sharing, and a I recon that a forum could do wonders for it...

I don't need a huge amount of space, just a few different catagories, but a few things like private messageing, e-mail notification, preview posts, and maybe even polls would be nice...

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Zascar

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

http://www.phpbb.com is very good.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Zascar
    Anyone got any suggestions?

You should consider requesting a private community forum on boards.ie and just link into it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://www.phpbb.com is very good. [/QUOTE]

Mate that looks amazing but as I said I've absolutely no programming knowledge... I downloaded it and played around for a while but I stil have no idea how to get it working...

What I would prefer is a completely web based version, where I can do all the admin without any programming... Unless some nice person wants to lend me a hand and set one up for me?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i'll lend you a hand to set up it up. Its very easy pm me with some moreinformation like the ftp site etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well, there are many differant kinds of message boards out there, if you are looking for ASP look at: http://www.webwhizguide.com they have a nice one and you can customise it without even HTML knowledge :eek:

Your bigger problem is really getting a good server for one. If your looking for a free server that is. It can be hard to find a good host, for ASP brinkster are usually pretty good. i dont know many PHP hosts but tripod are good but have ADS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Snitz forums is easy to set up and good as well. It's done in ASP

www.snitz.com I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭JOOROWNED

web based would indicate an active forums .. so either request one on boards.ie or sign up on ezboard.com which will let you try one out for 1 month before you have to pay anything which is then only nominal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

www.phpbb.org is very easy to set-up. We actually have a wizrd which does it all for you with all of our hosting plans. It's nice and simple and easy to customise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    www.phpbb.org is very easy to set-up. We actually have a wizrd which does it all for you with all of our hosting plans. It's nice and simple and easy to customise.

PHPbb is also not for corporate use, as many un licensed people fail to notice. Also any version under phpBB 2.0.4 is insecure due to many flaws and should in no way be supplyed to users.

Invisionz power board is however free and LEGAL to use and its also a lot prettyer and works so much better there are great skins you can take a look at how nice my board looks http://bbs.theboxnetwork.net / I recently updated it with a nice vBulletin skin and tweaked it to suit my needs.

They also offer free technical support via their site if you need it I have supplyed a link below.

http://www.invisionboard.com/support.cgi?free=1

Heres a link to the feature link.
    http://www.invisionboard.com/?features

You can grab invisionz at http://www.invisionboard.com/ its pretty easy to install.

Any questions on installing it give us a shout.

Best Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

PHPbb is also not for corporate use, as many un licensed people fail to notice.

phpBB is released under the Gnu GPL, and I can see no other licencing restrictions on their site. Please point to evidence of this.

Also any version under phpBB 2.0.4 is insecure due to many flaws and should in no way be supplyed to users.

Do you often supply out of date software to your users? Do you not upgrade your software when a security flaw is found?

It's "supplied" by the way.

adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta

phpBB is released under the Gnu GPL, and I can see no other licencing restrictions on their site. Please point to evidence of this.

[Also any version under phpBB 2.0.4 is insecure due to many flaws and should in no way be supplyed to users.

Do you often supply out of date software to your users? Do you not upgrade your software when a security flaw is found?.

Hello Dahamsta

I am after scraping around the web as far as I was aware phpBB was not free for commercial use, and i switched from it a while back this being one of the main reasons. I was advised by a person I will pull up on it this evening. I have read though the GNU and can not back my statement back I retract it.

http://www.phpbb.com/license.php

The reason I quoted how insecure old versions of the software where was due to a host offering his services when running phpBB 2.0.0 for his support forums.

(he was smart in a post last night on the web hosting board i was being smart back)

As for spelling errors get a hobby.

Best Regards

What does us running what appears to be 2.0.0 for our support forums have to do with the security of phpBB?

No offense meant Steve, you where able to point out how I upgraded 4 of my servers last week on another forum. I just pointed out that SOME host's phpBB needed to be updated due to the content I read on phpBB.com and then compared your version from the footer on your support board.

I took it has granted as if you yourself found it fit to use your current version in the lime light of your business on your main website that you would use the same version for your clients which you just publicly adverted above.

I really do not feel the need to discuss other peoples business policys over a live bbs, you did last week how ever when you made such a statement. So i will leave my discussion on this issue here.

Kinest Regards

We're actually running 2.0.4, just the templates are not displaying it. I still fail to see how this is relevant to the security of phpBB ? As it stands, it looks like a lame attack on a competitor, for which users can be banned according to the charter of these boards.

Post Edit: Your edited post is less inflamatory, which is good.

We're actually running 2.0.4, just the templates are not displaying it. I still fail to see how this is relevant to the security of phpBB ? As it stands, it looks like a lame attack on a competitor, for which users can be banned according to the charter of these boards.

Post Edit: Your edited post is less inflamatory, which is good.

I would hardly call your Irish based solutions a competitor, as my host does not even deal in euro. In the case of banning then in that case you would have been ban at the remarks in the post below. Or your constant trys at trying to flame me :D i am honoured to be honest. You are showing your true colours. I post here for fun I am friendly i dont try to flame people out of the blue. If a person bites you why the hell cant your bite them back harder? I dont use boards to gear any business towards me you do. Its not my fault if you want to go digging up stuff and posting it sure we can both do that. No harm meant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82711

I didnt even mention your companys name you will notice when passing my comments. :D

If the comments offended them I retract them. I just pointed out some text on your site.

Best Regards

Hi Tom,

With all due respect, my metion of your MRTG stats was because you linked to them in your post. This thread has gone ---waaaaay--- offtopic and really needs to be stopped at this stage. I still fail to see what this has to do with the security of phpBB ?

Hi Tom,

With all due respect, my metion of your MRTG stats was because you linked to them in your post. This thread has gone ---waaaaay--- offtopic and really needs to be stopped at this stage. I still fail to see what this has to do with the security of phpBB ?

You offered your phpBB as a feature in your hosting packages. Also yes it does need to be stopped. No hard feelings and I think we should let our differences lie, as I do know many people using your host and you are really good with friendly support.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Lads,

This very public squabbling doesn't do either of your companies any favours.

Just my two cents.

P.s. you might both request that your posts be deleted?

Quite right, I apologize.

Best Regards

Likewise, and perhaps the mods might delete the (non)relevant posts here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What does us running what appears to be 2.0.0 for our support forums have to do with the security of phpBB?

Hi Steve,

Just to let you know that, there has been alot of attacks on phpbb boards running 2.0.0 .

This is because somebody has released an exploit for it which gives any user an administrator account.

Now, I've read the full thread and realise your running phpbb2.0.4 . Now to fix the fact that your board only says 2.0.0 you can download the phpbb2.0.4 files and copy the install folder from it into your phpbb2 directory. Run update_to_204.php in your web-browser and your problem is fixed.

I think it looks bad that you don't seem (i said seem, i.e. it looks to me) to care that your forums could be percieved as being less than secure. It might turn customers away. I know it would put me off.

[edit to fix spelling]

Our systems install 2.0.4 as standard via the control panel and one of our guys is updating the 'house' forum atm :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

try www.proboards.com it is ad supported but it is EXCELLENT and you can pay to get rid of the ads I think it' bout 4euros per 50,000 hits or something like that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's Exactly what I am looking for... Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

A mate of mine set up forums using Invision Board that I mod on. Yes I'm monnlighting on another bb :eek:

He has no programming experience what so ever and said its dead easy to setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Diehoun

Out of all the forums out there, my top 3 would have to be...

1. phpBB
    2. VB
    3. IPB

phpBB is however the best one I think is out there since it's free!
    Demo : free forums

Way to drag up a 6 year old thread!

Oh the memories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Good grief...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement